Polishing issues

Hello thraikill,

You’re right, is too coarse, just used it because in a part of my rails, i had a bump due to tape.

Can you explain better about the compounds to polish, and what pads to use? - I was searching, and found that should use a cutting compound before to the polishing product that i used.

I also saw that first is used a wool bonet, for the cutting compound, and then, for the final polishing, is used a sponge bonet, but I could not fully understand this process. Read in some topics about 3M compound, that’s like a mix of cut and polish. The product is 3M PERFECT-IT III fast cut plus extreme compound, looks really good.

Thanks for the tips! 

Hello newschoolblue,

After the lam whit pigments I did the hotcoat, didn’t give a clear lam. The process was, bottom pigment (1layer 6oz) - deck pigment (1layer 4oz + 1layer 6oz) and then I went to the hotcoat.

Thanks a lot for the complement!

Hello lemat,

Thanks a lot!

Hello, 

@llilibel03, thanks for the tips, will try to mix it in polishing compound. I agree whit you, for my fist polishing, I thounght to go outside, bacause it was sunny that day, but the clothes were all dirty, next time will follow the trick of @johnmellor and cut the holes in the trash can bag!

@McDing thats true, in dark background it’s easier to see more white dots. Will try to follow your tip. 

Thanks!

Hello gene,

I agree whit you, when I was sanding #600 #800 #1000 by hand, I was thinking that a machine will do a more effective work, and save me some time. Will try to do that next time.

Thanks a lot.

Hello reverb,

Here where I am, I do my own mix for the gloss resin. I try to mix the right amounts of additives, and with my limited experience, if the products are in good condition and with the right percentages, it will work good.

Thanks! 

Hello everyone!

Thanks a lot for your help on this topic, I was not expecting so many answers. All the information is very useful, and hope it helps many more people too!

If you can’t get glossing resin then consider more styrene in your mixture.  I’ve found that a thinner gloss layer has less chance of trapped air specks.  

That’s right Gene.  It is sometimes a month or two before I do a Gloss.  It is cold up here and that Reichold thickens quickly.   I doctor mine up and thin it way down.  I’m not going to recommend doing what I do or thinning the way I do because I would start a controversy.  But I never get pin holes or bubbles.

Thanks for the tip gene, I’ll have this in mind for the next gloss!