Sanded too deep on stringer - how to reinforce

He said there’s soft spots. Any time you can see weave and the glass deflects easily, then the glass layer is ‘cooked’. When you sand to the point that weave is showing, often times there’s been enough heat built up in the procees to compromise the lamination. I would definitely do two layers of 4 oz, after I tried to knock down the ridge at the stringer.

There was a heavy handed production sander who did piece work around S.B. for years.  He cranked them out and had no sympathy.  A friend of mine was a novice shaper and brought him some boards with bumps and high spots.  Came back with sand throughs.   When "Frank" pointed this out the veteran sander told him his boards were'nt flat and he should learn how to shape.  End of story.

Not cool but times were different back then.

I’m brand new.  This is my first board.  Obviously there are mess-ups.  I never touted myself as some sort of master crasftman in the realm of surfboard shaping.  But whatever, think what you want.

I might lay some 4oz glass down and see if I can fix it.  If not, I’ll live and continue to surf it like every board I’ve owned.  Into the ground.

I’ve learned to watch my high spots closely.  And instead of learning from a book or forum, I learned with an actual board.

So thanks for all your help.  And extremely emotional stories of n00b’s such as myself handing off poorly finished boards to be glassed and sanded.

A lot of people are wound way too tight in their responses here.  The poor guy just came one looking how to fix the problem....not to be called a jerk for trying.  Definately put at least one layer of cloth over it and refinish from there.  Sand by hand or with a soft pad if you have to so you don't cut into the cloth in the high spots.  Good luck.

Amen…

Some people need to clean the sand out of their vaginas…

Sounds like you got your answer Blake in a roundabout way.

Shape looks interesting. You’ll get better on the next and next

Surf it into the ground! YEW =)

Sorry for the F-Bombs Gang! But sometimes I just don't understand....nor do I want to understand.... why you have to attack a guy for trying to make his first board and he runs into a little trouble. Go figure!

But comments like "You probably can't handle the truth" or "it's obvious you can't shape", ....seriously!!! 

I'm sorry if everyone didn't pop out of the womb with your infinite knowledge and expertise fellas!

People come here to learn and often times because they're excited about their first attempt at making their own stick...and lack of experience they screw up a little! WOW!

Shouldn't this be the coolest thing a surfer can do! Why do some people have to crap all over the experience...just give a little...is it that hard???

There...I got all the sand out.... Cold beer...and sanding my less-than-professionally glassed HWS tonight..HA!..nuff said!

I just got on this thread,,,, interesting to say the least

my 2 cnts,,, like it or not,,,

The sander should have looked over the job and sanded accordingly,,, period.

the keel, concaves and rails are all contours of the design and the sander should have made an effort to change up tools as needed.

if the job was to take more time then charge more money to do the job right.

good thing that board didnt have channels in it ,,,,

sounds like the sander was just plain lazy and wanted to make a fast buck.

oh

to fix it just glass a strip of glass over it , feather it and hot coat then blend it

go surf it

Yup, me too.

Glad I got friends that will set me straight when I need it

the way I heard it was always hand sand the V.

the discription could even be a burn through from the polish guy.

I have heard complaints about sanders from day one

the scape goat in the process.

To hear a quote like the sander never lies

to explain away a sand thru is a classic for

the shop psychiatric ward,thats next to the beer.

…ambrose…

if you cant get the job done right

do it yourself.

I had a barber that cut my hair wrong

so I cut it again when I got home.

I never had to get that wierd

prefume and powder ever again.

Im new to shaping and definitely dont glass. What about the Bonzers w/ the deep double concaves/ vee. ls that much different than blakes? the sanding im talking about, in that area?

Like I said before

Good thing it didnt have channels

[quote=“$1”]

I say things sometimes just for educational value…

[ my reply]

And boy is that ever a valued education…

Thanks Prof. Rat… Surfboard PHD…

My life’s enriched from the reading experience…

Ambrose - you and I must be brothers from a different mother.  Maybe that's why I get on your nerves so much, LOL.  Anyway, good post.

I'll add my vote to the 'learn to glass your own' contingency.  From my first board I made I decided I wanted to learn the whole process, even 'tho I had never glassed a board before. 

I struggled with glassing, like everyone.  But after seven boards, I'm learning to enjoy it, and I now look forward to the glassing process, despite it still being a bit of a struggle, and the final product still being slightly less than perfect.

Woody…

There’s   nothing  I could add to your quoted post above  that would spell out louder  what’s  really wrong with some of the people on this group…

And the best part is… They sincerely feel we owe themselves and their inflated ego’s  the greatest,greatest of great respect, fanfare and gratitude… The saddest  chapter of the whole  Swaylock’s  story  I’m afraid…Pretty fucked up…

"Shouldn’t this be the coolest thing a surfer can do! Why do some people
have to crap all over the experience…just give a little…is it that
hard??? "

Ok. Ok.    I’m done… God…     This is hideous…

let it go stupid… note to self…

Kiterider,

Some things need to be said, and I’m glad you are here to say it. 

To get slammed because you put a heavy Vee in the tail, and the sander couldn’t figure it out. Really over the top.

G-rat, a hard look in the mirror and a little humility might be a good reality check.

A sander should spend a minute and feel the whole board with his hands before he puts the pad to it.  There is no excuse for sanding through ever. **EVER! ** I’ve shown two auditioning big talking hot shot sanders the way to the door after they tried to impress me with their speed while f’ing up my board.  No second chances.  My longtime sander has sanded 2000 of my boards, many with bevels, concaves, deep vee’s, hard edges, and never sanded through.  He knows what’s up on every board before he starts and he has a ton of skill.

Blakesinclair1 might be a novice but his double concave in front of the fin box doesn’t look that unusual.  The sander should have recognized it and stayed the hell off of it.   

Anybody that calls them self a sander needs to loose the attitude and prove their skill on every board.  And if you happen to sand through then take the blame and fix it.  

There, I got that off my chest.

...........surfboards................

I love surfboards ...sand throughs can be fixed....like Ken says....not a big deal....