Question for those of you who wear hooded wetsuits

Thanks for all the help guys.  I decided on the 3/2 Drylock, which I had tried on at the store.

I know I should be supporting my neighborhood surf shop, but the same exact suit online was more than $200 less.  It's the same model and size I tried on, so hopefully I'll be ok. 

Dominic

Howzit noleash, Make sure there is a good return policy with the company since no 2 wetsuits fit exactly the same due to human error when they are cut and sewed. I remember the days when I wore wetsuits and would try on at least 8 of the same model and size and they each fit differently. Another thing is why would it be $200 cheaper unless its a second, just make sure you can return it if it doesn't fit right. Aloha,Kokua

another good suit to add to the odd fit basket is Hotline. I’ve had both attached hood and without hood in these, all chest zip. They are really good, but size in the opposite direction to XCEL - they are bigger than the size suggests. Same with Hotline booties (but this was a few years ago)

Well it must be great to be able to wear a 3/2 other than in July..haha Up here in the great white north, I'm in a hooded 4/3 drylock from Sept-Dec, then switch to a 6/5/4 for Dec,Jan Feb. Now March has rolled around, the 4/3 comes back out until it gets warm enough for the 3/2. Hooded most of the year with the exception on the hot summer months. When not in use, fold the hood back against your neck, don't even notice it.

Booties on the other hand..THANK GAWD for Excel Drylock 7mm booties and 3 fingered gloves!

If it's really cold.. a couple buddies don their Mares dive suits that are a full 7mm and even one guy has a NAVY dive suit that is 9mm!!!! try to pop up in that!

Ooohhh some day I may be able to surf in boardshorts....some day........

[quote="$1"]

Howzit noleash, Make sure there is a good return policy with the company since no 2 wetsuits fit exactly the same due to human error when they are cut and sewed. I remember the days when I wore wetsuits and would try on at least 8 of the same model and size and they each fit differently. Another thing is why would it be $200 cheaper unless its a second, just make sure you can return it if it doesn't fit right. Aloha,Kokua

[/quote]

Suit came yesterday and fits great.  I paddled it out this morning and I mostly couldn't feel like it was on.  Weather has been warmer than previous weeks but I was comfortable in the suit, though not "toasty".  I was only out about an hour.

No worries on the quality of the suit, I got the discount using a coupon I found.

I have the 6/5/4 and 5/4 hooded Xcel wetsuits - warm suits and for me a good fit. The hoods are superb and wearing it down is something I never do as it is too cold....(6 degrees here) . Wouldn't fancy wearing the hood down a lot of the time but to be honest it is fine and comfy. Oneill Psycho 5/3 for summer....does get a bit warm on the hottest days if I am out of the water.

No Leash,

I Surf a point break or two North of you (north LA County /  Ventura area) and my 4/3 O’neill Mutant was actually a bit of overkill this winter.

Here’s the main issue (IMHO) regarding attached / unattached hoods: drainage. I surf at night pretty often, and a lot of pre-dawn surfs as well, so cold air is more of a concern than cold water to me. On bigger days (1.5 OH +), it seems that no matter how well I adjust the face seal, I get a flush of cold water into my hood. Since my hood is attached, the next stop for that water is my torso, wasting precious pee.

If the hood was unattached, or had a better (better meaning any) drainage scheme; I might be more inclined to wear the hood more often.

A couple side notes:

The suit is perfectly comfortable with the hood back, and I sometimes like having the option to put the hood up during lulls (going bald sucks!!), and pulling it back down behind my head when I see a set coming.

The Mutant is a ziperless design. I haven’t had to have my Wife help me out of the suit yet! But a recent smack on a rock made me realize that it could be an issue if I was ever injured while wearing the suit.

Hope the Drylock works out for you! 8^)

[quote="$1"]

No Leash,

I Surf a point break or two North of you (north LA County /  Ventura area) and my 4/3 O'neill Mutant was actually a bit of overkill this winter.

Here's the main issue (IMHO) regarding attached / unattached hoods: drainage. I surf at night pretty often, and a lot of pre-dawn surfs as well, so cold air is more of a concern than cold water to me. On bigger days (1.5 OH +), it seems that no matter how well I adjust the face seal, I get a flush of cold water into my hood. Since my hood is attached, the next stop for that water is my torso, wasting precious pee.

If the hood was unattached, or had a better (better meaning any) drainage scheme; I might be more inclined to wear the hood more often.

A couple side notes:

The suit is perfectly comfortable with the hood back, and I sometimes like having the option to put the hood up during lulls (going bald sucks!!), and pulling it back down behind my head when I see a set coming.

The Mutant is a ziperless design. I haven't had to have my Wife help me out of the suit yet! But a recent smack on a rock made me realize that it could be an issue if I was ever injured while wearing the suit.

Hope the Drylock works out for you! 8^)

[/quote]

Night surfs, huh?  I haven't tried that in years.  Kinda freaks me out, to be honest.  Do you find that when surfing during the day, it all seems so much easier?

I have a couple of rash guards made by Victory. They have a 1 mil. chest and back panel and lycra sleeves. 1 has a hood. They are great. Like haveing a 4/2. Warm in the core where I need it. And still light in the sleeves so I can paddle.

Howzit noleash, Glad to hear it worked out fine for you since it could have gone the other way but then again these days the etsuit business has come a long way and can make exactly the same suit every time. I haven't bought a wet suit in over 20 years and that one was only used when I would be on the mainland during the cold water times of the year. Probably used it 10 times.Aloha,Kokua

[quote="$1"]

Howzit noleash, Glad to hear it worked out fine for you since it could have gone the other way but then again these days the etsuit business has come a long way and can make exactly the same suit every time. I haven't bought a wet suit in over 20 years and that one was only used when I would be on the mainland during the cold water times of the year. Probably used it 10 times.Aloha,Kokua

[/quote]

Yeah, I lucked out that way.  The suit didn't feel spectacular until it got wet, though.  I remember what wetsuits used to be like even 10 years ago.  It was enough to make me leave the sport for a few years, especially after surfing in your neck of the woods in trunks and realizing what a totally different game it was without the straitjacket (wetsuit) on!

I had a night job for 5 years in Santa Monica, and I lived in Oxnard. - I usually left work between midnite and two am. So, I checked (and surfed) Topanga, Malibu, and Leo Carillo most every night until the first truck showed up on PCH. If there were waves I surfed, if it was flat (and good vis) I would dive & spearfish. I kind of got used to surfing/diving at nite/alone. Not to brag (Much ;-)  ) but I’ve probably had more perfect solo sessions at Malibu than most anyone I’ve met - from two feet to ten feet (look at the informal buckling survey - that’s my 9’6" from July 24 of '09). I still get out at night pretty often. If you’re interested in joining pm me when the next decent south hits.

Really, surfing around the Northern LA / Ventura area, I’m far more concerned with other people (and them ditching their boards to get under 3 foot garbage) than I am anything else.

Oh, and to answer your question - a bit of an irony there - day surf’s (early dawn excepted), are much more complicated: the night crew generally has better manners, though I do find that nasty chop / backwash, and/or rocks (Leo) is easier to deal with during the day.

(@ Kokua: only used it 10 times??? Man, I am jealous!! 8^)  )