pinstripe stencil tape

surf source.net sell pinstripe stencil tape. it’s under addtl. materials. i’m a little slow so…basically i don’t get how it works. is it possible to use for pinlining a lap line?

Teddy: This is the 3M tape that has pre-cut strips. You lay the tape down and pull out the sections, some as small as 1/16", for the pinline effect. It’s good tape but difficult to make a tight radius with it, plus you have no way to eyeball anything but the outer edges, this makes it hard to know where the pullout strips are falling along your intended coverup. I’ve used it for laying down vertical accent stripes with paint on foam an hotcoat and it works great. Good luck. Tom S.>>> surf source.net sell pinstripe stencil tape. it’s under addtl. materials. > i’m a little slow so…basically i don’t get how it works. is it possible > to use for pinlining a lap line?

Teddy:>>> This is the 3M tape that has pre-cut strips. You lay the tape down and > pull out the sections, some as small as 1/16", for the pinline > effect. It’s good tape but difficult to make a tight radius with it, plus > you have no way to eyeball anything but the outer edges, this makes it > hard to know where the pullout strips are falling along your intended > coverup. I’ve used it for laying down vertical accent stripes with paint > on foam an hotcoat and it works great. Good luck.>>> Tom S. You can buy the narrow tape and use it as your spacer.Lay down one side of the pin and use the 1/16"or larger tape as a spacer…tape the other side butting it to the spacer tape…pull the spacer tape and paint the pin.I use this a lot on fat pins that are hard to eyeball…R.B.

what’s the best way to lay down pins?? here’s what i might try next: use a rail marking tool to lay out one line,tape it. then go back and extend the arm of the r/m tool about an 1/8th of an inch,lay out that line and tape that up. then paint inside the line. can you guys offer some good pointers?

Teddy:>>> This is the 3M tape that has pre-cut strips. You lay the tape down and > pull out the sections, some as small as 1/16", for the pinline > effect. It’s good tape but difficult to make a tight radius with it, plus > you have no way to eyeball anything but the outer edges, this makes it > hard to know where the pullout strips are falling along your intended > coverup. I’ve used it for laying down vertical accent stripes with paint > on foam an hotcoat and it works great. Good luck.>>> Tom S. Tom; Where you been? Did you get my emails? I haven’t heard from you so I just figured you have been working. I broke my finger surfing on new years eve, not bad but an inconvenience. E-mail me back Jon

Teddy, I use 3M P/N 6314 pull-out tape. you can find it an auto paint supply shop. $13.00 a roll (ouch!) around here. it has 2 1/4" sides and 8 1/16" pull outs, I love it. it is a little difficult to make tight curves but definitely do-able, kinda gotta stretch it. Tom, the best way I’ve found to use it is to fold it in half as you put it on, sticky side out, so you have 4 pull outs on each side of the fold. lay the tape right along the middle of where you want the pin, fold the other side of the tape down when done (this is where curves get hard), pull the two middle pull outs. perfect. make sure to rub it down well with a razor and you should have no bleeding. I use different variations of folding it for multiple pins.