Please define speed shape

Who knows what the builder had in mind.      That said, the board looks like it would work very well in ANY California reef break, short of Mavericks.      Local to me, Windansea, Sunset Cliffs, Swami’s, and any beach break on a big day.     On the North Shore, the smaller days (3 to 8 feet) at Sunset, Lani’s, Velzyland, even Pipeline.   The real ingrediant, beyond the outline, is the rocker and rails.     That has to be  correct for the chosen waves, too.    The board reminds me of some similar, nice looking boards, made by Resinhead.    The subject board appears to be a single fin.    At least I hope it is.

Bill

Thanks - that’s exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

hey bill yep there single fins. funny you say that i really like mctavish’s outlines I pasted in some more of my faves.

One range of boards named and tagged as “speed shapes” was the Donald Takayama Speed shapes. They were basically a longboard , with reduced nose dimensions , slightly drawn out and reduced tail dimms and reduced rocker . A very successfull design for bigger waves. The pictured board , I would regard as a speed shape. I made the blank some years back for Dick Van Straalen , who drew up the templates in collaberation with Mike Diffenderfer in Hawaii many years ago. It’s a single fin , and regarded as “retro”…(lol)…but it would handle anything comfortably that any similar sized modern design could work in.

Kayu That is a beautiful piece of work!

yes it is!