Smallest to the Biggest

whats the smallest and/or biggest board youve ridden? http://members.cox.net/austinsurfboards

whats the smallest and/or biggest board youve ridden? 7’ and 9’10"

7’ and 9’10" Good thread! Back in ‘74, Tommy Petersen was building and riding conventional stand-up boards in the 3’6" to 4’6" range on the Gold Coast of NSW. Not utilizing wide, full outlines either, but narrow outlines with pulled in noses and tails. Almost no foam. He ripped on them, and got more than his share of waves in a crowd. It was unbelievable. Remember the 4’6" black-ball boards in Huntington in the late 60’s? I think Frye has topped out at 13’6". Either Hobie or Munoz made a 16’ board with conventional proportions in the early 60’s. Maybe it was supposed to be a tandem board, but Phil Edwards could ride it single handedly. Anybody know what The Duke rode in his glory years? Like 20" olo boards?

Good thread!>>> Back in ‘74, Tommy Petersen was building and riding conventional stand-up > boards in the 3’6" to 4’6" range on the Gold Coast of NSW. Not > utilizing wide, full outlines either, but narrow outlines with pulled in > noses and tails. Almost no foam. He ripped on them, and got more than his > share of waves in a crowd. It was unbelievable.>>> Remember the 4’6" black-ball boards in Huntington in the late 60’s?>>> I think Frye has topped out at 13’6".>>> Either Hobie or Munoz made a 16’ board with conventional proportions in > the early 60’s. Maybe it was supposed to be a tandem board, but Phil > Edwards could ride it single handedly.>>> Anybody know what The Duke rode in his glory years? Like 20" olo > boards? Summer 72 i reshaped a board twice and ended up with a 4’10 twin fin… Then i rode a 12’ Royal Hawaiian… What a TANK 50 plus… Then i did stand up on my skimboards when i was a kid and they were small plywood. We used them like boogie boards that was mid to late 60’s. and yes i had a green surf mat with handles Dale. Rode a lot of small boards in Huntington in the early 70’s… Rob

whats the smallest and/or biggest board youve ridden? The guy that plays the “bad” guy in Blue Crush (his name is Chris ?, lives on the North Shore) regularly rides a sponge standing up . . . and rips. phil

whats the smallest and/or biggest board youve ridden? as a kid those old canvas mats, probably the shortest, with Greenough spoon a close second.tons of 7’ range boards with an 11’ Paul Gross topping out the list.

as a kid those old canvas mats, probably the shortest, with Greenough > spoon a close second.tons of 7’ range boards with an 11’ Paul Gross > topping out the list. I guess towing a barefoot skier into Jaws would be the ultimate in small board surfing…

whats the smallest and/or biggest board youve ridden? Smallest would be a handboard used while bodysurfing. Smallest standup surfboard would have been a 5’10" William Dennis back in '71 or '72. Smallest owned standup board was a 6’0" Channel Islands tri-plane hull back in the early-Curren era. Longest board ridden would probably be mid-9 foot range. Largest owned was an 8’6" BC. As to Chris Won standing on a bodyboard, Pat Caldwell used to do that to…a guy 6’3" or 6’4" standing on a 42" piece of polyethelyne foam…

7’ and 9’10" At one point in time my regular ride was a 5’6" thruster, circa. 1982. That was as short a board Ive ever ridden. The longest, my present longboard, 9’0". Being, 5’5" tall and 135 lbs., I don’t think I need to go any longer.

thanks for the image - got me laughing out loud -billa

Smallest was my younger Bros 5’ 7" Surf & Wear twinny, largest was my older Bros 10’ 6" Owl. Them was the days!