noserider specs????

i am going to shape a noserider and were thinking about the following specs…could anyone improve on them? Length: 910 Width Mid: 23 ½ Thickness: 3 3/16 (thinner nose and tail) Nose: 18 ¼ (blended medium spoon/concave) Tail: 15 ¼  15 ½ (rounded pin) Glass: 10oz volan bottom & 2X 8oz deck w/knee patch Stringer: 3/8 Rails nose: down rails in the nose w/tucked under edge Rails mid: soft, full 60/40 rails in mid (no tucked under edge) Rails tail: pulled up (rounded V to deck w/no tucked under edge) Rocker nose: extra flat Rocker tail: extra kick (4+) Fin: 10 glass on FYI: most is really a combo from surfhungry & jim phillips…thanks

i am going to shape a noserider and were thinking about the following > specs…could anyone improve on them?>>> Length: 910 Width Mid: 23 ½ Thickness: 3 > 3/16 (thinner nose and tail) Nose: 18 ¼ (blended > medium spoon/concave) Tail: 15 ¼  15 ½ > (rounded pin) Glass: 10oz volan bottom & 2X 8oz deck w/knee patch > Stringer: 3/8 Rails nose: down rails in the nose w/tucked under > edge Rails mid: soft, full 60/40 rails in mid (no tucked under edge) Rails > tail: pulled up (rounded V to deck w/no tucked under edge) Rocker nose: > extra flat Rocker tail: extra kick (4+) Fin: 10 > glass on>>> FYI: most is really a combo from surfhungry & jim phillips…thanks just use a stock 10’1Y and cut out outline towards tail end, need at least 4.5" nose rocker.

Surfhungry: Would you care to share your approach to putting the contours on the bottom and rails on this board with a planer and sanding block? Tom > just use a stock 10’1Y and cut out outline towards tail end, need at least > 4.5" nose rocker.

Surfhungry:>>> Would you care to share your approach to putting the contours on the > bottom and rails on this board with a planer and sanding block?>>> Tom THIS IS THE BOTTOM MY FRIEND… On a 10’1Y I would bring down bottom thickness(keeping the flatness)with planer to desired DIM, then for a fast noserider I’d do a 1/3 nose shallow concave(planer)-1/3 flat mid(11" sanding block) -to 1/3 rolled vee(to deck)tail. A ‘slightly’ slower noserider is only concaved maybe 1/4 of length creating a resistance and lift from back of concave, then remove rail matl. from maybe 18" down nose all the way to square tail tips. I don’t want an up railed tail on a roundtail-only square, roundtals need soft or hard ‘down’ rails 18"up w/edge. The only tucked edge is on nose, so screen away to achieve 50/50 to up tail which you can blend into rounded vee quite easily but sidways viewing(in rack) is essentail as foil develops. Anything else? Remember hanging five can be done on a any piece of sh-t. Hanging ten is probably the biggest show stopping move and is worthy of its own design. Go for it, getting ten can stoke your whole attitude. I know for a fact…

THANK YOU!!!

Right, I’m looking at about 1/2- 3/4" of material that has to come off the bottom of my templated 10’1"Y to get that bottom roll and up rail in the tail. Say maybe 2 rail bands worth. Taking note of the down rail in the nose and tucked rail. My point is that I’ve never watched anyone shape a classic style noserider and I’m thinking that there is a (probably many) “lost” or missing step(s) in translating from “…You’re Now a Shaper 101”, books etc. to some of the classic longboard designs. I own a Takayama noserider, a vintage S/Hawaii Stylist II pintail and borrow a Midget Smith “Smugly” from time to time. They all three have similar designs to your specs, in fact you’re on top of it, down to the pintail. In studying the bottoms of these boards though there is a lot of bottom roll and railband type contouring required to get to that point out of a 9’1Y" or 10’1"Y. Thanks for all the good info you’ve contributed. Tom.

surfhungry – why don’t you like up rails in the tail on a rounded pin?

surfhungry – why don’t you like up rails in the tail on a rounded pin? They don’t bite into the wave face(with fin) for powerful/projecting turns. They are so uncommon I would have to assume the collective theories of shapers has ruled out their value except for squaretailed noseriders ala Con “Ugly”. Go look in any surfshop 70/30 or hard/edge only on roundpins.

They don’t bite into the wave face(with fin) for powerful/projecting > turns. They are so uncommon I would have to assume the collective theories > of shapers has ruled out their value except for squaretailed noseriders > ala Con “Ugly”. Go look in any surfshop 70/30 or hard/edge only > on roundpins. Had an original Con Ugly, back in the mid to late sixties. I surfed for the Con East coast team, so every year I would be able to ride his newest model. That “Ugly” was some nose rider (could grow a beard, just hangin out there) and for that era the board could turn. If memory serves me correct, he was one of the 1st, with a pretty radical tail rocker. Sure bring’s back some fine memories. Aloha