R.I.P. TWIG

to say im gutted right now would be an understatement…

can it get any worse…

id just attended my 6th funeral in just over a year, my mother in law had just lost a long battle with cancer, things seemed as if they would get back to normal …

its a few hours after the funeral , im stepping out of a pizza shop when i run into a friend , without even saying hi , he says " have you heard about twig?" the look in his eye , the expression on his face said it all …

i said "dont tell me " he said “im sorry you heard it from me ,twig’s dead”

suddenly that familiar pain was back…

i felt as if 4 or 5 years of classic memories , fun times , adventures and experiences , times id shared with twig , were stolen from me …

you know when you do stuff , and years down the track you relive experiences you had with the people who were there , how you laugh and say , remember when we did that trip up north, what about the pressed rat at the bakery , bert’s blue light taxi, the time you and gardi stuck that snake in with my leggies ,the time we crashed that party and the only people there were us and 15 chicks who had just finished year 12 boarding school…

instantly i knew i would never laugh over those same experiences with twig ever again…

you cant imagine what this guy was to me , he was such a classic part of my development as a grom …

he took me on my first surf trips appart from family ,he was the first person i worked with …

in my first job , for the first year i was his little buddy and off sider ,he was 23 i was 15 ,i learnt stuff from twig you wouldnt learn in school…

then as chance would have it we both moved down the coast , ended up living together for a while (before i could get my own place)and working at the same surf factory…

because i was still so young , he always looked out for me ,twig taught me how to spot the difference between a feral and a stray and why one was better than the other…

twig will always be the most original classic character your ever gonna meet …

i could tell funny twig stories for days ,he was such a likeable person , no matter where we went up or down the coast , he could pull out his little black book , ring someone and we would have a place to stay ,he would always have you in mind , even if it was only the ugly step sister…

twig had so many good friends , all of whom are pretty shattered right now ,

i think most of us are feeling a certain frustration , as the circumstances of his death are still somewhat suspicious ,

french police are calling it a heart attack and have closed the case…

even tho he went missing for a few days after going out one night , he was found floating in the harbour , with bumps and bruises to the head , maurice had the grizzly task of identifying the body…

everyone knows something isnt right…

one thing is certain …twig will be missed , big time ,i know i have a stack of happy memories and fun times , along with others who were in some of them , there will still be some fun stories getting laughed over ,and a few more getting told again …

i certainly wouldnt wanna be the people or person who may know the real story …

twig had to many friends to let it go that easy…

to one of my best friends ,twig , you were an inspiration to me …

master craftsman to ripping in the water and at the party …

the surfworld lost another great…

R.I.P. buddy…

regards

BERT

Sorry to hear it Bert. I’ve just lost two family members (fortunately to old age) this last week. But, as I told my sister who’s stuck out of the country working, the best we can do is take all the positives they’ve influenced us with and pass them along to those around us. Best wishes

the older you live the more of this we will see…our connection to this world and others beyond are being tempered ,the greif and joy of being inluenced so positively by these fine people only increases our gratitude of being allowed to live in their times…ambrose…nay that I knew him bless 'im and all he affected he is now in good company I know many of those that share those fields of peace and plenty… say hello for me.