Glassing went pretty well, with one major exception (you will see at the end)
Used a epoxy slurry to fill the open cells
Inserted leash plug, will dremel out the opening after glass cures
Deck gets 3 layer of 4 oz. cloth, then another 4 oz in the middle - a “stomp pad”
with the glare you can see there is no resin pooling
I used our large 30" fairing board to sand down the cured glass that overlapped the rail, then glassed the bottom with 2 layers of 4 oz.
before laminating then entire bottom, I reinforced the fin boxes. Over the center box, i used a strip of 6oz of 45/45 biaxial tape. Over the side bit boxes I made very small fillets around the box and put down 2 strips of 4 oz over the box (the opening to the boxes are tapped off). then the wide cloth went over the entire bottom. I was going to use the Uni-carbon tape, but it it way overkill, plus the biax tape is easy to move and work with with
The gray you see it from a little bit of gray pigment I put in to help me see where I had too much (or not enough epoxy).
So then I come back the next morning to be greeted with 2 big blisters!!!
you can see the big one here…
Somewhere, there was some outgassing , it moved through the EPS to the weakest spot and popped out - just like a tire or inner tube with a bubble.
My best guess is some reaction between the glue of the stringer and the epoxy. Sucks. I really spent a lot of time getting the lamination as tight and clean as possible, now I have to cut it out. My plan is to patch with some 4 oz. then go over the middle 5’ of the bottom with 2 more layer of 4 oz., at 50/50 resin/glass ratio that only going to add 1.2 pounds and it will give a lot of strength to the center of the board where my large self will stand.