Suggestions for bottom on 6' "longboard" for a child

I’m shaping a 6’ board for a 10 year old girl who’s 76 pounds. The parents want a 6’ board that looks like a longboard.  She’s not the type of kid who’ll be in the water all the time so I just want to make a board that she can easliy catch waves on and glide to shore.  I’ll do the rails like a shortboard, and probably only go up to 2" thick at the most.  Any suggestions for the bottom contour?  I like the way my minisimmons rides with a little belly up front, and flatness in the middle, but I’m not familiar enough with longboards to know what’ll work best for this shape and size.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

6’ x 15.40" N x 18" WP x 13.68" T

[img_assist|nid=1066859|title=Child-Size Longboard|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=271]

When the Walden Compact Disc came out I thought the whole world would jump on board. What a great idea! A short longboard! Great paddling but short so you can turn it......my quest continues......and Walden was doing it long before the Mini Someone fad.....same bottom as a Walden "magic"........or make it flat because a 10 year old kid will not know..................

[quote="$1"]

When the Walden Compact Disc came out I thought the whole world would jump on board. What a great idea! A short longboard! Great paddling but short so you can turn it......my quest continues......and Walden was doing it long before the Mini Someone fad.....same bottom as a Walden "magic"........or make it flat because a 10 year old kid will not know..................

[/quote]

I'll second that.  Keep it simple.  Flat bottom, 50/50 rails, maybe a little more down in the tail, like 70/30. 

Thank you Stingray and Huck!  I’ll keep it simple and flat.

flat through the bottom, you could do a little V in the tail, turn up the nose underneath or bevel it (less pearling)

down rails with a tuck, to hard in the tail and keep the tail a bit thick (more push from the wave)

Why don’t you make it look like longboard, but smaller?  Since it for a little one you can call it a nose picket. or a booger eater, instead of a nose rider.

Thanks kensurf!  Great suggestions and I definitely want to make sure I keep that nose turned up a bit. 

I like nose picker!  This board’s for a former student of mine and I’m always joking with the class about picking noses.  They think it’s funny, but there’s always a few kids looking back at me like maybe I’m talking straight to them. :slight_smile:

Nose scoop, nothing is more dicouraging for a beginner than constant pearling. Flat bottom for easy stability.  Good float for easy wave catching, watch out for the thick tail suggestion, thick tails rise to bury the nose, discouraging. No points, corners or sharps anywhere for safety. Side bites small, rounded and far from rail for safety. Centerfin, smaller, rounded and further foward for safety. Fin trailing edges rounded, or set up fins for rubberized Protect Fins. You're going to have a super stoked young lady with a custom, hand made board, whow!!  Did I mention art work? Young ladies like art work big time.

[quote="$1"]

Nose scoop, nothing is more dicouraging for a beginner than constant pearling. Flat bottom for easy stability.  Good float for easy wave catching, watch out for the thick tail suggestion, thick tails rise to bury the nose, discouraging. No points, corners or sharps anywhere for safety. Side bites small, rounded and far from rail for safety. Centerfin, smaller, rounded and further foward for safety. Fin trailing edges rounded, or set up fins for rubberized Protect Fins. You're going to have a super stoked young lady with a custom, hand made board, whow!!  Did I mention art work? Young ladies like art work big time.

[/quote]

hey GTFD

I was only thinking of 1" of tail thickness (I should have been more specific

not 1/2" 0r anything realy thin

I do agree ,, too thick will deffinetly lift the tail

Kensurf probably has it right. I've been doing massivly thick boards with surf mat like wash in qualities and other overdone float issues like lifting tails so I don't even know what normal is, but this beginner still likes float.

GTFD, thanks for all the help!  As for artwork I was originally thinking of doing something girly, but turns out she wants it to “look like fire”.  Instead of flames, I’ll do a resin swirl like this one, but I’ll make it twist and bend like fire and cover the entire bottom.[img_assist|nid=1057195|title=5' 2" Hippo del Fuego|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=427|height=640]

There is going to be one very fired up young lady! Wouldn't we all like to see her on the first new board outing!

There's a board out there....built by Resinhead...called 8 something,or eat something....it's in the archives...aka Quiver...looks like fire......I don't know how he did it .....my buddy owns that board and it looks like fire!!!

http://www.quivermag.com/boards/mickelsen-surfboards-2007-0

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  Here’s how the board turned out.  [img_assist|nid=1067166|title=Child Size "longboard"|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=360|height=640]

[img_assist|nid=1067167|title=Child Size "longboard"|desc=|link=none|align=right|width=360|height=640]