Mitch - Unsung Hero?

Of all the people that have had HUGE influences on the surfboard’s design and construction, I am amazed that Mitch (of Mitch’s Surfshop here in SD) is almost never mentioned. I’m not sure the guy has ever shaped a board but his shop has sold blanks, glass, and resins that have launched a thousand careers. He is always at the shop, a quiet unassuming presence, willing to help anyone as long as they ask. The help in the shop is surprisingly knowledgeable, professional, and helpful. The more I have delt with the guy over the years, the more impressed I am. The next time you’re in La Jolla, stop in and tell him thanks for being there…

Lee-you’ve got that right…don’t shop anywhere else…

Just stopped in and bought a wetsuit and booties from him. Funny you mentioned thanking him because I did. I started going to Mitch’s in the late 70’s, 80’s when I was a student and didn’t have enough money. Before I tried to make a board, I would look for a new board with a blemish and he would knock off $20, can’t remember if those were the cheaper Dove boards or whatever he was selling back then. It was nice of him to give me a deal on just about every thing because I really was broke in those days. Now that I finally have some money, I feel a sense of loyalty. His shop sure has changed, its not the little shop with the back full of blanks. He carries a lot of high end boards and its 3 times as big. He was always a nice guy and continues to be.

Do you have his address and phone#?

Mitch’s Surf Shop, 631 Pearl St, La Jolla, CA 92037, 858/459-5933

Way to go Lee! I lived and worked in N. County so Lorraine got my business in Solana Beach but hey, it’s all in the family. Great people and a great business attitude. Thanks. Tom S.

Any one out there remember when Clark made it hard for the underground guys to get blanks?(I think he was getting flack from the big guys).This was around 1970.Mitch fixed all that,thanks Mitch. R.B.

Mitch’s method of doing business has been successful because he offers quality products at discounted prices to a clientele who is appreciative and sometimes in need of that savings. When I am in his shop, I see a lot more purchases being made as compared to other shops. Mitch doesn’t give you the “Big Sales Pitch”. He offers you advice that is concise and to the point, he doesn’t dillydally around. I don’t know why the other shops haven’t caught on, but so much the better for Mitch.

On the other side of the coin I have heard it said, that between Clark and Mitch’s, it is they who are responsible for all you wanna be back yard board builders, who don’t have to pay retail for your materials ( don’t go screaming at me, it is not my thoughts)

Mitch was Clarks answer to HANSEN,and GORDON AND SMITH, blowing thier own foam.

Does Mitch’s sell the Gephardt keel fish fins???