More Blue Rail Pair-a-bows

6-4 x 20 x 13N x 14.75T. Hope it rides as well as my balsa railed “chickenwire” that I broke fourth time out.

An idea of how the glue-up goes. I used the entire outline cutouts to glue it up nose to tail. This photo shows glueing a tail area that didn’t get enough glue originally:

Outlined, ready to shape:

Nose view:

It’s alive!!!

How thick are the stringers and what type of wood?

Quote:

How thick are the stringers and what type of wood?

1/4" Balsa

Nice, damn nice

Quote:

Nice, damn nice

Thanks, coming from a shaper I’ve long respected, that means a lot!

But the question remains, is this () a parabola???:smiley:

Is that 1 lb EPS or 2.5? what sort of glassing sched are you going to use? I’d be really interested in hearing how it works. very sweet looking board.

cheers

Quote:

Is that 1 lb EPS or 2.5? what sort of glassing sched are you going to use? I’d be really interested in hearing how it works. very sweet looking board.

cheers

Thanks SLP,

2 lb EPS, double 4 oz bottom, triple 4 oz deck with 4 oz patches for da feet. I made a fish a couple months back with similar rails and had no problems with glassing. On this one, the blue foam outgassed forming tiny bubbles both sides (heating up during bottom glass and cooling off during deck glass). Nothing major, but something to watch.

are your balsa stringers one piece of wood or did you attach multiple pieces together?

Quote:

are your balsa stringers one piece of wood or did you attach multiple pieces together?

ahhh so, grasshoppa, snatch the pebble from my hand…

In a way, it’s one piece of balsa. I “scarfed” the balsa and glued that piece to what would become the deck side of the stringer. This was originally about 3"x3" x 8’ piece. I cut the bottom curve into the original piece (scarfed) and glued that onto the top of the block. I then ripped the balsa into 5/16" strips and planed 'em down to 1/4" thick pieces to use as stringer material. I netted 7 quarter inch thick stringers from that block. I would rather have used a bandsaw and wasted less material, but mine didn’t work well so I went with a 10" table saw for more reliable results.

I think I could have made the stringers by gluing multiple pieces together, but I would do it using 1/8" or so strips and overlap the glue-up for more strength.

pretty cool way of doing it - thanks for the tip.

that board is beautiful!

Thanks Grasshoppa.

BTW- it’s Lab tested…