Planer Research Thread

So what I have is as follows;  5.5 AMP A 971995,  7.5 AMP Type 4 F327962,  7.5 Type 4 E844135, and 7.5 Type 4 (no letter) 144889…  Pete also has a 7.5 that I don’t have any info on.

Thanks to all those contributing.  The planers you’ve shared above have been entered in the database HERE.  Keep them coming. The entries marked “Sways” in the Location column are from Badge pictures from this thread several years ago.  If you own one of those let me know and I’ll enter the proper name. thanks

what about the power in the 240W versions?

Aloha Gene,

I also have a 7.5 amp Skil, that I bought about 12 years ago, from a retired carpenter, in Canada.       I had PeteC put a short base on it, that was gifted to me by Terry Martin, through Pete.    I’ll go out to the garage and get the plate info, and add it to this post with an EDIT:( Skil Corp. Chicago, Type  4, Serial # H-144468)

The planer came with the metal box, and many extras.      Anyone with a Skil 100, should also have the sharpening jig, that is available through Mr. Pete Casica.     I love it !

Hi Bill, a picture of the badge would be great if possible.  Box contents is also helpful.   All black badge or black over red?  Thanks!

Short base was originally Midget Smith’s, but when he passed he willed all his tools to Terry.  Terry gave it to me so that it would be recycled into a working planer.  Midget had started sweeping up the Hobie factory shorty after Bill T left Hobie to HI, which is when Terry began teaching him.  It was only fitting that base would go full circle. 

I have two 190’s now.  One serial number starts with 730 the other serial number starts with 731 both are right side up. The 730 has no Patent number,  The one starting with 731 has a patent number.

Wow Gene, my planers are older than I thought! 1938 was a good year.

Does 730622 have the shorter reinforcement ribs on the base?

They only missed by 14 years.  Lazy ad men making shit up.