Stubbie hulls

This is something of an effort to revive a topic originally posted about a year ago- stubbie hulls. Paul Gross’ remarks in particular struck a chord. My experience with hulls is limited to sub-6’6" Australian boards, chiefly from 1969, and a couple of 8’ transition jobs. Of the former, Ted Spencer’s White Kites, almost despite their reputed popularity, are particularly notable. Where most other boards from that period must be ‘nursed’ into a turn, to some extent, the White Kites I have can be driven. This, coupled with a typical (comfortable) thickness of around 2 3/4", width of around 21", and that broad pod makes for a very flexible board, eminently suited to virtually any wave from 1-6’ in size. Any comments?

Will you describe a White Kite. Hull depth and where? V? Full or pinched rails? Front foot rail turner or rear foot fin turner? I’m sure Kirk P. will chime in soon. My impression, both in talking to others and experience, is that the shorter deep hulls need a nice long empty wall to get up to speed. As soon as you start to compromise the design to work in other types of waves, you quickly lose that special hull “pull-down-the-line” feeling. Not sure that a White Kite has those performance characteristics. How do they ride?

http://www.surfresearch.com.au/00000046.html

Hey I am sure that the white kite was made by Shane surfboards and Ted is holding two in TSJ. vol. 7 #4 page 74 and 75 in Greenoughs scrapbook .I also have a bunch of Tracks Mag. from that time with White kite Ads.Ted was the one who really wanted to surf like what GG was doing on Velo.The whitekites were production models for Shane.Those deep hulls need a good wave to keep them in high gear.Michel Cundith at MC surfdesigns in Byron Bay is making new versions of those boards very nice as is Duncan at Wilderness.Tudor and Rich Pavel also Wayne Dean all make cool boards influenced from that time,Im sure there are others ,those were great times we need to reexplorer, because things were changing so fast.KP.

Dale: If this is pre 70’s, I’m stunned…if modern board maker’s owe Simon Anderson a buck for every thruster they build, they owe Ted at least 50 cents for every squash-tail, pulled nose outline they use. (Hey Ted, I owe you a buck!)

That`s right, Lee… the receipt is for November 28, 1969. www.surfresearch.com.au is an absolutely incredible resource.

I could be wrong but I dont think Miget Farelly did the Whitekites but Dales got the right type of board maybe 70 or 71.Its weird to look at Tracks Mags.and see how things changed so fast by 71 and 72 Spencer was doing Ti Chi and riding 8ft rocketships,island fever spread fast .Last I heard Ted was living in Malibu.

Re: Ted Spencer`s “White Kite” shape, circa 1969-70… “The boomer that season was the ‘White Kite’ designed by Ted Spencer. (See #46 as an example). It featured a pointed nose, flat bottom and wide vee pod. It was also a wide board between the rails. And it seemed to work - for most everyone. And it was only six feet long, a foot to 18” shorter than the previous season’s boards - or two feet plus under the length of boards two seasons back. The shape of boards had certainly changed but even more important was the change winch they brought about in surfing…" http://www.surfresearch.com.au/1971o0601surfboard_designs_mod_world_p30_37.html

Dale that site is too much,great resorce.

Was’nt that wide tail super short stubbie Ted Spencer rode in the film, “Innermost Limits of Pure Fun” a White Kite prototype? The one he was shaping with a hand plane out in the yard.

if thats the board im thinking about, he ripped thatboard so hard. what are some of the characteristics of a board like this? rocker? rails? does tail thickness come into play alot here? how close is Lee V’s stubbie in the 6 foot archives to the stubbie in inner most limits?

Of the White Kites I own personally, or have seen, the template was fairly standardised. I’ve read, though, that Spencer came up with the design concept at some point during 1968 and it was a standard model for Shane surfboards up until about 1973. This would mean, of course, that White Kites must have shifted significantly in design over the five years, from the transition era through to the conventional, standardised designs of the ‘70s. Again though, of the three I have, and the several others I’ve seen, all dating from late ‘69, the template is fairly standardised. The basic outline is more or less identical to the Farrelly pictured. The rocker is very flat and the pod quite broad with a wide diamond tail. The nose is pointed, the rails 50/50 the entire length of the board (!) and the bottom is flat. The fin is a moulded ‘Wave-set’, lots of rake- think Greenough Type 4. That the board pictured in Pods for Primates is a Farrelly is possibly testimony to the popularity of this design. One of my boards is an Egan (shaped by Luke Egan’s dad, Sam), and is modelled precisely after the Spencer desgned boards I have. Again, that’s how popular and successful the design was. In terms of handling, as I’ve already written, they’re good up to about 6’ in most conditions. They paddle and trim beautifully. Otherwise, if you look at Chris Brock or Garry Keyes’ surfing in ‘Sea of joy’ and ‘Innermost Limits’, you’ll get something of a sense of how they surf- fast, quite loose, with that vaguely sluggish ‘hull’ feel in fatter sections. That board Spencer is shaping in ‘Innermost Limits’ isn’t a White Kite, however, as far as I can tell. Nor is the one he’s featured holding in the Greenough scrapbook issue of Surfer’s Journal (although I’m pretty sure he’s briefly shown surfing that same board at Lennox Head on ‘Sea of joy’). He seems to have gone through a succession of extremely short, ‘stubby’ boards during that period. Of the various videos I’ve seen featuring his surfing from that period- ‘Freeform’, ‘Sea of Joy’, ‘innermost limits’, ‘Winter’s tale’ (in the opening segment)- he’s surfing a different, albeit similar board every time.

that board was essentially a standup version of velo.short, wide with a deep hull, arc tail and round nose-neede lotsa power to get it firig, but when it did…

The outlines are very similar (but not copied as I used some Liddle mixed with Phil Edwards and a pinch of Mabile and Spencer Kellog). The rails and deck are probably fairly similar but the edge bottom is dead flat so the similarity ends there. We saw some nice stubbies at the Greenroom by Wayne Dean and Rich Pavel that are probably closer to the original.