Surf Wagon Distress Call

Wow, a diatribe on cars. In general, they have expensive parts and shitty gas mileage but people love them I guess. They are only appliances. Hey Darren, there is a Volvo wagon in good shape up here for a song if you want another one.

You could probably get this for 1000 or so and keep your other for a parts car.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/car/303060245.html

Good luck

Actually, the mileage isn’t that bad, and the parts aren’t that expensive, but you don’t have to know what you’re talking about on the internet, do ya?

I dropped in on my lunch hour to start bargaining. According to them the pre pump is $180, the main pump is $450, filters are $30 and hoses are $55. Then also 3.5 hours of labor. She also said that the front brake pads are < 1mm but the rotors are still good( another "highly reccomended $185). Either way i still told her to hold fire.

I really appreciate the honest and often well founded advice from you all. I am not from a “car family” and can use all the help I can get. Thanks again. The Saga continues… Darren

Quote:

I dropped in on my lunch hour to start bargaining. According to them the pre pump is $180, the main pump is $450, filters are $30 and hoses are $55. Then also 3.5 hours of labor. She also said that the front brake pads are < 1mm but the rotors are still good( another "highly reccomended $185). Either way i still told her to hold fire.

I really appreciate the honest and often well founded advice from you all. I am not from a “car family” and can use all the help I can get. Thanks again. The Saga continues… Darren

Hmmmmm.

Even when I was working in the business, I never liked the idea of reflecting auto service costs in drastic parts markups, especially when that markup is deceitfully concealed from the customer. Seems to me that if you are good enough, you can charge what you need to charge for your labor up front. Parts markups should be what a retailer would typically add - 20% or so

According to this site, that repair shop thinks you look like you need to be “ridden hard and put away wet”. It has the price for an OEM main pump replacement at $182 - 230 with aftermarket brand replacements considerably cheaper (FWIW, Delphi is GM’s captive parts manufacturer). Prices for the tank pre-pump are similarly related to their quote:

http://www.tinyurl.com/394om6

I have a strong suspicion that the shop that quoted you intends to use remanufactured pumps at that. It looks like there is even a high-pressure version of the in-tank unit that might eliminate the need for an external pump altogether. Finally, while I have no experience browsing it, there appears to be a SoCal Volvo owners’ club (with forum) at http://www.scvcoa.org You might want to give that a shot.

-Samiam

Hi Darren -

They checked that computer module that sends the signal to the pump, right?

LOL !

Get yourself an inline petrol pump, leave everything else in situ and add this electric pump to the current fuel line…

Similar to what the drag racers use, it’s only about $100 and will suck the fuel from your tank then into the carby, fuel injectors…

It’s worked for me on a few occasions…

I had a 95 Chevy 1/2 ton standard box/cab for 293,000. At 195,000 the trans blew the overdrive,reverse,and first gear…I drove it that way ,all over the place,mind you, til 235,00 miles. Then I finally replaced the old trans w/ a new Alison,just as before…that’s 40,000 miles on a busted trans…that’s American.

I owned that truck with PRIDE FOR 11 YEARS,and sold it to a guy in Lakewood…It still runs today…w/o every having a frontend alinment,never had a change of the factory shocks,new factory spare removed from it’s carrage,or an engine rebuild…it’s now has over 330,000 miles on her.Herb

BTW…I have nothing against Volvas,or any other cars…I just stick with what has great track records for me.Herb

HS,

Sounds like a lot of highway miles? In California? And it’s a truck. Versus the same number of city car miles split between New Jersey (first owner) and Houston, Texas (do you know about our weather at all?) LOL And it sounds like a GM unit wanted to die on you and you gave it a heart transplant! But anyway, you want to say a busted tranny counts as quality? OK… Per unit sold how many 1989 GM crates are still around? Versus 1989 Volvo 240s? Herb, I think I’ll take what’s safe for my family and worked for 18 years under brutal conditions without pride and a new transmission! Any day. Mine just takes about 22 mpg of gas. City.

Cheap parts, too. I researched that before I bought it 8 years ago. There were so many of those 240s still on the road after 10 years that the replacement parts had gone down in price. Also the parts worked interchangeably between year models in a lot of cases. Nice. A cautionary tale for the other manufacturers, though. They literally don’t make them like that anymore. GM never did.

As far as GM, their product has been such crap for so many years and their business so hurt by union wages and medical benefits costs in this country, GM is now completely in the shitter. I think the global marketplace is about to flush it, unless it gets some corporate welfare from the government.

You driving a vehicle without 1st, reverse or overdrive for 40,000 miles LOL

That’s not “American,” it’s a nut in a crate! j.k. HS!

joke: Volvo = “I roll.” GM = “Get mechanic.”

:wink:

PS: own any W. European guns? I thought so.

J,lol…

FYI,

The engine in that 95 truck is a alum.block 5.0 L. Aurora.The heads were steel Lt-1 vet heads…it came stock factory that way…I beat the shit out of that day in and day out city/hwy,and racing…let’s see if your V can go from 0-60 in 4.8 seconds…I know it can’t ,because I could toast anything …ANYTHING !..AND IT 'S A TRUCK…lol. I never modified anything from day one to when I sold her…and BTW it got 16 mpg in the city 22 on the hwy…Her biggest secret was it only wt. in at 3400lbs dry.

My new 06 chevy already has 35,000 mi. on her…w/o a problem…4.8L all alum. ,Supercharged ,factory…she wt.s in at 6200lbs.

but still goes 0-60 in 5.2 seconds… and gets 15 city and 20 hwy.

I have a neighbor with a 05 Volva turdblo…IT’S A PIECE OF CRAP !..in 2 years it’s been in the shop for repairs 6 times with only 12,000 mi.s on it…All engine and trans repairs…totaling more that 10,000 dollars in costs.He raced me for beers(which I declined at the end of the race)…From the line he lost badly…at the 1/4 mile marker, I had a 30 car lead on him.lol.Herb

Har Har

I’m not big on the machismo or drag-racing. I find such things unhealthy. We Vulva drivers find that slower is often better. Longevity and solidity is far more important in the grand scheme of things, we Vulva-lovers find. Yes, I do enjoy driving a Vulva, and will occasionally push it a bit harder faster to get where we need to go.

Turbos do blow, it’s true.

But your friend’s car is a FORD. shudder They bought Volvo and ruined it quite a few years ago.

All that said, GM sucks balls. haha

You oughta get a real truck, Herb. Like a Toyota.

You oughta chill out on the testosterone, too. Shortens your ET too much.

Makes you bald. Bad juju, bro. :wink:

greg

Quote:

You oughta get a real truck, Herb. Like a Toyota.

i don’t usually get in on these car arguments anymore because

it just seems to be a waste of time. also, i’m a little dissalusioned

ever since i learned the vast majority of “American Made” vehicles

have some parts farmed out overseas. BUT…

without question, G.M., Ford, Dodge, and even International make/made

the best light trucks ever. hands down.

as far as truck duties, most mini-vans will do the same amount of

work as Toyota light trucks.

Greg,

No hard feelings here…all in good fun !

As far as racing goes…I grew up( in my second half of my childhood) in my dad’s home town , Bell,Ca. Where hotrodding began,Big Daddy Roth’s/Van Dutch’s home were,and I lived one block from the original Bell Helmets warehouse…

…Racing is American ,and my birth right…

You Drive what works for you…I drive what works for me…push come to shove…they’re ALL man-made pieces of shit anyway.

I like you though…you stick to your guns…that’s a good quality in my opinion.

As far as Kharma goes…My Kharma is…just as yours is.

And What’s wrong with American ???

I like ZZ-TOP !!!

How about you ???

That’s about as American as it get’s my Friend.Herb

ps…BTW,FYI…I’m thinking about buying a new XB…as a alternet mobile.

The United States of America…Hate it or love it…It’s still the best of the best countries to belong to.

See Ya !

All true, Herb

I actually do kinda love old ZZ Top. I used to see Billy Gibbons around town sometimes. True story: He drives a beater white Plymouth Aspire (EDIT: Ford ASPIRE) with tinted windows. Wears that funny hat all the time. Shops at Whole Foods and Bookstop, where I used to work. Saw Tommy Lee Jones at Half Price Books in San Antonio one time. Said How ya doin? and he didn’t hit me. He’s taller than you think. Drove a black Durango, I think. And so did James Garner, who I met at a gas station in Arizona. He was really nice. Love that guy.

Karma? I didn’t say nothin’ about your karma. Your CAR, nutcase. LOL

greg

PS: LOL

VW Kombis rule…

Austin’s Lonestar Rod & Custom Round Up 2006

Come on over next year, Herb! I’ll go wit ya.

Astroturf as car carpet…why didn’t I think of that! F&^^%$g love it :slight_smile:

Problem solved gang. I just bought a 1997 T100 toyota from a friend of a friend at the redondo break wall. As I signed the papers we watched the break do its best Irvine Lake impression. So far I am very happy with my new rig. Next tep is to find a worthy caus eto donate the Volvo too. The second to next step is to find a used shell/lumber rack setup. Thanks again all. Darren

PS. The car is burgundy so if you guys see a new car at “your break” I would prefer wax left on my bumper not my windshield.

Quote:

VW Kombis rule…

yep they do.

i wish we called them “Kombis” too.

sounds cool just like Men At Work

i’d love to restore one.

the price for a classic one over here is through the roof.

even for a bucket.