Surfboards Hawaii Noserider Question

I just picked up this Surfboards Hawaii Noserider, and need some help.  The nose has had slip check applied (see picture), my question is, Should I remove the slip check or leave it on? My plans are to use the board, but I'm not that adapt at noseriding so it's not critical to have.  Also, the board has the original box fin but the fin was lightly glassed into the box, but I was able to remove the fin and noticed that without the glass the fin would be loose within the box.  My question is, how is the fin held in, assuming that no glass is used.

Also, does anyone have some information about these boards, like who would have been the shaper.  I don't see any marking on the board, other then the label.

[img_assist|nid=1052031|title=Hawaii Noserider|desc=|link=none|align=center|width=0|height=0]

Many boards of the period (mid 60s) had the fin installed by a compression fit. No hardware or actual glass bonding the fin to the board. Taking the fin out might have been a big mistake in this instance.

Of course, a picture of the fin and box would help illustrate the situation.

All that aside, the board looks really good in the sole photo provided. I wouldn’t bother removing the Slipcheck. It adds to the flavor of the time the board was made.

Bump, as an antidote to the spamming.

I had the exact same board that I bought new in 1966.  There was no shaper name nor a serial number.  My fin was fiberglassed in thus non-removable.  I woud leave the slipcheck on the nose as many noseriders in the 60’s and early 70’s had this. Mine did.   I don’t know what you paid for it but mine was $175 in '66 and was appraised recently @ $1,500-2,000.

It was not uncommon for boards to have no serial # back then. A shaper’s name was a rarity.

Anyway…

Why are you replying to a post that’s more than two years old? I doubt the OP would ever see your reply at this late stage.

SammyA is correct ,  there was a time when fins were jammed in we used to wrap newspaper around the bottom of the fin base and jamm it in to the fin box , unless you hit the fin really hard on something no problem . it was also very easy to swop out fins  to experiment with different sizes etc . sometimes guys would try fins to find  " the right one" and then glass it in .

I did not pay attention to the date.  Sorry.

I did not pay attention to the date.  Sorry.