Stripping paint pens?

Hey guys, What is the best way to strip paint pens from a board? Will it leave any stain on the deck? The board has a new spray finish and has never been waxed. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks D

Depending on what they sealed it with (a spray acrylic or teflon wipe on) may or may not require sanding. I have done it on board with acrylic type sprays and it was not difficult. Teflon types, like dolphin skin are more difficult due to the fact the coating acts as a shell (more sanding). All I did was wipe the board down with acetone (you will need a couple of rags, depending on how much pen work there is). Depending on how well the board was finished before the pen work will determine how much if any sanding needs to be done. If the board was sanded out smooth say 220+ it will be easier to wipe it off. If the board was sanded to say 80 to 100 them penned then sealed, when you wipe it with acetone, you will see the color settle in the sanding scratches. Just let it dry and fine sand it. Just go slow and don’t burn into the cloth. There won’t be any stains, and if the board has not been exposed to a lot of sunlight there shouldn’t be any discoloration to worry about (if the board was in a shop window for a while, when you strip the penwork the foam underneath could be whiter than the surrounding foam). Go slow, good luck.

Depending on what they sealed it with (a spray acrylic or teflon wipe on) > may or may not require sanding. I have done it on board with acrylic type > sprays and it was not difficult. Teflon types, like dolphin skin are more > difficult due to the fact the coating acts as a shell (more sanding). All > I did was wipe the board down with acetone (you will need a couple of > rags, depending on how much pen work there is). Depending on how well the > board was finished before the pen work will determine how much if any > sanding needs to be done. If the board was sanded out smooth say 220+ it > will be easier to wipe it off. If the board was sanded to say 80 to 100 > them penned then sealed, when you wipe it with acetone, you will see the > color settle in the sanding scratches. Just let it dry and fine sand it. > Just go slow and don’t burn into the cloth. There won’t be any stains, and > if the board has not been exposed to a lot of sunlight there shouldn’t be > any discoloration to worry about (if the board was in a shop window for a > while, when you strip the penwork the foam underneath could be whiter than > the surrounding foam). Go slow, good luck. Mike, Thank you for the info! The acetone worked just fine. D