Re-inventing the wheel

Who else has slaved away at re-inventing the wheel? Due to some unexplained genetic flaw I am compelled to ask why do they do it that way? So I go and do it the other way and invariably find out the reason why they do it that way. Im not really asking the pros, but the amateurs. When I started shaping my own boards I was looking for speed. Now as everybody knows, flat means fast, rocker means turns. So my first boards were shockingly flat (True, they were quick and it improved my surfing, I can take off on almost anything now!) but those boards were dogs. So I added a little rocker, a bit of vee, sometimes a little concave&… What I am getting at is that after an untold amount of time and money I am now probably only about twenty years behind current design thinking. But ya know I reckon thats OK cause now Ive been there too.

The strange characters throughout the previous post are not expletives. I don’nt know what they are. Maybe i’ve screwed up the code somehow?

Another way to look at it: you don’t take somebody elses experience for your own. Flat is faster, fine, prove it… and after you’ve gone and proven it to yourself you come up with your own decision… which, often, is the collective opinion. But every once in awhile the conclusion is different, and ‘viola’, a new idea is born, and so comes the new shapes and materials, fin setups and superchargers, and yes, even the collapsable surfboard that can fit in the “boot” of your car. I’m the same way, and I’d bet the majority here is too, that’s why we’re here, we like to do things ourselves, even if it means finding out the hard way. Don’t look down, look up, there’s more going on up here…

Alex: Actually, your approach sounds logical - gain control of one factor before blending in another. Are you reinventing the wheel? Perhaps, but it is your wheel. Perhaps, when you are meditating on the next board or the one after you will have a moment of inspiration and come up with the great idea. If you do all your previous work will give you the confidence to ignore the nay sayers and develop your concept. Then the question will be: Should I have spent the time on something of greater benefit to society than a toy? The metaphysical questions never end. Enjoy the moment.Patrick

I think that question / observation extends much further than just shaping surfboards. How many times have you told your old man to #@%!-off only to do or think exactly as he said ten years later. Regarding the weird characters…are you cutting and pasting your text from another program? that could be the problem. S.

Mike and Alex, Checking this thread and the one below re: Boardworks have alot of thought provoking stuff going for them. Having surfed since '64 and having an 18 yr. old son who lives to surf (and breaks more boards than I ever thought possible - mostly snaps noses off) I can relate to reinventing the wheel. Besides trying to replicate some of the classic rides I’ve enjoyed over the years, I’m constantly trying to get my son to try some of those classics by shaping him some eggs/pocket rockets etc. while trying to incorporate some of the rail and rocker advances of the last couple of decades. Some I love, he’ll look at and tell me to */%#! off. Mike, think he’ll ride em in 10 years? Besides treating myself to some fun rides, there is the tweaking of all those elements going into the shapes that makes for some pleasant surprises in the blending of the different combinations. You’re never going to see any creativity like that from mass produced boards and unless you can sit in with a shaper, you could never get across what you’re after in most ordering blind type situations. So, why not work at it yourself? There’s no reason not to with the availability of materials and information (SWAYLOCKS) out there. The more curious surfers there are who want to truely experience what riding waves is all about will keep the full range of experimentation and custom board building thriving for ages. My first board involved stripping a Greg Noll “Da Cat” in '67. If I had held on to it, I could get $3000 or so for it today. But, the experience was worth a hell of alot more in the overall scheme of my surfing life. Value is where you find it - Keep at it Alex. Pete