Saw a Kane Garden Boardworks Pop-out at Hansens in Cardiff USA

I thought it was strange that a glassing shop would put out a Boardworks version? I can maybe understand a shaper who is underpayed and just wants to put some more $ in the bank, but a glassing shop? Wouldn’t they be trying to outmarket and outcompete the pop-outs, not join them? Are they giving up and selling out to make a few more bucks? By the way, the Hansen’s shop has a ton of boards but I would say about half are of the Surftech/ Boardworks type. I like Mitch’s better anyway…

The KG was a Stu Kenson model. I didn’t see a Mabile one, maybe he refused?

If you’re going to get knocked off anyway, you might as well do it yourself. I don’t think the KG / Boardworks boards will compete with the traditional versions. A more likely target is Surftech, which like it or not has created its own segment. Not many surfers walk into a shop thinking they want a nice resin-tinted retro board, and walk out with a Surftech or Boardworks.

Maybe not right now, but in the near future, I’m not so sure. Also, when 50% or more of the boards are pop-outs, what will the next group of younger surfers purchase?

I like to think there will always be people who appreciate the finer things in life. Regardless of how perfect popouts become, they will never have the “I must own that… right now” factor. Handmade boards by master craftsmen will ALWAYS be in demand.

I keep going back to comparisons with guitars… since that’s my other thing… and the comparison totally relates.

Fender makes guitars in Korea, Mexico, Japan, and the US. Most of their guitars are made mostly by machines. You can buy Stratocaster or Telecaster models made in any location. They are priced according to where they were made. Fender also has a Custom Shop. This is where their best craftsmen make their best guitars. You can buy Custom Shop Stratocaster and Telicaster models too.

Korean made Stratocasters can be had for around $100. Mexican made Strats go for around $350. Japanese ones are around $500, US made Strats start at around $800 and go up. Custom Shop Strats start at around $1,500 and can go up to over $50,000. The Custom Shop is making more guitars now than ever. Demand is super high… just like the price.

The people who buy the Korean factory made guitars are beginers, have limited funds, are buying it as a gift for a someone learning to play, or just need another cheap guitar around. Custom Shop customers usually have many other guitars in their quiver… maybe even some Korean made ones.

I do. I’ve got hand-made custom guitars that I rarely let others see, let alone play, and I’ve got a few cheap guitars that sit out so they can be played by anyone who walks by. I’ve also got stuff in-between. I love guitars, but I lust over customs. I’ve worked with luthiers to design my ultimate guitar. The only thing like it that I know of is… ordering a custom board.

My quiver of boards includes fancy customs that I will cherish forever, some off the shelf PU/PEs, EPS/Epoxies, XPS/Epoxies, 3 Surftechs, and a Boardworks - that is on permanent loan to a friend.

Custom board sales will not be hurt by popouts. There are more surfers than ever, and surfers own more boards now than they used to. A lot of those popouts end up collecting dust in some garage or closet. Some are just decoration for a kid’s room or bachelor pad. I’ve got some because they surf predictably, they’re tough, they’re replacable, and I can loan them out to my friends.

Those who know… know. They will always know. There will always be those who know.

Good custom guys will always be in demand. Backyarders shouldn’t give a rat’s ass what the big conglomerates are doing. All you need are a few friends to be your followers, and your order book is full. I just don’t get the whole “the sky is falling” thing. When today’s kids grow up, some of them will have good taste.

Quote:

Good custom guys will always be in demand. Backyarders shouldn’t give a rat’s ass what the big conglomerates are doing. All you need are a few friends to be your followers, and your order book is full. I just don’t get the whole “the sky is falling” thing. When today’s kids grow up, some of them will have good taste.

My sentiments EXACTLY.

I’m not implying that the sky is falling, just that the tide is turning. KG boards are a staple for many people in the San Diego area and for a fairly large glassing shop to turn to a Boardworks model is pretty significant. KG’s are not super-custom high end boards like a Tyler or something either, just good, everyday boards. When all the beginners go for their second or third board and are coming off a surftech longboard, my guess is that they will reach for the surftech fish or shortboard too. I have already seen beginner friends who won’t even look at a poly board because they like the look/marketing of the surftechs.

I believe that the people who desire to surf there best will demand the best. I don’t know one guy who surfs above average that surfs a pop-out. The population of surfers that live to surf will continue to buy custom designed product. I have three surfboards in the works as we speak. My shaper is not going out of business. Let Surftech have the kook market. Some of them will develop the passion and order a board from you.

Quote:
do you define yourself as a surfer..

by what you surf

versus

how you surf…

Like my brother always reminds me

it’s not what you ride

but how you ride

I like to think I rip on anything (the mind is a powerful thing)… I like nice, just for me customs, but I’ll have fun on all kinds of boards - besides… if I kook out I can blame the crappy board.

Roger that. I have a ST Rusty shortboard, a Hynson Boardworks fish, and a few customs. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, and I like them all or I’d be rid of them. It’s why we have quivers if we can. I’ve had some lousy customs and popouts I’ve disliked. Popouts are for kooks? That’s just like saying longboards are for kooks. Ignorant.

Well said Kendall.

Being a bass player I see exactly what you are talking about.

Those KG from Boardworks are quite big even for fish.

Although I would not be suprisedd if that there will be much more of a divided market coming though than what you see with music gear.

More of the high-end boards and of the over seas pop-outs. I’m not saying that this would definitely happen but I would not be suprised.

Quote:

I like to think there will always be people who appreciate the finer things in life. Regardless of how perfect popouts become, they will never have the “I must own that… right now” factor. Handmade boards by master craftsmen will ALWAYS be in demand.

I keep going back to comparisons with guitars… since that’s my other thing… and the comparison totally relates.

Fender makes guitars in Korea, Mexico, Japan, and the US. Most of their guitars are made mostly by machines. You can buy Stratocaster or Telecaster models made in any location. They are priced according to where they were made. Fender also has a Custom Shop. This is where their best craftsmen make their best guitars. You can buy Custom Shop Stratocaster and Telicaster models too.

Korean made Stratocasters can be had for around $100. Mexican made Strats go for around $350. Japanese ones are around $500, US made Strats start at around $800 and go up. Custom Shop Strats start at around $1,500 and can go up to over $50,000. The Custom Shop is making more guitars now than ever. Demand is super high… just like the price.

The people who buy the Korean factory made guitars are beginers, have limited funds, are buying it as a gift for a someone learning to play, or just need another cheap guitar around. Custom Shop customers usually have many other guitars in their quiver… maybe even some Korean made ones.

I do. I’ve got hand-made custom guitars that I rarely let others see, let alone play, and I’ve got a few cheap guitars that sit out so they can be played by anyone who walks by. I’ve also got stuff in-between. I love guitars, but I lust over customs. I’ve worked with luthiers to design my ultimate guitar. The only thing like it that I know of is… ordering a custom board.

My quiver of boards includes fancy customs that I will cherish forever, some off the shelf PU/PEs, EPS/Epoxies, XPS/Epoxies, 3 Surftechs, and a Boardworks - that is on permanent loan to a friend.

Custom board sales will not be hurt by popouts. There are more surfers than ever, and surfers own more boards now than they used to. A lot of those popouts end up collecting dust in some garage or closet. Some are just decoration for a kid’s room or bachelor pad. I’ve got some because they surf predictably, they’re tough, they’re replacable, and I can loan them out to my friends.

Those who know… know. They will always know. There will always be those who know.

If I was an established shaper with a special model, I’d join the molded board group because it would allow more people around the world to ride my shapes, and I’d be making money without having to spend the time in a shaping room. Heck my boards would be available long after I lose the ability to craft them. There’s a place for that product.

Longboards are for:

1. The guys that NEVER made the transisiton to shortboards. I know a few. They still ride single fin 10’ boards and never wore a leash, ever. And they only have 1 board that they ride everywhere.

2. Older guys (old is over 60) who still like to get out and surf regularly. I know a few who still ride short boards.

3. The 4X large crew. You gotta be as wide as you are tall to be in this group.

4. People who are learning. You should stay on the inside if you’re one of these.

5. The wave hogs who use the extra paddling power to catch more waves.

It’s been refreshing to see the fish and retro single fins make a comeback.

There’s definiately a change in the works,and yes for the most part the sky isn’t going to fall.

My feelings are for the small guys in the business…it’s not getting any easier.

As for the hobbist /yarder/garage HO …Material shortages in the future many pose more of a true threat.Herb

Having surfed a bunch of Hydro Epics, I know that popouts don’t have to surf poopy. I just used to think most did.

The first few Surftechs I tried surfed like crap. After awhile I realized that any boards shaped like that would surf like crap - for me anyway. I moved in with my girlfriend (who has a pretty nice quiver of her own) a couple years ago. She had a 9’6" Yater Surftech that she bought for her ex, who never got into surfing. I tried it one day and fell in love with the way it worked. It now has tons of miles on it and it got me over thinking Surftechs all surfed badly. It also got me over thinking Surftechs were indistructable, since I’ve beat this one up pretty good.

Since then, I’ve aquired a couple more Surftechs and a Boardworks. These four boards represent about 10% of my quiver. They don’t represent what I ride 10% of the time. I’d say 50% of my surfing is done on a 9"2" Brewer longboard - that Dick shaped for himself and I wrangled away from him, or one of a couple replicas that I had scanned and finished by Michel Junod - these boards are identical in almost every way except the original was totally hand-shaped by RB and the copies were cut on a machine. They surf the same - magic (If you ask me nice I can have one made for you). The bulk of the rest of my surfing happens on a 6’4" Stewart EPS S-Railed Fish, a 6’4" Brewer XTR, a 6’10" poly Doc Lausch, a 6’4" poly John Moore Mystic, an 8’3" poly John Moore Mystic, or my girlfriend’s 8’6" Pearson. I’ll pull out special tools for serious conditions - like if I’m going to a gunfight, I take a big gun - maybe a couple. I’ve also got a 6’1" Brewer tow board just in case someone wants to drag me into a few. The next time I go to Kauai I’ll have RB shape me a few more boards. My daily driver will probably be a 7’2" round pin winger - single fin. I’ll also get some wave specific boards - like one for when Kalihiwai is macking.

The Boardworks - 7’0" Phat Pig - is on permanent loan to one of my good friends. It’s not his go-to board but it’s there if he needs it. He can throw it in the back of his truck without worries, or let his kids surf it. It also gets time wakesurfing is his lagoon.

A couple weeks ago I surfed SanO with a friend. It was small, and all I had with me were shortboards. He loaned me a custom board built by a relative newbie to shaping - he has a label and sells out of shops, but isn’t what I’d call a master yet. That board has a nice template, and the rocker is good, but the thickness is all off and consequently the board surfs like crap. I had to be way up on the nose to catch waves, then I’d have to jump to the tail to get it to turn, then back to the nose to keep from dropping off the back of the wave. Nice glass job though.

Sorry… didn’t mean to hijack the thread.

Recently I heard KG is in limbo for the near future. PSG (the glass shop) is suposedly up for sale and Harlan and Stu are in a legal fight for the rights to the KG name. As far as the BW KGs, BW will probably keep building and selling the molded ones until their contract end.