Random orbital sander/polisher

Lemat, how does it perform as a primary sander following fill coat? Aggressive enough? Dust control?

all the best

I think near as festool rotex, same technology: excentric+forced rotary in turbo mode, need to compare speed of rotary and excentration. If i compare with my sander/polisher it’s as fast for my way toi do, i start with an harder grit but résults is fine because at same grit those roto orbital sanders live less scratches. With a vacuum cleaner connected in ventilate room you don’t realy need mask on flats, when all pad is in contact with surface. I have some free dust on rails. Need a better vacuum cleaner.

I was going to post earlier, but I wasn’t sure what brand I have. I use a Craftsman RO. I’m a cheapskate, so it was probably less than $100 and more like $50, but I don’t remember. I also use one of these. Not the best because it’s small, but I like the vac attachment. I also bought soft pads that you can stick between the sander and the sandpaper to do better finishing.

Sharkcountry; I am still entertaining the Dewalt (or similar) pictured in your post. Unlike my Porter-Cable it is direct drive (if you will) and so no complications that come with a gear and pinion design.

That Dewalt sander is not a RO, it is just rotary. Love the vacuum ability with the rotary movement.
It has a nice adjustable speed trigger, so you can set it low or high and lock it on, or pulse it. I do it both ways depending on how much material I need to remove. The soft pads will help it from skipping. Sometimes using it with just the hard pad and flat on the board, the sander will bounce and then it will dig in and you can make a mess. I need to have both hands holding it steady when I want to get aggressive.
I also love using my brother’s Festool, but I can’t spend that kind of money.