Plastic Fantastic Surfboards - circa now?

Howzit Kendall, I haven't looked but I believe that there's a similar picture (a few less people ) in Nat Young's "History of Surfing". I will look for my copy and see who the photographer was,Might have been Brewer( not Dick) Aloha,Kokua

Aloha Kokua - It might have been taken by Don Koplien.

Quote:
Quote:

That’s a great shot from a great time in surfing’s history. Does anyone know who shot it?

Dick Graham. The scan I posted is from the June 1970 issue of Surfing Magazine (Petersen’s). Graham is credited, outside the frame.

thanks

Hey Jim:

The first board I ever stood up on was a Plastic Fantastic single fin purchased off the used rack at the old 'shed on Main Street. Reckon it was shaped by you, yeah? I always admired your boards, but never knew why there were always so many of them around RI. Now I do. Funny that. Anyways, cheers for all the good info.

'Nother pic from that 1970 mag.

Looks like Turkington on the right. Same guy (?) in center/rear of group shots posted.

Thats a sweet old pic!  I just randomly stumbled across this site, pretty sure thats my dad in the lower right of the pic though.  He was one of the origonal owners of PF.

Howzit ggarner, Are you Jim's son? I know Jim is living on Kauai or was last year and was going with Patty Irons AKA Papya Patty. Never knew he was an oringinal owner with Danny Callahan and was always told it was another guy. I know he worked for them. Is he still on Kauai and Patty sent me am email just recently saying she was thinking of moving to the big Island andwondered if Jim and her were still together. Your and is a great shaper and Ibelieve he was a glasser at one time also. Aloha,Kokua

Howzit Epacman, If Don did it, then it must have been done on Hawaii since I am pretty sure that when the PF guys left the North Shore he stayed and ended up shaping for Lightening Bolt since I rmember riding a LBolt that he had shaped for a friend plus he lived right down the street from me on the North Shore. Before all that he lived in Downey and was on the Surfboards by Phil Team. Aloha,Kokua

Hey man!  I am Dave’s son.  As far as I know Danny and my dad owned PF back in '68.  I know he did shaping and glassing, I think back then he was doing shaping and then in later years did more glassing, but I am not positive on that. 

Here is an old photo that I found on Art Brewers website, take back in 1969 John Boozer, David Garner and Jock Sutherland, Pupukea, North Shore Hawaii

I have not talked to him in a long time, but last I heard from my aunt he was living out in long beach or riverside area.

Howzit ggarner, Ok I remember Dave but if he owned PF in 68 then how did Gary Thernagle end up with it.,Gary had told me that Danny Callahan and his partner got in trouble for not paying taxes and he bought them out and he had the business when it came back to HB and he was my mentor for glassing boards. Did you know Gary since he was about 6'10" tall so he was very hard to miss. Were you born yet when Dave owned it? I know he worked there but this is the first I have ever heard of him owning it and if he helped start it then it was with Danny Callahan. I know that Dave was glassing boards on the North Shore in the early 70's and maybe he stayed when the rest of the crew moved back to HB. Is Dave living omKauai now with Patty Irons since if not then Jim Garner is or maybe my brain has lost it and there is no Jim Garner and only Dave. Aloha,Kokua

Let me chime in on the Plastic Fantastic story... It was about 1973, I was 14 years old.  My brother and a couple of friends, we were hanging out (well, trying to hang out) at all the different surf shops there in downtown H.B.  Gordon & Smith, Chuck Dent, and especially Infinity there right on P.C.H. I remember Nishi hung at Infinity.  Cool guy.  Anyway, we ended up at P.F. there on the corner next to El Don Liquor.  Nobody was hanging out there because even we thought their boards kind of sucked. But hey nobody was kicking us out of there so we hung.  One day Bob Highsmith says, I'm sick of seeing all these brand new infinity surfboards walking by my window, why isn't anyone buying my F'ing boards.  We said, because your boards F'ing suck.  So he gave the four of us ten order forms each to fill out.  We took them home and filled them out.  In about two or three weeks these boards started comming in and they were hot!  I think he probably made at least twenty of those boards we ordered and he started selling boards. Before long we were kicking out the kooks who were trying to hang out there, that was our corner.  I was getting a new board about every month or two, the only thing we had to do is put the old one in the used rack.  It was about this time they came up with the SURF NAKED promotion along with the Plastic Fantastic Hot Hats.  Here is were I can prove all that I say,  Bob ran an ad in Surfer Magazine for the Surf Naked bumper stickers and the hot hats.  Please, if anyone has a Surfer Magazine from July - October of either '73 or '74 see if you can find the ad, because the guy in the hot hat, that's me, and I am dying to have a copy of that ad or even the whole magazine. I can remember the guys in the shop telling me, Hey Kurt, you have fan mail.  Girls were writing in from everywhere saying, who is that guy in the picture, he's hot!  give him my phone number, those bastards never gave me the numbers though.  Also about this time the master, my idol, David Nuuhiwa started riding that 5'4'' fish.  That was the length, right? because the ordinance was that anything over 5'4" was blackballed from the pier after 11am. So Bob opened the David Nuuhiwa surfshop there across from Wind and Sea.  I worked in that shop for a bit. I think that Bob was rolling in  cash at that time.  I remember him and my brother Jay used to go to Ascot Park and ride in Motocross races.  I never did go but Bob I think was Pro and my brother was very close to turning pro before he sold his bike so he could get high.  Yeah, it all went downhill from there for those guys I think.  I hung up my surfboard for a set of golf clubs and started hitting the links instead of the surf.  My Mom bought my brother a oneway ticket to Hawaii and the family hasn't been together since.  You know, I was doing some research on a BOSS Surfboard I have that I bought from a guy who apparently rode it in the 1982 OP Pro, and I ran across this web page that said the decade from '72 to '82 is known as the dark decade of downtown H.B. Not only because there were no surf contests but that town was like the wild west of punk rockers.  It was also in that decade that the HBPD got their hardass reputation which came to a climax with the riot of 1986 during the finals of the OP Pro.  I was there and even got handcuffed as an innocent bystandard, but that is a whole other story.  What happened to Plastic Fantastic after 1975 or so I have no idea.  I did see my man David Nuuhiwa though at a hole in the wall restaurant eating copius amounts of spicy buffalo wings in Hermosa Beach in about 1987, that guy is a one good human being!     

Was his nickname Honeybear and did he have a partner called Weasel?

I am bumping this up.  Some great history and names dropped.  Bob Highsmith has it again and by all appearances is doing a good job of keeping a great logo, name and company alive.   Lowel