Should I get a 7,3 or 8,3?

I’m looking to have a performance egg shaped. Single fin, pin tail, volan glass. One of those stylin boards that are for cruising, yet can handle a steep hollow section with ease at low tide Rincon. Thing is, I can’t figure out whether I want a 7,3 or an 8,3. The nose, of course, will be wide with a slight point (about 18 inches). The tail will be pin, but will also be wide (about 15 inches), and a single fin box, volan, like I said. Now, I know that a 7,3 will turn a lot better, and an 8,3 will catch waves better, but I can’t seem to decide. Maybe you guys can help. You folks have more knowledge than I can imagine (very creative people at Swaylocks). My background: I am 6,1 and weigh 205 pounds. I have a it of a beer gut (thanks Heinekin), but I am a good paddler. I surf three to four times per week and am in good paddling condition. I usually surf for a minimum of two hours and a max of four hours. I surf Emma Wood often, Ventura Overhead (when it breaks) and Rincon a whole bunch, usually the Cove (longboarding) or the Rivermouth (for a mid length board). I also paddle out at Hammonds. My favorite wave is an eight foot face at a medium-low tide. Any bigger than ten foot and I usually find a smaller break. I don’t ride really big surf. The biggest wave I’ve ever ridden was maybe a twelve foot face (about double overhead). When it gets macking I usually break out the telephoto and take pics at Rincon. So, what are your recommendations? I appreciate your advice

Id say a lot depends on what youre riding presently. If you dont mind the big difference of paddling a 7’3" to what youre riding now, go for that. But if you dont want a big shock, go with the 8’3". I trade off between a 9 foot longboard and a 6’6" fish. The biggest consideration for me in choosing what board to ride is crowd conditions, how far out the break is and what mood Im in. Sometimes its frustrating knowing I could be catching more waves on my longboard when Im riding my shortboard.

Id say a lot depends on what youre riding presently. If you dont mind the big difference of paddling a 7’3" to what youre riding now, go for that. But if you dont want a big shock, go with the 8’3". I trade off between a 9 foot longboard and a 6’6" fish. The biggest consideration for me in choosing what board to ride is crowd conditions, how far out the break is and what mood Im in. Sometimes its frustrating knowing I could be catching more waves on my longboard when Im riding my shortboard.

Hi Dale, I have both a 7’2" round pin thruster and 8’ hybrid. I surf the 7’2" most of the time and only use the 8’ in marginal, mushy surf or in a heavy longboard line-up. The short board is fairly wide (21") so paddles pretty good and is a whole lot easier to duck dive, turn, etc.(I’m 180 lbs) The 8’ just paddles better, period. If you only want one board you got to figure what’s important to you. Higher performance or better wave catching ability.

Hi Dale, I have both a 7’2" round pin thruster and 8’ hybrid. I surf the 7’2" most of the time and only use the 8’ in marginal, mushy surf or in a heavy longboard line-up. The short board is fairly wide (21") so paddles pretty good and is a whole lot easier to duck dive, turn, etc.(I’m 180 lbs) The 8’ just paddles better, period. If you only want one board you got to figure what’s important to you. Higher performance or better wave catching ability.

I think you’ll struggle with anything under 8’0" if it has a heavy glass job. My suggestion is to make it on wide and thick side to give you’re self some floatation. The specific gravity of the board has everything to do with how it will feel. Heavy boards don’t accelerate as well but hold their speed better. No matter what you do there are always compromises. You when you gain one aspect of performance you often sacrifice another. Good Luck. Mahalo, Rich

I think you’ll struggle with anything under 8’0" if it has a heavy glass job. My suggestion is to make it on wide and thick side to give you’re self some floatation. The specific gravity of the board has everything to do with how it will feel. Heavy boards don’t accelerate as well but hold their speed better. No matter what you do there are always compromises. You when you gain one aspect of performance you often sacrifice another. Good Luck. Mahalo, Rich

i have a 7’3 x 22 x 18 x 15. it will catch any wave that a 9’0’ longboard does, even less than knee high. the difference is when the waves get a bit of grunt it will surf heaps faster than a longboard, i can noseride it aswell.

i have a 7’3 x 22 x 18 x 15. it will catch any wave that a 9’0’ longboard does, even less than knee high. the difference is when the waves get a bit of grunt it will surf heaps faster than a longboard, i can noseride it aswell.

Thanks Guys. I’m gettin’ it made today. My shaper is the man! I am going to go pick up an 8,8E Hopefully that will get the job done. Thanks again.

Thanks Guys. I’m gettin’ it made today. My shaper is the man! I am going to go pick up an 8,8E Hopefully that will get the job done. Thanks again.

No Worries, that blank will serve you’re shaper beautifully. Do post photos of the board when it’s done Mahalo, Rich

No Worries, that blank will serve you’re shaper beautifully. Do post photos of the board when it’s done Mahalo, Rich

The original nose rocker of the 8,3 E is 5 and 7/16 I had them drop the nose rocker two inches from center so that I have a low rockered board. What do you think? Is that too much? The rocker will be 3 and 7/16 at the tip of the blank. It should be a real wave catcher. Again, I’m making a speed egg, an 8,3 with green foam and volan glassing. It will have an 18 inch nose, 22 wide, and a 15 inch pintail. Old school, flat deck. So, think it will work for me? 6,1 and 205 pounds.

The original nose rocker of the 8,3 E is 5 and 7/16 I had them drop the nose rocker two inches from center so that I have a low rockered board. What do you think? Is that too much? The rocker will be 3 and 7/16 at the tip of the blank. It should be a real wave catcher. Again, I’m making a speed egg, an 8,3 with green foam and volan glassing. It will have an 18 inch nose, 22 wide, and a 15 inch pintail. Old school, flat deck. So, think it will work for me? 6,1 and 205 pounds.