Polishing compounds and methods for gloss

Working on a gloss finish and am not satisfied with the polishing process. I have historically used off the shelf automotive polishing compund. Seems hard to work with (Slow) apply by hand. Is anyone using any other products. I see Fiber Glass Supply sells 3M products – anyone try these? Also, I see that some people use a special foam pad on a grinder to apply compound – any reports on how well this works. Thanks Shine – “a legend in his own brine.” http://users.leading.net/~shine

Working on a gloss finish and am not satisfied with the polishing process. > I have historically used off the shelf automotive polishing compund. Seems > hard to work with (Slow) apply by hand.>>> Is anyone using any other products. I see Fiber Glass Supply sells 3M > products – anyone try these? Also, I see that some people use a special > foam pad on a grinder to apply compound – any reports on how well this > works.>>> Thanks>>> Shine – “a legend in his own brine.” I have done a half dozen gloss coats. I buff them out with wet dry to 600 grit, then come in with the rubbing compound. I use the cheap compound, but you can get the good stuff from a Auto Paint shop. As for you question on applying, I us a applicator pad on my power sander to bring the board to it final stage. The applicator pad are at any Ace or Home Depot, it works really well. You can do it very quickly and it takes out any small scratches. I also use a buffing pad on my sander to take the compound off. It polishes to a nice finish. Good Luck.

There is no doubt that you need a good compound. The real key is to properly sand to 600 grit. Make sure you rinse your board and sand paper. Any left over grit from a previous paer can rescratch the board. Be thorough when sanding, don’t let the water fool you–it will look like you sanded good until the water dries, then you’ll see you didn’t sand so well. I buff the first compound with the polisher as the compound is still wet–messy, let it thicked and swipe a few more passes. Then buff out any remaining left over compound. Then use a # 2 polishing compound from any auto body shop. It can be bought at a fiber glass supply store. It ain’t no mistery, guys have been polishing fiber-glass since…

I haven’t seen this mentioned yet, but when wet sanding the board, a bit of liquid dish soap in the water helps a whole lot to keep the sandpaper from sticking to the surface being sanded. It makes sanding easier and improves the sand papers performance. Try it, you’ll like it! Aloha, OL

Amen, OLE LONGBOARDER…I do that, too! I’ll go “youse” one better, and tell the bros to use either DAWN ULTRA, or PALMOLIVE (green, original). for some reason, these two seem to really make a noticeable difference! ALOHA, T.

Amen, OLE LONGBOARDER…I do that, too! I’ll go “youse” one > better, and tell the bros to use either DAWN ULTRA, or PALMOLIVE (green, > original). for some reason, these two seem to really make a noticeable > difference! ALOHA, T. Besides…when you’re done polishing you can soak in it! (you have to be a certain age to get what I mean)

Thanks to all provided assistance. Yes, the compound pad on the grinder is the cat’s meaow. Picked up one at Ace for $4.99. Cut the work time by 80% and with better results. I am with you one the soap thing – plus keep the board clean – my secret is to use a window squegee between sanding grades to make sure the grits are gone. Thanks again. Shine http://users.leading.net/~shine