Most preferred bag material.....and board recipe....

harbor freight has a venturi vac pump for like 16$.You take off the red case and the chunk of metal is inside.A good sized compressor is needed to run it though,a pancake can get it up to 23"hg,you still nned a vac switch,mac valve,and vac gauge though.For about 100$ total you can be up and running.

Heres the box it comes in…

This is one of my vac setups,the gray box that resembles a pack of smokes is the venturi valve you would find in the harbor freight box.

Hey Jesus,

No vacuum switch needed. Set your compressor output to around 60 psi and you will draw a constant vacuum of around 12 pounds. The cool thing with venturi generators is that as long as the compressor can keep up with its output, the airstream doesn’t drop, and the vacuum doesn’t drop. Nice and steady. The compressor has its own pressure regulator. If i’m not hanging around till the epoxy sets, put a timer on the compressor to shut it down.

Make sure your compressor is rated for heavy duty. Those cheap oil-less ones burn out real quick under constant use.

Thats a cool idea,I’ll have to try that.If you have a bad enough compressor then you can be bagging with just a 16$ valve from HF,good stuff!

[img_assist|nid=1030196|title=compmaterial|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=77]

I am getting some materials together.

Bamboo : Franks Cane and Rush

Cork : free from flooring underlayment scraps

Bender ply :$20 for 4'x8' x1/8 poplar cuts with utility knife easy to shape-sand and you can roll it up.

XPS foam :$5 for 2"x4"x8' sheets at local scrap yard.

This is for a 10' gun build.

The cork and ply rails are way easier to build-shape than balsa for the wood rail feel.

Paul J style.

[img_assist|nid=1030197|title=vac set up|desc=|link=none|align=none|width=63|height=100] I bought the auto shut off switch and pressure gauge from Joe Wood Worker, the rest was free from garbage piles.

geev-um Ian

that’s my kind of a build

making surf stuff with the things people throw away.

Its the future no one understands right now

with the exception of maybe Sheldrake.

Just did several with blue and doorskin perimeter rails.

didn’t shape to well without a belt sander.

does that 1/8 poplar ply cut well without splintering?

I even found grain and splintering issues even with cedar/cork bands…

what i would do is pre-glue a sandwich of cork+wood+cork or wood+cork+wood then glue it up on rail with strapping/gorilla tape.

Paul’s rails are the best and prettiest just not as water proof as 100% solid corecel or HDPU bands…

cut cutting bands out with a box cutter is priceless as is shaping with a belt sander.

aloha

-b

Your right,that makes alot more sense now than when I read it the first time.

I am getting some materials together.

Bamboo : Franks Cane and Rush

Cork : free from flooring underlayment scraps

Bender ply :$20 for 4’x8’ x1/8 poplar cuts with utility knife easy to shape-sand and you can roll it up.

XPS foam :$5 for 2"x4"x8’ sheets at local scrap yard.

This is for a 10’ gun build. Ian

Hey Ian! Did that session on my 10’gun at Swayloholics inspire you?

What’s the outline, dimensions, etc.

Les