paddling catamaran

Yep, when I look at that Fish Cat frame, all I see is a big wave and twisted metal…
My son’s friend was talking about making a small bass boat with foam last summer. Been thinking about 4’ x 8’ sheets of XPS ever since.
Your project has set me on a different hull shape. I’m liking twin surfboard like pontoons.

That’s the plan. Windsurfer parts might be the way to go, but I wouldn’t use Tuttle boxes because the shape is unique. I’ll look at the things used to connect masts or foot straps. Probably also look at the costs of large carbon fiber rods instead of metal or wood. Our canoe used wood and that failed when my sister and cousin wiped out on a 4’ high wave.

I still have 2 surfboards to finish before I can start on this. So it’s still in the thinking about designs stage. I will also re-visit photos and video of Merv Larson’s surf ski. I was going to make one of those once, never did, but I made a 8’ x 24" x 4" sit on top paddle board, and I surfed it once. That thing would haul ass if I added oars. Shoots, I could cut that in half and use that as a starter. I think I have my first version!

moved to end

If you can find affordable carbon tubes/pipe, that might be a strong light option. Fiberglass tube/pipe might even work.
That sit on top SUP might be the way to go for a prototype.

Adding foot-pedal controlled twin fins/rudders could make thing interesting…

I would not recommend a catamaran design if you’re entering/exiting the surf zone - especially a rowing cat. I’ve paddled the Stewart and Ron House “standamarans” which were a generation or two before the SIC version and I would only suggest a rowing cat for flat water or open ocean paddling if the hulls and design are functional. If you want to see the original rowing cat google Buckminster Fuller’s Dymaxion Rowing Shell

If you’re on the east coast you can pick up a used Van Duyne surfboat off govt auctions for a few hundred bucks and throw boards inside to hit your outer reefs, go fishing, put a sail on it, or just surf the boat like they do in Jerz. https://vimeo.com/232084668 These boats take a beating and are easy to repair.

A couple of weeks ago, I brought a bunch of things from my mom’s house that have been sitting for many years.

I have two 1" thick x 16" wide x 8’ long EPS slices that I was planning on making compsand alaias with. They were shaped, but never got the wood skins or glassing because my brother and I had differences in opinions on them. I have 3 blocks of EPS foam that are 4’ x 4’ x 12" that I got for $5 a piece, and several slab style EPS surfboard blanks including a 12’ SUP blank.

I think the thin alaia style foam can be finished on a rocker bed to create a boat like rocker and may work out if I set them to get about 4’ of width.

That video with the row boats was interesting. Dad controlled the row boat using the oars sitting in the rowing position. He never used an oar as a rudder.