New 2010 McCoy Model: Astron Zot

This is a single fin McCoy Nugget. I love surfing it when the conditions really suit.

Good shots Rohan…as usual.   Tell Geoff’s old grouchy arse I said hello next time you talk to him.

Yeah, great pics. Looks lovely.

What size board is that single?

I’m guessing those are the conditions of choice for the board?

Yeah, great pics. Looks lovely.

What size board is that single?

I’m guessing those are the conditions of choice for the board?

Hi Noel.

Will tell Geoff you said hello. He’s trying to talk me into an Astron Zot at the moment. Not sure if I can afford the money and space in my garage at the moment.

Cheers Rohan

Hi Strychnine.

The board is 7’0" x 20 1/2" (3" thick and a 16" wide tail).

Those shown are indeed the conditions of choice. It works beautifully at this size and will handle a little more with no trouble at all. It almost surfs itself in waves like this.

Cheers

Rohan

Geoff brining back the old Astron Zot name is a trip.  Might be my next board.  We shall see.  It’s been awhile since I spoke with him and it’s still super expensive to get them to the U.S.   But they hold up really well. 

http://www.downthelinesurf.co.uk/shop/item/247/Geoff-McCoy-Astron-Zot-shortboard

looks like a fun trippy little board. Noel - keep us posted on this design and if you get one...

would love to see that in person.

thanks

Great shots RDM

I was in the McCoy store earlier in the week  - I have an 8ft McCoy single which goes unreal but is a lot of board, walked away thinking about a 6’6 to 6’10 Astron Zot.

Mark showed me a range of Astron Zots ranging from 6’0 to 7’2. Shop prices for a spray and full glass job were from $1050. Have e-mailed Geoff about plain white with a basic finish…will see what it comes in at…and I might trade in my 8ft.

Thanks Bunyip.

A friend of mine has an 8 footer which I have surfed a few times and is great fun - as you've said though, "it's a lot of board".

Buying from Geoff isn't that much cheaper than the shops, but if you're going plain white and unpolished there will be some money to be saved - and of course the board will most probably be shaped by Geoff himself.

Here's a couple more shots from that day.

Cheers

Rohan

Hey Noel,

Count me in for an Astron if you are gonna bring an order to ther US.  I love my Nuggets!

Noel, Been riding that single 6’3 nugget and the 5’10 pot belly custom got from you several years ago. Those boards are so different from anything else seen or ridden. Getting used to letting the board generate its own momentum takes awhile, but they really perform great when the waves are in good form and poweful.

I’d also be interested in another custom, if an order gets done.

I think I would jump in on this as well or maybe a nugget.

Great post from Marc.

McCoys do surf like nothing else around. Marc has personally put me on two of the best boards i’ve owned. Out of interest, what size Astron Zot do you ride, and what fin do you use? How does it compare to your experience on your nugget?

Hi folks, interesting to hear what you all have to say. Surfboard design has been the subject of debate for decades, but those who have studied design throughout the years end in one spot; the science of physics. In that science, things with regard to surfboard design become clear. In other words, how water in different forms of tension reacts with the objects it comes in contact with is not a debateable thing. So, a surfboard design will react with a wave according to the shape of the objects components.

When considering buying a McCoy surfboard it is important to remember we are not following trends and that what we have created is a totally new object to go surfing on. There is nothing about our surboard designs that relates to other surfboards. Our single fins even more so.

So its not about just jumping on a McCoy and surfing like you always have, it's about a new experience in surfing. For some the McCoy experience will happen quickly, with others it will take time, and with some its taken a few boards and a couple of adjustments, and that will depend on things like, ability, understanding, time in the water, techniques, front or back foot style surfer, body type and weight, etc.

When choosing what McCoy design suits you, such things as your natural surfing style become very important. Wrong board for the wrong style and you have a missmatch and troubles straight off. Buying the right style board for your surfing is as important as buying the right size shoes.

One thing is certain, using the science of physics, McCoy surfboards will react with the wave as they are designed to. The rest is up to us as surfers.

Cheers

Marc

McCoy Surfboards

Great post Marc.  I have been saying the same thing here for a few years now.  McCoy’s principles can’t be argued with if fun is the ultimate goal and something you can count on in critical situations in the surf.  Are you in Oz or England?  You sound a lot like Geoff, but I guess many of us who believe in the product and the shaper end up sounding that way.  The neutrality of Geoff’s designs is under appreciated by those who don’t take the time to figure them out.  My experience is they allow you to be with the wave, on top of the water as surfing always used to be rather than having to dig a trench through the water continually to drive a board through turns.  Never once have any of my McCoy singles spun out or failed to gain and keep speed as I needed.  I have had them in out in double over head to thigh high and they performed well in all conditions.  Even my larger ones are loose in small waves and the quality of mine are about as good as you can get in this business. 

Tell Geoff I said hello and hope he and Mieko are doing great.

I've been around surfboards most my entire life. Working with Geoff on and off since 1971 has always bought me the greatest joy in surfing. I ride a 6'4~ 221/4~ 3" zot.

For my body type and weight it is much more board than required, but as i stated, when getting a surfboard many things must be taken into consideration. For me age is a factor so i ride a bit bigger board than i would have a few  years ago. While all my weight requires is a 6'0~211/2~3" when i tryied one it was simply too fast and reactive for my 55 years. So add a bit more board and the equation balances up and all is good.

The fins i use alternate between a gullwing 2 and 3 depending on the amount of drive i require. Positioning in the finbox is important too.

This is true customising the design to the surfer and takes time and understanding. One must know what thay are wanting to achieve or it can get confusing.

Single fin surfing is an art not a fashion. If anyone out there is having trouble, please contact Geoff or myself. We can help, we have the experience and the knowledge.

Cheers

Marc.

I look forward to coming back in to see you around August to order a zot Marc. By the way, the 5’8 you put me on is killing it - just as promised. Sean

The lost art.  My favorite slogan is Function not fashion.   

How is it going Casey.  You have had a couple of nugget style boards.   The little short fatty might be right up your alley.  Stay in touch.  Great to see you posting here.