Need advice for repairing TufLite punctures

Tragic but entertaining in a twisted way.

Eventually get yourself some Resin Research or Fiberglass Hawaii epoxy resin and a few yards of 4 oz. fiberglass cloth & you can repair any dings to be clean tight & waterproof, attractive requires some tints, pigments, or maybe an airbrush, & a little more experience.

I am currently trying to raise my repair skills & confidence by tackling some of the worst cases I could get my hands on via craigslist. Not Board Lady level, just higher than before :slight_smile:

Epoxy is 2 component system you must mix to have harden réaction… Solarez blue UV epoxy is not a “Real” epoxy but a resin compatible with eps.

You must grind paint up to fiber where you want your repair to stick to the board.

If you use two-part hardware store epoxy as a quick fix - either use the 5-minute liquid that comes in two separate tubes or the solid sticks. In either case, make sure your surface is well prepped, and take a full minute to mix. Epoxy isn’t like poly, it won’t chain cure. Any resin that isn’t fully mixed with the hardener simply won’t go off - ever. Ask me how I know (think gloss coat on a balsa longboard… failed to adequately scrape the sides of my container while mixing…).

Once fully cured, the sticks will give you a more sandable finish then the 5-minute liquid. If you want it perfect, then hotcoat like a normal ding repair and sand it from there. Otherwise, on a Tuflite, you can use the ultra fine body filler corrector that’s used in bodywork applications. Fine sand and paint and you’re good to go.

Or, a better route is just to fix it like a normal ding - go through all the steps and then paint to match. You’ll get a result that you’ll be happy with in the long term.

This isn’t a complicated repair, just take your time, read the instructions (sorry, couldn’t resist), and take it step by step.

Enjoy!

Clean it all off and start over.  Do the repair in the proper manner.  Sand and touch up the paint with a spray can.  When all else fails;  Do it the right way.   Solar-Rez in a tube and two part epoxy putty was never meant to be used as a permanent repair.  They are temporary and not that effective.  Especially when it comes to being watertight.

Thanks everyone. I wiped off everything and started over. I got lucky- wherever I gobbed too much on it didn’t cure and I could wipe it off. In some critical places it actually cured nicely with a very thin layer - so I am not touching those spots. Yesterday I sanded down the remaining spots and today I am going to properly mix a VERY small batch and very lightly hit 2 areas that need epoxy.

I think I DO need to do some touch up paint over this white epoxy or in places where the paint rubbed off and I did nothing. What is the proper paint to get? In the past I’ve gone to walmart and just gotten acrylic paint from the art section. I think I got a bottle of purple and white and mixed it on the fly. Then when applying it, I go really light just do the absolute minimum paint so that the rough spots look ok. 

I am not optimistic I can do this touch up and get through the season (and surf sunday), and still leave the option open to get it professsionally redone/refreshed.  Thank you all!

My best bet for Spray/Rattle cans has always been Home Depot.  Larger selection and variety.  Damned lucky if you find anything that is a dead match.  But maybe close enough.

I can’t say for the States, but the French Surftech distributor also sells touch-up paint that’s supposed to be an exact match and usually comes in pretty darn close.

Could be worth checking into if you can’t find something close enough local.

Forget the painting and color matching. I know some verygood ding repair guys that sometimes screw up color matches and make the repair stand out more than the ding ever did. IMO, show off your battle wounds or find a cool sticker and slap it over the ding repair. 

Hey guys. My board is now water-tight. Redid the prior work using very light marine epoxy - just barely covering the damage but making sure it is water tight. In some cases I just slapped a sticker over top to be safe, in another case i slapped a sticker over an indent without any epoxy - it should hold it-it’s more like an indent not a hole. Then on the back where there is epoxy I also put some stickers on top, but they are white “Apple logo” stickers and this board is purple. Now my board is already a bit messed up in terms of various mixes of paint because at one point i used acrylic paint from Walmart to color in spots where the paint had come off- so I really do want to get some paint on this board and only keep the stickers in some places - but which paint do I need?

A few weeks ago I went to Home Depot as suggested. The woman said we will use a “sampler” of Behr exterior pain, but she said I need something to program the color. The pic on my iphone was not good enough (I know- it is not color accurate). I said well if i dig off a piece of my sup to give you I’d have to repair it even more. And I don’t want to bring my big board into home depot. So she gave me this thick color-card thing made by the paint company BEHR. I had to go home and look at which of the squares of paint most closely match the board color, and come back. OK so I took some time to find what looks like a very good match.

I live far from Home Depot so I went back to Lowes next. i showed them the color I want and I said I would like BEHR acrylic paint. But she goes - oh for a SUP emerged in water - we don’t have any paint for that. You need to go to a specialty paint store. So… where would I go? Do I need to actually get waterproof paint? I did notice that my board DOES have a clear coat above the color (because when I put some duct tape on it, and took it off, it took off the clear coat with it).

Thanks

I don’t know how things got so wonky.  SPRAY/RATTLE CANS.  NOT. House Paint!

Thanks. Do you mean I should or should NOT use house paint? I can’t get an exact match with spray/rattle cans.

Latex house paint on a hard epoxy finish will not stick for the long run.  In fact it might come off the first time you paddle out.  I have used house paint a lot; but on foam and under fiber glass, not as a finish on fiberglass.

I have used house paint a lot