Plastic Fantastic

Someone correct me but just ripping off the old glass will cause you huge issues huge chunks of ripped out foam.

You should carefully sand it down till the glass is paper thin and then it will peel, off.

Kokua:

Boy, that sure brings back some memories!!!

I think they are right when the old hippies say;

“If you remember the 60’s, you weren’t really there!”

I remember the fire,'s it was big news at CSULB as a

lot of the guys on the surf team rode PF’s at the time.

(I rode a Harbour)

Also, I member a few of those hollows blowing up at

the cliffs after being left in the sun for a bit too long…

I wish the Golden Bear was still there, they are building

a giant hotel on the spot of the old Infinity Shop…

Oh well…

Jim Wade most likely shaped that board. He shaped mosted of the PF boards at the time. He lives in San Clemente and can be located thru Brad Bashmans in the surf ghetto area.

If you strip the board and re-glass it it will be worth about $0.50 when your done.

Leave it alone. Sand it re-pinline and gloss coat and polish. Leave it as close to the orginal as possible to retain any value otherwise you will destroy a piece of history.

Howzit surfteach, Gary sold 7 of those hollows to a Santa Cruz shop and they all had pin holes and sank. Also watched Mizell make a hard bottom turn on one and the deck totally crushed. What was the name of the little cafe next to the Golden Bear? Aloha.Kokua

plastic fantastic reborn

a guy bought the label

and is making the board line again.

Is it joe cerrito?

has a cool planer lam

on the bottom

with the dimensions.

a guy brings me used ones a couple times a year.

mebe the guyu would trade you a shape for the board .

mebe search and contact him…

he could easily be a P F scholar.

I tink he’s in huntington or there abouts.

…ambrose…

Quote:

plastic fantastic reborn

a guy bought the label

and is making the board line again.

The Plastic Fantastic boards being sold on the East Coast are made in China and sold out of a couple shops in LI.

The first board I ever stood up on was a Plastic Fantastic swallow tail single fin.

Been on the road for a few days and just saw this post…

If you go and read the referenced old post about Plastic, you’ll see that Jim Phillips shaped the Plastics for the East Coast about the time your’s was made - they were not bootlegs as was mentioned (to my knowledge)…you being in Jersey, that would fit…I have a cherry 6-3 single fin from '71/72 - probably an 8 out of 10 - that I got in Jersey that was/is one of my all time favorite boards…oh, to be 22 again and be able to do it justice… but, my son learned on it in the '90s and it now has a spot of honor in the rack.

I like to think Jim the Genius shaped it…cause it is one very well shaped board.

The Plastics being hawked now are pop-outs - not worth the money…

Pete

Quote:

The Plastic Fantastic boards being sold on the East Coast are made in China and sold out of a couple shops in LI.

I didn’t realize that guy was doing PF’s also. He’s a pimple on the ass of surfing.

Quote:

If you go and read the referenced old post about Plastic, you’ll see that Jim Phillips shaped the Plastics for the East Coast about the time your’s was made - they were not bootlegs as was mentioned (to my knowledge)…you being in Jersey, that would fit…I have a cherry 6-3 single fin from '71/72 - probably an 8 out of 10 - that I got in Jersey that was/is one of my all time favorite boards…oh, to be 22 again and be able to do it justice… but, my son learned on it in the '90s and it now has a spot of honor in the rack.

Hi Pete – Mine, in ’71 or ’72 was from a shop in Lavallette, a 5’ 11” green opaque single fin. Bootlegged, or not, it was a fun summer. Mine was very generic and delamed quickly.

E-pac,

It was called “Custom Surf Shop” in Lavallette… exactly where I got mine…Last summer my brother found the t-shirt they gave me in his rag bin and gave it back to me - classic Plastic logo on the back. Jeez, remember when they’d even give you a tee when you bought a board…

The only problem I ever had with it was some cracking around the cut laps - no one free lapped in those days - someone had a heavy hand with the razor blade. Sanded and re-glossed it when I gave it to my son - he only needed it for a summer before he moved on to smaller and better things, since it’s almost 3 1/2" thick and he was about 85 lbs. at the time. Has red panels on the rails (now faded to an orangy/??). It’s a stringerless with triple, colored glue lines - 5"+/- offsets with colored foam wedges towards the nose.

Had/has a quote “Half the truth is often a great lie” hand written along the stringer - on hot coat/under gloss - on the deck which was partly obliterated when I did my first retro “through the fin box” leash hole a year or so after I got it.

Yes - a fun board for the time - and has served 2 generations of stoke now…

Just got a digital cam and will work on posting some pics.