New prices for Walker Foam ....

Called Walker Foam today because I was interested in purchasing a couple of their 6’9" blanks. What they told me next nearly blew my mind. If I were to walk into Walker and pick them up, they would cost me $100 each. They used to cost $48.00 each. The reason for me going to Walker is because they are substantially closer than going to foamez. The lady then asks me if I have a resale number, and it would be cheaper than buying them without one. Being the backyard guy that I am, I am not in possession of a resale number.

Next I take a look on foamez website, and they have the same blanks listed for $71.00. I’m confused … One would think that going to the source would be cheaper, but it’s not the case. Anyone here have any insight as to why this is ?? Quantity ?? Manufacturing costs ?? Gouging ??

A combination of volume purchasing, and “protecting” the wholesale dealers. A normal business practice. Be glad that a manufacturer of Walkers experience, and integrity is STILL in the business, and providing a quality product. Go to the dealer and pay the lesser price. Add the increase to your finished product.

Quote:

A combination of volume purchasing, and “protecting” the wholesale dealers. A normal business practice. Be glad that a manufacturer of Walkers experience, and integrity is STILL in the business, and providing a quality product. Go to the dealer and pay the lesser price. Add the increase to your finished product.

I can maybe understand volume purchasing, but “protecting” the wholesale dealers sounds kinda strange to me. My reasoning for this is that Walker seemed to have no problem selling blanks to me in the past, before the closure of Clark Foam, and would welcome my patronage. I would’ve had no problem with paying $71.00 for the blank, the same price as foamez, but $100 ???

I just opened up a wholesale account with the Bennett USA folks. Great prices! Go to the web site:

www.bennettfoam.us

Well,

There is always the option of getting a resale number. There’s not much to it. Argueably Walker is producing the most consistant high quality foam. Is it any surprise that they could or would raise the price, in the face of HIGH DEMAND for a limited quantity, quality product? When other producers get their shit together, and produce a better product, then price competition will begin as they compete for market share. Until then…

name should be bennett mexico , hecho en mexico

Yes true but it beats China, no containers, long leadtimes, and I like surfing in Baja!

WHO NEEDS CHINA? plenty of american manufacturers of foam.

I bought three blanks from Walker last summer. When I called about placing an order they told me that I would need to have a resale license, unless I was paying with an out of state check( which I did since I was visiting from Maryland).

I think that probably they are just going by the books now that there is so much attention focused on the manufacturers. They would have to sell as retail if you walk in with out a retail #, and now that they are so busy, they might have upped the price so high to discourage people from walking in and disrupting their pace.

Maybe you could have someone local with an account with them throw an extra blank on their next order for you. You could probably then get it for what foam-ez sells for without the wait and shipping charges.

You wrote;

“They would have to sell as retail if you walk in with out a retail #, and now that they are so busy, they might have upped the price so high to discourage people from walking in and disrupting their pace.”

Not having thought of that myself, I do believe you do have a very good point, but on the other hand in your opinion do you think that they are too big now to be bothered with the little guy ?? Almost to the point of star-itis ???

Shaka--------Call it what ever you want. It just sounds like more of that “whining” that I so often here when a guy who buys two or three blanks a month (as compared to “Rusty” or “Merrick” who buy two or three hundred or even thousand )can’t get the same price break. Things aren’t any differant with Walker than it was with Clark. For ten or fifteen blanks it was always easier and just as cheap( if not cheaper) for me to order them thru Fiberglass Hawaii or some other middleman than to place an order directly with Clark. I have heard that there is no price differance other than being cheaper to just walk into Ventura (Pierpont Scott) or FoamEZ. Use common sense: If you only need a blank or two or three, go to one of Walkers’ dealers. If you need ten, twenty, fifty or more: Get a resale# and got to the Walker factory down there in the Wilmington Barrio. McDing

Shaka,

I don’t think that there is any kind of star-itis going on. Joe met me and my daughter on a Saturday to take my order. I had spoken to him on the phone, and told him that I wanted to take a look at the factory and place my order in person since I was out there. He made an appointment with me to meet him since he had to go in to set up some new CNC programming. He wound up taking a good hour/hour and a half showing me around and explaining how things worked. He then took my order personally. I have had very few experiences with shop owners and retailers etc. as nice as that.

I think that it’s just a matter of running the business the way it needs to be run to keep up with demand.

It’s easy enough to get a retail license, just call your local county dept of licensing and pay a fee(probably $100-200) and it’s good for a year. Also, calling ahead would probably make it easier for them to accommodate you.