Recovery operation for a botched rail/lap lam?

I'm gonna post this in its own topic since I think its kinda burried in the other thread, so sorry for the duplicate posting -

I was glassing my first board last night and ran into a bit of a problem - I was glassing it at night and it was about 76 out so I added an extra 5 drops catalyst per ounce like the instructions on the resin called for - BIG MISTAKE (forgetting I live in HAWAII and the temperature can rise at any time)! It went off way too hot and I ended up racing just to make sure the base was fully saturated. I got the nose laps perfect and the tail lap is so-so, but my biggest problem was that the rail laps just did not get saturated. I did the same thing and tried mixing an emergency batch of resin, but as soon as it hit the batch that was already on my board it turned to snot and I had to panic to get all the crud off. Now I have the base lam done but the laps are hanging off in a few spots. They barely took on any epoxy so I was wondering if I could just hit them with more and salvage them (this is a day later mind you), but when I tried I could really only get a couple spots that were totally dry to adhere any better...

My real idea was to cut away all the un-saturated cloth with a razor and to glass the rails separately with strips of 4oz glass tape so that it will overlap the base lam and rest under the deck lam. I was also wondering if I need to make my laps extra-long on my deck lam to be sure to fully cover the problem areas and avoid a blowout. The only problem is I'm not sure how much sanding I should do since this is the base lam and the deck is still exposed foam - Here's some photos of the bad laps - don't mind my ghetto setup, just workin with what I have

Catalyst…epoxy…Im lost now

Sorry - pardon my n00b speak - I'm using polyster laminating resin. Using the term "epoxy" was just a force of habit... this is my first ever board after all

Cut off the junk… sand it pretty flush to foam and run another layer of glass… thats what id do i guess… if u dont want to use more glass could just flip and make sure you get a good lap from the deck to the bottom… i use to do free laps now i only do cut laps its cleaner and just make life easier.

capt hindsight says :

What you should have done was have a cup of extra resin on the side, and a small 2" brush ready. You haven’t glassed before so you need to be overly prepared in order to do a decent job. Paint some resin on and use squeegee to push in. Work from center out otherwise those danglers will be everywhere. Before you attempt a double layer on the deck do more research, ask more questions, and go to a place where they are making boards and ask if you can watch a lamination. Offer to sweep up the shop and bring a proper respirator! You live in hawaii, connect with some people here.

tuf,

Thanks for the idea - I think I'm gonna go with the extra-long decklap to cover it just because I'm a wee bit limited on glass - I was just worried about that causing the bottom to blow out or something. I'll just have to be careful when I sand it - can I sand the lam layer in this case since I'll be lapping over it again, or do I need to somehow hotcoat it between lams?

Pico - that was my first thought as soon as I started glassing and poured out the first of my resin - shoulda had extra ready to go, DEFINITELY should've used a brush but unfortunately the only one I had on hand was knocked onto the floor during this whole process and contaminated. I guess some things you learn by failing miserably at. Heres to hoping the deck comes out better - I'll have to get a friend over whos glassed a few boards to help.

Whats your glass schedule… from the looks of it you should only be cutting around mid rail so u shouldnt need to overlap to much more than normal… go on youtube and watch some laminating vids… your board is kimda on track your just gonna loose strength not having the bottomlayer lapping. U can also search cut lap lines on swaylococks and sanding lap lines that kind of info will help u finish your board

Glassing schedule is light, 1 4oz s glass on bottom and 2 4oz s glass on top, with a deck patch around where the hands go for the "pop-up" (I always get pressure dings there) and another small patch on the bottom of the tail for the finbox

I figured I wouldn't have to go too far over, it should still cover it naturally but I have this beginners fear that the board is just gonna split open where I miffed it - would you reccomend laying a single strip of 4oz glass tape down each rail to reenforce it?

Split along the rail? Regardless you would still have a lap line its just along the rail imstead of on the deck if you take the time to smooth it out close to flush with foam all it should affect is snap strength… i have never seen a board split though… if its something you have seen and feel otywill help then maybe tape it

Either way you need to getthe lap line flush or u will have air bubbles under the next layer

You could get rid of the bad cloth, clean up the edge, and patch in the areas that got missed.  This is a pic of an old yellowed board I half-fast rehabbed - to get the "rail lap" look I just took a bunch of old fiberglass scraps, and basted them around the edge.  It was masked off and cut (once it gelled) to look like a standard rail lap.

I cut out the bad spots tonight and it actually looks pretty decent - a bit jagged but at least I didn’t tint it! Next time I’ll cut-lap and have a brush handy, maybe go with UV instead of MEKP too - I’ll post photos of the progression tomorrow

One bummer - I used the wrong ink to mark the dimensions on the base of the board and it smeared into a semi-readable black mush… oh well, I guess I can just pencil it in on the deck somewhere

1st hot coat untidiness.

now that it is sandable

sand it clean before glassing

and consider another like 4 oz from the 

botton with some tint…

it should come out clean

with a swell undercoat and sand.

…ambrose…

I personally would do a heavy

color splash on the deak  and squeegee fill

then hot coat and sand before any glassing…

give strength and depth to deck visual amusement.

it’s never as bad as it seems.