Surfers Journal Simon Anderson Interview....

In the current SJ (Vol. 15 #2)there is an awesome interview with Simon Anderson. I finally sat down and read it and it is one of the best interviews I’ve read in a long time… He hits key points on design innovations, the past, future, etc throughout the whole thing… A shapers perspective worth reading for all Swaylockians… If you are 40 years old or older than you will also get a great stroll down memory lane… Good stuff…

good interview with Simon Anderson

Simon Anderson rips! Ahwoooooooooo!

Man, that SIMON ANDERSON interview is COOL!!!

I really liked the Kimo Hollinger short stories also… The thing I like about Kimo is how humble he is… A very respectable trait in a person… Good stuff!

Spam is not very humble.

Hey carve . … good heads up, I’ll grab an issue . . . hope its still out next two weeks . . . lol at your following replies after the fact.

Yo surf syndicate Dude, carve posts on Simon Anderson. You switch it over to your customTTtail product. That’s a thread hi-jack. You just take off right in front of him, totally snake the thread, jack his moment, cop a fit, and burn his ride.

JUST LIKE CAPS IS SCREAMING bro, pay attention to the 'net etiquette.

Get your own wave, wait your turn (ie post on your own posts). Or is it because people have stopped clicking on theM?

Then maybe change up the headers to make it interesting. But then you’ll get nabbed for false advertising . . .

Listen, if your product is good, surfers will clue in on it . . . But you’re turning off people by your used care sales or door to door sales method.

You want help? Get some vids of surfers surfing their favorite sticks, ripping as much as possible (hopefully they are ASP shortboard white). Then show them on your 3.14TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT tail surfboards. Make sure your boards are colored so they stand out, like neon red or something . . . then show the same surfers shredding on your sticks but (as you say) they are turning better, linking moves, pushing them harder, and launching higher / farther, catching waves easier, nose riding longer . . . then start YOUR own thread on it. Or buy a couple of firewires and have Firewire VS TTTTTTTail UFC surf off. Or offer demos up at your local surfbreaks . . . if its good people will clue in on it.

But jeez quit with this thread hi jacking or dramatic linking. George Greenough says TTTT is a different concept and you post like GG advocates your style. Dude, be real.

As much as i like the idea of free speach, I have to agree get rid of this idiot he breaks the hijack rules.

piss off surfsyndicate, you are a tosser.

Chip sent me the subscription form for tsj but the wife hasn’t released funds, so I missed the simon interview.

Quote:

piss off surfsyndicate, you are a tosser.

well said!

i enjoyed the interview, but i don’t agree with him in part of what he said… something about “retro” designs ( i really don’t agree with defining designs as “retro”) not being progressive, that surfing is about progress and using as much as the wave as possible, blah blah…i dont have the issue on hand but it was something to that extent.

i disagree…these designs exist (a) because they work, even if it’s just for certain conditions, and (b) because they give a variety of feeling… this goes from thruster to single fin, it encompasses every design.

just my 2 cents…

Quote:

Chip sent me the subscription form for tsj but the wife hasn’t released funds, so I missed the simon interview.

hi John !

glad you received it , mate .

I have a scanner …

…So I might be able to send you a copy of the article , if you like ? It’s a good one . Simon Anderson is , as Carve Nalu points out , a down-to-earth , humble guy who lets his surfing do the talking .

He still rips.

cheers , 

ben

That Simon Anderson article was the first thing I read when I got my issue a few weeks ago. Never knew much about him before, but I came away very impressed with how he downplays his personal importance and gives so much credit to others.

Pretty much the opposite of this surfsyndicate guy.

Yeah, agreeing on everything is not possible for everyone but I thought the artical was a very good read. Regardless of what design directions we all forge ahead on or came from the interview is still a great recount on a historical part of surfing… For me it really hit home because that’s the era I grew up in and I can remember the first Thrusters I saw and rode… I like the fact that Simon gave credit to all those other designs and people that led up to the actual Thruster design itself…

As far as SurfSyndicate goes do you think people would flock to his design if he had a different approach? Maybe someone who was… Hmmmmm… LIKEABLE? Reminds me of over zealous religious people who try to recruit you to their beliefs but little do they know they are pushing you away… Hey what do I know? Maybe the ramming it down your throat method sells surfboards… I make a living outside the surfing industry and being a pushy, seemingly stressed out, my way is the only way kinda guy is one the best ways to assure failure in business… Oh well… That’s just my OPINION… Carry on…

Simon reminds me of our own George Ku and in some ways even Pancho.

Those are the kind of guys when I was a grom that I’ve always looked up to as guys who just do their thing like Lynch.

No mouthing required because they walk their own path.

Quiet and deadly

It’s funny to hear how Simon talks about Fritzy being his board shaping guru because I remember Fritz as one of the young guns along with “wildman” jim neese, reno, BK and a host of others that were coming up through the ranks while we watched from the sidelines as excited groms. BK and Fritz were my role models… Full bore speed, guts and an in your face wave stance like a matador taking on the bull. If Simon were around then I sure he would of been another one I would’ve watched.

In a world dominated by either small frail or short chunky bodies, it’s inspiring to see really big and solid 6’4’-6’6" guys show that you don’t have to be built like that to absolutely shred the place apart. Cairns, and the Moepono’s also come to mind. Being real tall and stocky is a significant disadvantage to alot of people in this sport so it’s inspriing to watch really big guys surf better than the rest. I’m sure there’s guys twice the size of Laird that can carve a turn only Slater could appreciate.

Simon and Kimo are icons for sure…

Especially since they could care less what the rest of us think.

Good articles both

As a side note I saw Conrad Cunha on TV last night at the waikiki beachboy memorial day salute and was shocked. Not the adonis monster of a guy I remembered as a kid. Life’s glasses can be real eye openers over time.

Time changes everything I guess…

Great interview with Simon, my only complaint is that it wasn’t long enough! I’m not sure I like the new layout of the Journal. To me there doesn’t seem to be as much in it as was the case of issues gone by.

The Simon Anderson interview is a good example. Here’s a guy that has had a huge impact on ALL surfers and the interview only goes for a few pages!? Were as in the same issue they devote the same amount of space (more or less) to a paddle boarder! Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the story about the paddle boarder but just think that Mr Anderson is a much more interesting subject and deserved a more in-depth article.

Am I just being picky?

Go the flow!

“It’s funny to hear how Simon talks about Fritzy being his board shaping guru because I remember Fritz as one of the young guns along with “wildman” jim neese, reno, BK and a host of others that were coming up through the ranks while we watched from the sidelines as excited groms. BK and Fritz were my role models… Full bore speed, guts and an in your face wave stance like a matador taking on the bull. If Simon were around then I sure he would of been another one I would’ve watched.”

how’s THIS from Fitzy ?! [from the tsj interview]

"

I have the deepest respect for BOTH these "narra boys’ , and LOVED watching them surf when I grew up in Sydney …those coca cola surfabouts were MEMORABLE , in my mind ! [they are featured in the "On any morning " dvd , by the way]

ben

[photos by bruce channon and hugh mcleod , former editors for DECADES of my favourite aussie surf mag , “Surfing World” . Used in the tsj article , the interview by former tracks editor and all-round creative mastermind , Andrew Kidman [can anyone say “litmus” , and “glass love” ?]

I LOVE this shot of Simon ! [ test piloting the thruster at north narra . This was 1981 … the year he surfed it to victory at thumping Bells , epic North Narrabeen , and solid Pipe …What a debut , eh ? ]

…I can almost feel the impending under the lip 'S-N-A-P !!!" , and 20 metre layback in the tube , into spat out , and into a roundhouse … Yep , the guy was [still IS !] a power surfer , in the true sense of the word !!]

And , of course , no Simon Anderson interview would be “complete” , without ‘THAT’ famous photo…

[The caption reads " Simon Anderson , quintessential aussie bloke : wicked dry sense of humour, fearless power surfer, true to his mates , and likes a beer. 1981 marked ten years of design work , the high point being his Thruster discovery - hence the three finger salute.Photographed for Surfing World outside our darkroom guy’s beach house at Mona Vale basin with a magic mix of props : beater ford, can of fozzies , THE board "]

But…what I want to know …WHY wasn’t it a HOLDEN !!!]

ben