Rich Harbour Boardworks comment

Time will only tell if the molded epoxy pop out will survive. Pop outs have come and gone, Dextra, Cutlass, Tiki, HoneyComb, Hollow W.A.V.E., Hansen Stratoglas, Unique Nautique come to mind. None have survived. The reason I think this incarnation of pop outs are creating a stir is because they actually ride pretty good, to some surfers at least. I tried a friends 7 foot Merrick SurfTech and I thought it was pretty good, considering it was the first time I rode the board. Personally I have no reason to bash the current influx of pop outs be it molded or polyester. Its just plain business. I do feel for the people who may be affected negatively by their prescence though. Bottom line, ride what feels good.

I haven’t heard anyone talk about the polyester boards that Cobra and other places are making. These are the ones that are really hurting our business too. My funboard and longboards numbers are way down the past few years because several “hardcore” shops are selling tons of these boards at a cheaper price than we can, and making way more profit because they are only paying in the mid 200’s for these boards,full color,full polish. I don’t care for the Surftechs and others, but at least the prices on them are pretty high.The lower end Cobra molded NSP boards really sold well here also.I do tons of custom boards and there will always be a need for the custom board builder.The hardcore surfers are resisting the overseas boards, it is the tourist business that we lost. I actually rarely ever see one of the poly Cobra/chinese boards in the water or even in for repair. Where are they going?They are in that “couple times a year"guys garage or the kid that wanted to try surfing because of all the media attention it is getting.I’m optimistic.This surfing “boom"will blow over after a while,and these sell out shops will have no one to buy their crap product and hopefully it will get back to normal.Just take your board quality as high as you can, be innovative, make your boards stand out from others and have excellent customer service.Whether it is a first time surfer with tons of"stupid” questions or a"Joe Pro”, treat them well and they will be back for more business, hopefully with their friends. Surfing is an individual sport. Not evreybody wants to have a board that looks exactly the same as the guy sitting next to him. Thats what makes the custom board builder great.If you are good you can take a guys idea in his mind,transfer it to paper,and make him"its exactly what I wanted".Can Surftech do that? NO.How about the Cobra Poly boards?Haven’t seen it happen yet, but they may be able to some day.Anyway, this is getting a little long.Thanks for the space. Off to work I go.TEDK.

I haven’t heard anyone talk about the polyester boards that Cobra and other places are making--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Check the archives ~~~~~~it’s been talked about !