Sanding Pads

Hi Rick, Fiberglass Florida usally has Super Soft in stock. Will make sure Greenlight, Fiber Glass Supply and Foamez are aware of Super softs. Thanks for your support my friend and really like your artwork, cool stuff. Mahalo, Larry 

Hey Rick,

We have some 8" Super Soft sanding pads on the way from Larry. 6" Hard/ Med / Soft always in stock. Guys like them because you can cut two 5.5" diameter sandpaper discs from a single 8.5" x 11" sheet instead of a single 7".

We're also having a "sanding sale" this month on Powerpads and Rhynolox sandpaper sheets. Check it out

http://greenlightsurfsupply.com/sanding.aspx

~Brian

www.greenlightsurfsupply.com

rdj, that was all back in the PU days. My two Milwaukees just sit there now, I don't use the sanders at all on our EPS. On PU I used the 7'' hard 36 disk (no PowerPad) deckside nose, and the squishy 80 mainly on decks to clean up.

[quote="$1"]

Hopefully Larry won't get too mad at me for this, but it's really easy to make your own supersoft/squishy for cleanup shaping. Just take an old PowerPad (even the best pads get gouged and chunked eventually) and glue a 2'' or 3'' thick piece of upholstery foam to it, then glue the paper to that. This is how we used to do it before they became commercially available. Good paper can last for 1000s of boards if just used on foam.

Don't ''shape'' with it, just for taking out scratches. Jim Phillips would crawl through my computer screen to kick my arse if I ever told anyone to use a softpad sander to cut contours.

[/quote]

Mike, You are right about the foam, had some guys do that here but wasn't costs effective to do in house so Super Soft Pads were created. Super softs were mainly created for the use in sanding and wet sanding the extreme crown decks and rails on longboards, because it would cut down the walking time. Some shapers then would start using the pads in helping speed up their shaping time, where a surf form or planner was being used before. The foam idea like Mike was stating, was great in contouring to the rails of the board. One thing to remember! Always click the machine while using a Super Soft Pad, very important because over 2000 rpm's Super Soft Pads of any kind or foam backing will blow apart from the fast rpms of your machine and fly across the room. Thank's for some History on the foam Mike. Mahalo, Larry

Good call on the RPMs there, Larry. I should have included that the squishy pads (or supersoft) should be used on only low rpm or rheostat machines. Mine's on a Milwaukee 0-2500 speed control.

I prefer sanding sheets WITH adhesive. Spray-on is too messy, IMO. Can cause imbalance, over time.