Sanding resin vs gloss resin

I gloss coated my first board yesterday and was amazed at how easy this coat sanded. When I put the sanding coat on it was very difficult to sand, it would clog the sand paper almost immediately. It sanded like it was laminating resin. I purchased all my supplies from Mitch’s in Solona Beach back in April. The only other difference was that I used Suncure catalyst on the laminating and sanding coats and MEKP on the gloss. Is there any reason to shake or mix the sanding resin before use (I did shake the resin to mix the suncure in the day before I used it and didn’t shake it again before use because I didn"t want the air bubbles). Are there any color differences in the laminating resin and the sanding resin? I noticed the the gloss resin was redish pink instead of blue-green that the other two were. Any input would be a great help before I start my next board. Jon

I gloss coated my first board yesterday and was amazed at how easy this > coat sanded. When I put the sanding coat on it was very difficult to sand, > it would clog the sand paper almost immediately. It sanded like it was > laminating resin. I purchased all my supplies from Mitch’s in Solona Beach > back in April. The only other difference was that I used Suncure catalyst > on the laminating and sanding coats and MEKP on the gloss. Is there any > reason to shake or mix the sanding resin before use (I did shake the resin > to mix the suncure in the day before I used it and didn’t shake it again > before use because I didn"t want the air bubbles). Are there any > color differences in the laminating resin and the sanding resin? I noticed > the the gloss resin was redish pink instead of blue-green that the other > two were. Any input would be a great help before I start my next board. > Jon Jon, I use sun cure too, the reason why it didn’t work is you didn’t give time for the wax to rise on the hot coat… Are you using the sun to cure it? if so put your board out for 10 seconds or less then bring back in for about 10 to 15 minutes, then take out and fully expose the board. Then you will be able to sand the resin…If you have any questions just email take care Mark

Que Paso Juan! How was the 4th in O’side? I’m betting that the UV application in your tent area went off too quickly and the wax solution didn’t have time to rise to the surface. Important with sanding resin and the pitfall of UV in this step. I’ve done it too! In your case it couldn’t be helped short of another layer of tarping etc. Best to stick with UV for lam resin and use regular catalyzed resin for your sanding/glossing steps. Good luck and send pics. Check out the National Amateurs at the Harbor next week or so. We won’t be there this year but lots of thirdcoasters showing up. Travis made the cut and could have competed but just too much going on… $$$$. We’re headed for a week of R&R at South Padre this Sunday. Later neighbor. Tom S.>>> I gloss coated my first board yesterday and was amazed at how easy this > coat sanded. When I put the sanding coat on it was very difficult to sand, > it would clog the sand paper almost immediately. It sanded like it was > laminating resin. I purchased all my supplies from Mitch’s in Solona Beach > back in April. The only other difference was that I used Suncure catalyst > on the laminating and sanding coats and MEKP on the gloss. Is there any > reason to shake or mix the sanding resin before use (I did shake the resin > to mix the suncure in the day before I used it and didn’t shake it again > before use because I didn"t want the air bubbles). Are there any > color differences in the laminating resin and the sanding resin? I noticed > the the gloss resin was redish pink instead of blue-green that the other > two were. Any input would be a great help before I start my next board. > Jon

I gloss coated my first board yesterday and was amazed at how easy this > coat sanded. When I put the sanding coat on it was very difficult to sand, > it would clog the sand paper almost immediately. It sanded like it was > laminating resin. I purchased all my supplies from Mitch’s in Solona Beach > back in April. The only other difference was that I used Suncure catalyst > on the laminating and sanding coats and MEKP on the gloss. Is there any > reason to shake or mix the sanding resin before use (I did shake the resin > to mix the suncure in the day before I used it and didn’t shake it again > before use because I didn"t want the air bubbles). Are there any > color differences in the laminating resin and the sanding resin? I noticed > the the gloss resin was redish pink instead of blue-green that the other > two were. Any input would be a great help before I start my next board. > Jon If you use UV for hot coat you need to add twice the normal amount of S.A.also. Best to use MEK for hot coat,let it go off,wait 10 mins. then put it in the sun to get real hard.

what type of resin do you use for laying up fins, laminating or sanding? Is it a combo of 2?

Thanks for all the help on this one. You where right I just put the board in the sun as soon as I finished smoothing the hot coat. I’m sure the next board will be even better. I’ll post pictures as soon as I finish polishing. Jon

what type of resin do you use for laying up fins, laminating or sanding? > Is it a combo of 2? …I lay up with lam, then hot coat with the rest of the board.

Jon - stir up your hot coat resin just before using each time. The wax surfacing agent floats to the top and can get poured off in the wrong proportion. If you didn’t shake it up before pouring, the remaining resin mix might be short on wax. Don’t do the shaking the day before. I mix my own with surfacing agent and laminating resin just before adding a little catalyst (as Kokoua suggests) and use immediately. If you have enough wax in the mix, you’ll see it rise to the surface - it starts to look slightly hazy rather than shiny. Don’t over brush it once the wax rises - move it to sunlight. For your batch that’s giving you trouble - try shaking it up and pouring some on a piece of cardboard. Let it sit about 15 minutes and sun it. If after 20-30 minutes, it’s still tacky, consider adding some extra surfacing agent. Gloss resin has some additives (styrene mainly and perhaps some UV inhibitors) that makes it “self leveling” and resistant to yellowing.