shaped blank and acrylic paints

I have a couple of questions involving finishing a blank and using acrylic paints. First off, what is the best tool or device to use to totally smooth out a blank, I use sandpaper on a block and also of course screen for the rails, but what else can you use to make the blank real smooth? Some kind of foam right? Also involving acrylic paints I have used them before and when I glassed it was strong but if you were to look real close there were some real tiny bubbles, does that mean the paint was a little to thick or is their something I can put on the paint so when I put the cloth and resin it will soak into the blank a little better. I guess I should be sure to squeege enough resin over the painted surface. Thanks for your time.

hi Paipo !

welcome to Swaylocks !

I use a square of foam with fine gauze or sandpaper to lightly “polish” the foam , as per the “shaping101” video.

The acrylic paint …are you brushing it on , or spraycans, or airbrush ?

I was told , when I mentioned areas where the colour was thin [after glassing] to be sure to spray back and forth , to cover any gaps in the paint job.

I hope this helps mate !

ben 

p.s. - is that a single fin you’re doing ? …looks nice . What length , width, nose and tail , and thickness measurements , please ?

What fin …glassed on , or finboxed [quivers of fins then !]

Thanks chip, the board is 20in. wide with the tail being 13 3/4 and the nose 14 1/2. Wide point moved a little forward. I tried to put a little flute in the nose. It will have a box and hopefully some interesting art work on the bottom, and a little color when I glass it. So that piece of foam you use how thick is it, I have a piece but it seems to be a little too thin. Hopefully will post some photos of the board progress. Thanks

hi paipo…

thanks for the measurements …sounds good .

My girlfriend wouldn’t talk to me for a whole day following “the chinese restaurant nose flute escapade” [not to mention the ear skewers !]

Ummm. oh yes… foam …

it’s about the standard seat cushion thickness …say , 5cms [2" for the metrically challenged]

hope that helps !

…" beware the nose flute water torture ‘chip’ "

Paipo, I use a foam pad 1" thick. (26mm) The foam is the same size as the screen: 8 1/2" x 11" and I cut one side of the foam in a grid pattern of one inch squares, cutting half way through, to give it more flex. The cut side goes down while you are sanding. Sometimes you need to hold the edge of the screen at the same time as you slide everything along the foam so it doesn’t slip out. Polishes nice. But be cautious around the stringers, because you’ll easily take off foam, leaving the stringers high.

As far as bubbles in the glass job where you painted: it’s all about the glass, not the paint. Just be sure you squeegee correctly, and use good lighting, so you’ll catch all those pesky bubbles before it’s too late. Doug

Hey Papio

In my experience with acrylic on foam it’s best to spray from different directions to ga solid colour, the tiny holes in the foam will fill better if you do this.

As far as getting your foam really smooth, I’ve used the back of the wet and dry sandpaper, probably equal to 1600 grit.

Make sure you blow or suck ALL the foam dust off before spraying, coloured dust moves with the resin…

Thanks for all the help and hopefully I can show you the progess of the board thru the painting stages and then its glassing as well.

As for those very tiny airbubbles in the glass, I was told the following:

Those little airbubbles in the resin actually increase the strength of the glass, but since it´s all about cosmetics of a board for the market, nobody wants those bubbles!

I would very much like to hear some opinions about that, since I (as a beginner) find them hard to avoid!

For finishing the blank I also use a cut foam pad like Doug with 220 grit Sandscreen. Works very good for me!