Need Design Advice for First Time Shaping

Hello! I have never shaped a board but I have been drawing up several designs so I can. I am 6 foot and 160 pounds. I am comfortable on longer boards and want to get better on shorter boards. I typically surf a beach break that’s not super big.

My current favorite design that I have drawn up is a 5’8" retro fish style. The width is 21 inches and the tail measurement is currently 16 3/4 and the nose is 16 7/8. I have the rocker at 3.5 nose and 2 tail. I can’t decide whether I should make the thickness 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 inches.

I am indecisive on all of these measurements and would love some advice or tips on what to do or if I should change my current design. I am still learning and want to make a decent board. I appreciate the support, thanks.

Maybe you can search on shape3d warehouse or akushaper archives (and install the free versions…). There are a lot of models. Midlenght could be an option too, if you usually ride longboards.
Good luck

1 Like

Width at tail tips/points was traditionally 0.6 X max. width for a Retro Fish.

Good threads to start with:

1 Like

Thank you janop, I will be looking into those.

Thank you so much Stoneburner, this took me down a rabbit hole of valuable information that I will be using. I really appreciate the links and the help.

Here are pictures of the two designs I have made so far.

The first one is a 5 8 fish and the second is a 5 6.

I think I am going to make the 5 8 one since it is closest to a 6 ft board of my cousins that I have ridden before and will be less of a step but still challenging for me.

Is there anything fundamentally wrong with that design that I should fix before I start shaping the foam? Thanks.

More information to explore and compare.
“Blending Curves” rocker templates.

I like boards where the Rocker /Wide Point and Thickness all coincide.
Maybe try to scale down the 6’0" that you’ve ridden successfully.

It looks good to me!