Singlefins ideas!

Hey Huck!

Yes me too! My goal is to make this one or close in 6’1. Pray for me or more! 

They look especially cool when you are carrying them down the beach!  No talent necessary haha.  Guilty as charged.  

Guilty! And long carves, rail to rail, etc are so beautiful. 

I’ve made several over the years.  Without exception I’d surf one for a few months then eventually add sides to improve their range.  

If you don’t have fins out at the rail to function as the engine then having a template that’s short and curvy in the rear quarter virtually guarantees the boad will be slow in anything below head high.  You either need more length (and rail line) for those widths or you need a template that’s straight in the rear quarter.  

Fineline BeeGee has a wide/straight rear quarter so it’s fast even though it’s short.   A 70s “tracker” is a foot longer and has a straight line in the template.   Even a McCoy has parallel rails and a shtload of width (aka surface area) to generate the mojo.  

Curve is for control, straight is for drive.  

Thanks so much, a lot of great information in your answer. The Bluebird seems to have straight rails, a good lenght and a flat rocker. The bottom, however, it’s impossible to see from the pictures. The description says that it’s flat, but it must have some vee or double concave around the fins. Any ideas about the bottom?

Check this out.

McTavish Bluebird - History in the re-making from McTavish Surfboards on Vimeo.

Cool video, Harry.  Thanks for posting that.

I do have to agree with Gdaddy.  I love the smoothness of a single fin, especially in semi-decent waves.  However, when I was riding them constantly, I did tend to find myself wishing I had something I could use to push against to generate speed at times.  There are moments when you want to be able to step on the gas pedal.  I thought it telling in the Mctavish video that it showed him holding one with side-bites.  This is why I think the single-fin variants like in-line singles, the Thrailkill twingle, the Neal Purchase Jr. duo, etc. have more potential range.

Regarding bottom shape, there is absolutely nothing wrong with making it flat from nose to tail.  Don’t get too hung up worrying about vee or concave on your first draft.  

Best wishes on your build.  I hope you share whatever you decide to make.  It’s all fun, and all a learning experience.

I have a lot of single fins, but I like them on the longer side. For me from about 7’ on they work great. I think they work best with the wide point forward of center, and with a straighter tail curve, but I have a few that are not like that and they ride good. I also like a spiral vee or double concave in the tail. I think the mid length single fin is a great all around board.

All of my boards between 5’ 8" and 6’ 8" that started as singles have been converted to thrusters or quads. I think they work better with the side fins.

Hello! 

Thanks everybody to keep that post alive and continue to give some informations! Already saw that vid but it’s a good one even if its a commercial.

Just to explain, it will not be my first shape but my third and i got different surfboards already but i want to try a “short” single fin.

Just you to know my quiver for the moment:

• Purple Haze single fin custom by Phil Grace (living close so…) 6’8 20"7/8 2"3/4 (not sure to remember exactly but it’s a 6’8)

• A Plonka surfboard thruster with a lot of volume: 6’2 21" 2"3/4

• My first shape like a mini-longboard with diamond, boxy rails, flat bottom for summer 6’4

• My second a 6’1 thruster (i wanted to put a single but my tail was so thin :smiley: LOL so…) with a pin tail and my rails was messed up, very square. WP forward but with feeling.

• A catchsurf 5’6 quad/twin for summer or fun. Like a little skate, very funny, lot of volume and perf for a softboard.

So, now i’m trying to do a template from something work to improve my shape. Was thinking about the bluebird McTavish or Cannon Haydenshapes. But i think it will be the bluebird on 6’1 even if they are shaping this only on 6’2. My foam is 6’2A from USBLANKS so it will be too short for a 6’2.

Diamond tail. No decided yet for the bottom contours. Maybe a little concave and vee. Still thinking about it. I want to keep volume to be easier paddling and keep proportion so it will be:

6’1 - 20" or 20"1/4 - 2"3/4

For the rails, not decided too. If you got ideas.

Thanks for everybody and Alberto for the precious help! Still thinking about it.

PS: if somebody surfed a Cannon HS, i’m interesting for a review!

In the early 70s, that blue bird shape was what we all wanted. Usually with a lightning bolt on it. This is probably about 1970 or 1971. I’m the little guy with the blue and yellow board. That board was 5’ 6", I bought from the guy who made surfboards across the street from this beach.

You should be able to Diamond Tail that Shape3D no problem.

Yes I like that board too.  Good volume distribution (ie thickness flow).  That outline reminds me of some of the Dennis Ryder and Tom Hale templates.  Which were no doubt influenced by Aussies like Mactavish.

All true.

Ha!Ha!  Too funny bradda.  Looks great tho.

Great pic harry.

Classic!

Hehe nice!

If I was going to take another shot at a short singlefin I’d go with a diamond tail and a 6-channel bottom.  And I’d lay the channels with the same toe-in that the sidefins will use because I know that’s where I’m going to end up anyway.  

But that’s not a design I’d recommend for a novice.  

Just made the template of the bluebird! We Will see some action soon!

I hope you post pics of the build and the finished product!