shaping as an occupation?

I am pretty much starting from scratch. The following that I once had built up has fallen away. A small following at that. Frustration and demanding bill collectors have had their way with my dreams. Backing would be great, but who would back a no name surfboard shaper? I am open to help in any way. So far the help I have gathered has been from the wisdom and opinions from this very forum. Not to mention the guys who inspired me to shape and educated me on proper technique. If I am going to see further then I must stand upon the nose of giants. I dont know if someone said that to me or if I read it somewhere but it is fitting. Thanks for your reply-

Hey ordinarycitizen, the giants will flick you off like a pesky bug.

If you really want a good view, climb the mountain. Whether you get to the top or not, the journey will be fun, and some great views along the way. Climbing can be hard sometimes, but rewarding.

Did you know even the biggest and meanest crocodile is only annoyed by one animal, and it can do nothing to stop it. That animal is an insect, a butterfly.

Keep at it.

Just keep at it.   Keep detailed ongoing records of all design, rocker, foil, outlines, fins and placement etc. in hardback and computer form.  Be in an area and surf locale to attract the local hotshots.   Spend some time on the North Shore.  Observe the marketing strategies of those who have done well.  Just keep at it.

I
hope you have that special Quality to set yourself apart. There are
1,000’s of good board builders today whereas there was only a few back
in the day.

To break out now is harder than ever.

You need
to be core: Live; Sleep; Surf; Shape; Design; Surf; Shape; Sleep; Surf;
DESIGN; Shape; Surf; Eat sometimes too. No side jobs just surf and
shape. No girl friends or wives to slow you down. TRAVEL and live in
the SURF CENTERS: NORTH SHORE for a couple of winters, GOLD COAST for a
season, CHILE for a winter, South Africa, Santa Cruz, San Diego, San
Clemente, Orange County. Basically the time it would take to go to Med
School or MIT. Let’s say 8 to 10 years of development. Experience will
set you apart. You will need an education by experience in this case. You need to be core
and have substance! You may have to go without a girlfriend for a few
years until you make it. You will need every penny to make boards.

If you want it bad enough go for it!

**Or you can go to school?

If you are good, the word should spread. Positive WOM (word of mouth) is the best way to move to the next level. I know many shapers, including my own, Rick Rock, and they have tried all kinds of things to move up. Quality workmanship and image seem to be everything. If they look good, and work well, you should be on the right road.

Mr. Fusion

http://fusionsurf.blogspot.com/

Rick Rock is the Bert Burger of the United States!