News Item - Aussie surf photographer drowns

Aussie surf photographer drowns

October 8, 2004

A WEST Australian surfing photographer found dead in France this week is believed to have died of a heart attack, it was learned today.

Kevin Twiggy Sharland was last seen on Monday evening after leaving a nightclub near the town of Capbreton, according to French police.

He was found on Tuesday in the water at Hossegor, the site of the French round of the world surfing championship that ended on Sunday in victory for Hawaiian world champion Andy Irons.

Fellow Australian photographer Paul Sargeant wrote in his column on the Association of Surfing Professionals’ web site that the tight-knit pro surfing community was stunned by the death.

“We lost a brother. Our photographer mate from West Oz, the mighty Twiggy, was found dead in the water at Hossegor,” Sargeant wrote from Mundaka in Spain, the site of this week’s WCT event.

"The French Coroner’s initial findings are heart attack.

“No words can explain to you the shadow of grief that has be-set us all here.”

Sharland was the father of two children.

Organisers of Mundaka’s Billabong Pro held a minute’s silence for Sharland between the first and second rounds of competition on Wednesday.

A lack of waves force suspension of the event today.

Sixteen Australians are among the 32 qualifiers for round three.

Plenty of time remains to complete the ninth event of the 11-event championship as the waiting period extends to October 16.

AAP

that’s SOOO sad…

My prayers and thoughts for his family.

I believe he was also involved in the surfboard industry as a glasser? shaper? sander? [I can’t remember which]

Taj and Jake will be hit pretty heavily by the news particularly… he seemed to do a lot of shots of them, and catto and other hot west ozzies, while at home.

A sad day indeed... 

ben

twig was best known for his polishing skills …

he was the one who taught me how to get a good shine …

i can do it … but somehow kev was the next level up for consistent perfection…

when i was younger , if twig saw a mistake in my work i got a cork in the arm ,if he saw two mistakes i got 2 corks in the arm …

he had this specialy grown thumbnail from hell , it was my worst nightmare when twig would inspect my work , any repair that didnt stand up to the thumbnail test had to get redone , considering he could peirce a double 6oz glass job with his nail , i eventually got good at it …

twig had a way of bringing out the best in people ,

needless to say , he introduced me to the concept of grommet abuse …

we had our fair share of fistycuffs , but eventually we worked out how far we could push each other …some of the practical jokes we played on each other at work over the years was bordering on criminal …

it was a funny friendship … during the day at work we sabotajed each others work and purposely inflicted pain on each other , then at night at the pub we were a team …

except if the talent was low , then it was every man for himself …

man i have to laugh …because we had this daily workplace warfare … there was often civilian casulties…

the most common one was the wayward masking tape ball , you could get em as hard as a golf ball if you really wound it tight ,sometimes they would miss there mark and an inocent bystander would cop it …

watching us guys fight , was entertainment for the rest of the crew at work …

this one time when i was working as the fin maker , he switched the catalyst in my squeezy bottle and heavily dilluted it with acetone , i ended up making 2 rubber fin panels ???

i got so busted …

he was working as the glosser at the time ,

he had this special , temperature controlled room with a door that opened out …

while he was in there glossing i rigged 2 buckets above his bay , with string attached to the door handle …

the first bucket with the shorter string , designed to come down first ,was filled with dirty wet and dry water still with the worn paper in the water…

then the second bucket with the longer string , designed to come down after was filled with sanding and shaping dust …

the plan worked perfectly ,he got wet then covered in dust ,the second bucket landed perfectly on his head , he was standing there covered in dust , a tub of resin in one hand a brush in the other and a bucket over his head ,

i got more than a punch in the arm that time …

we went out that night looking like a pair of crash victims …thats when twig showed me how to use sympathy as a tuning tool …

never had as many funny and interesting experiences with anyone else who is still alive …can honestly say , im feeling it…

one sad thing , twigs son is excited his dad is having a funeral ,obviously hasnt sunk in yet …poor little guy …

hes definatly gonna have a lot of twigs mates looking out for him as he gets older, i just dred to think what his son and my son will get up to in the future…

im out for a while …

got a friend coming through tommorow , were gonna get together with a few of the boys , while the mrs’s go visit twigs girl and the kids …

catch you guys when im up to it …

gonna go tell some twig stories and have a laugh about the good old days …

feeling sad , yet filled with happy memories…

cya’s

regards

BERT