Santa Barnfield....Can you bring us a North Shore story?

Whenever you get the chance, I’d like to hear more.

Thanks Santa Bill, Gil

Sure Gunion…

What do you want to hear about?

Bill, please tell us a tale of the Pacific North West as well.

:slight_smile:

any funny stories from the lightning bolt days?

Bill

Maybe you give us your take on what I’d call the “Gerry Lopez Phenomena”…

Out of all the characters on the northshore from the late sixties through the eighties why was he able to become so successful and stay so balanced in a world of turmoil and chaos otherwise known as the surfboard building business.

It’d be a life good lesson for anyone sitting out there fantasizing that becoming a professional surfboard maker for a living is going to be a lot of fun…

Gerry( and in some way BK) seems to be an anomoly out of all the guys in his graduating class…

Hakman, Owl, Reno, Rory, etc etc.

BK I understand because of his strong LDS church connections but Gerry always had the opportunity to go the same way as the rest of them… Including his shaping guru Dick Brewer…

Gerry at Pipe…

Always sat deepest and slightly inside, away from the crowd and almost next to guys charging Backdoor…

NEVER sat with the aggro crew at the regular left, choosing instead to sit alone and maybe pick off one in 5 waves every couple/three sets.

Sit next to him, he’s the nicest guy, smiles, KNOWS you’re gonna pick the wrong wave. Even gives you a friendly fakeout move once in a while.

Watch it when he starts to shuffle outside barely paying attention…that’s when the bigger sets will roll thru, the ones you can’t make from anywhere but the shoulder, where the crowd hangs…

Seemed to be reading the humps at outer reefs, and keeps track of where the previous batch of sets hit, so he can drift into position while you are scratching for you life.

…and he took more a beating than most would believe, sitting deep and inside. Just he never made a deal out of it.