Surfshop saleman wisdom

They are young. They are preoccupied with all things surfing. They watch the videos and read the mags. They wear the clothes. They hang with the local crew. They have a job as a shoprat. They know everything. It is their chance in life to be cool - we had ours. They will learn soon enough that life can be nasty. In the mean time the choices they have made are not that bad considering some of the options. Patrick

I had job in a surf shop in the summer of 1966.I patched dings,had a team shirt,got free wax,a loaner Hansen Stepdeck and big discounts on baggies.Got to meet lots of Surf Bunnies and paid expenses to ESA contests.Not bad for a teenager.I was stoked to have the job,no pay except for ding repairs.

pc, Your experience reminds me of one I had in San Diego in the mid 80’s. During a visit to SeaWorld with my family, I stepped out of the park for a bit, and paid a visit to Eaton Surfboards. Mike Eaton was the only guy there and was getting ready to close soon. I was checking out his bonzer boards and started talking story. That went on for an hour or so too…took me in the back, showed me his shaping room, special bonzer tools, etc. Such a nice easy going guy to talk to. I’d sure like to get to talk to Downing too. A living legend for sure. http://www.swaylocks.com/resources/uploads/349337FR003jpg.

heh- that’s how I got into all this, prolly three years later. I worked cheaper though - I had a loaner Newport Paipo. Hmm…ya know, it’s prolly time to jack up my ding repair prices. Haven’t really changed them all that much since then. doc…

Doc…$2.00 a ding unless it needed a foam wedge and that was $3.50 Including wetsand and polish.All we had was an electric drill.Big money back then. R.B.

well, allowing for inflation and all, it’s pretty much the same: the price of a sixpack of the good beer. 'course, back then the good beer was cold beer…