Swaylock's Outdoor Cookbook/Recipes

Yeah I love that Ceviche myself. And Pacifico is decent but prefer the Budweiser of Mexico— Corona Extra.

Oh and “everything sits on a Ritz”. Especially Ceviche.

For the die hard, North Shore survivalist, I bring you the 1963 Sunset Stew. I made up a stew that was more nutritious, than palatable. No one in the household would steal my food! In a large Dutch Oven, I would first fry a pound of cheap hamburger. Then I would add a whole can of corn, a whole can of peas, several chopped potatoes, a chopped onion, several chopped carrots, as well as all the liquid from all the cans. As I recall, I tossed in a generous amount of pepper too. I would cook it on low for several hours, to ‘‘marry’’ the flavors. That would be my lunch and dinner for several days. Today I’d probably add some barley, to bulk it up. Caution: Not for the feint of heart!

In the early '70s I saw a guy come out of the market in Haleiwa with a bunch of dog food then open a can and eat it right in the parking lot. Freaked out all of us.

Yellow tail Sashimi is prized here, especially for the New Years dinners. I just finished a small slab last night with sushi rice (nigiri sushi). I eat about 90% of my fish raw, either as sashimi with Wasabi and shoyu (or Colmann’s yellow mustard, a bit of sesame oil and shoyu), as a poke, or as some kind of sushi (nigiri or a maki roll).

Sometimes referred to as “slum gullion” in my world.

don’t forget the beverages : TT margarita
1/2 part agave nectar
1 part lime
2 part tequila (or more)

Mix

Smear rim of glass with agave nectar & salt
Add ice to glass and a lime slice
Pour

Enjoy

I’m not in NC but close enough. NC style BBQ.
Take a large shoulder, picnic style. Slather with a rub of just about anything you want:
Garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, red pepper flakes, salt, brown sugar are usual spices in a rub.
After the rub, slather the whole thing in spicy brown mustard, let it sit in the fridge 12-24 hours.

Prepare grill with charcoal on two sides of grill. In middle, place aluminum pan filled with water. Get charcoal grill fired up to 225 degrees. Lay meat over center of grill, fat side down. Place hickory wood chips over coals, cover lid and wait.
Cook the meat slow and low for 12-14 hours ( I usually do it overnight), restocking charcoal when needed (roughly every 2-3 hours). With every restock add more hickory chips.
Some people spray the outside of the meat with flat Pepsi/Coke or a honey mixture. You can do this if you want.

Once the meat is done, pull off grill and let sit for 10-15 minutes under foil. In the meantime, make NC style bbq sauce:
Apple cider vinegar, red pepper flakes, little sugar, texas pete hot sauce, dash of apple juice/water - mix all to taste.

Shred the still hot meat off of the bone, continue shredding until uniform. Throw a little of the bbq sauce into the newly shredded meat.
Eat on a bun with cole slaw and more sauce on top. (yes, cole slaw is required).

@ Surfifty,
I just got back from Trader Joe’s, with a one pound bag of Scallops. Your recipe will be given a good workout, this weekend. A refreshing beverage to drink in warm weather, with such a meal, is a 50/50 mix of Beer and Squirt. Did I mention how refreshing it was?

I usually drink a Chardonney or a Pino Grigio with this dish. Give it a go and let me know. As a reminder just let the rub get a bit crusty and seared making sure the scallop is thoroughly cooked.

Those are my two favorite white wines. A Pino with fish or fowl. And a strong oaky Chardonney, with Lamb, Beef, or Pork.

Maybe some of you have heard of "Santa Maria Style"Tri-Tip; which traditionally is cooked on a bed of Oak Coals on an open Bar-b-Q pit just like the Elks Club of Santa Maria does it every year. Use a meat hook and keep turning it. Spritz it from time to time with a little water or beer. But someone showed me a way to do Tri-Tip some forty years ago that I call the “Beer Drinkers Tri-Tip”. Dry rub with salt, pepper, garlic salt or any good dry rub. Even Lawry’s. No habanero, Tobassco or any of that crap. That stuff has it place, but not on a fat trimmed Tri-Tip from Harris Ranch. This ain’t Mexico or the Bayou. Get a good bed of Briquets going in your Weber Kettle, wrap the Seasoned and trimmed Tri-tip in foil and put it on the fire with the lid on. I usually cut large Tri-tips into smaller individual steaks wrapped in foil. Crack a Corona(no lime) relax and give it 30 or 35 minutes max. You will have a nice “medium well” Tri-tip Steak with “Aus-jois” in the foil. Rare or medium? Just cut the cooking time shorter. Sometimes I take it out early, pour off the juice and carmelize the outside on the grill, occasionally pouring a little Corona over it. Slice it up and eat with a bowl of home made Pinto or Santa Maria Pink beans, homemade Potatoe Salid and Pyrenees’s Sour doe French bread. Crack another Corona and you are good to go. Lowel

Considering we mostly surf NJ or San Diego, we usually hunt wild pizza slices or feral tacos. Tasty, but the hunter needs to stay patient; those lines lines can get long. But on the rare occasion, you might score a hidden gem, a good Philly cheesesteak, wit. Mako224 might know what I’m talkin’ about.

San Diego County, town of Ramona…NUEVO GRILL, on Main Street, next to B of A. Simply the BEST FISH TACO, I’ve come across. Made with grilled Wahoo. ONO, if you’re of the Hawaiian persuasion. Worth the drive, from anywhere in San Diego.

Bill got me yearning for the scallops. Here they are

Surfifty, I DID cook two batches of Scallops, sans garlic, otherwise using your recipe.      Came out great!       Simple to do, and quite savory.     Thank you.

Your welcome Bill.  Glad you liked it.

Same as my Mother’s East Texas “Depression Era” stew recipe Bill.  The barley wasn’t added until later years in Calif. when they could afford a little Something extra.

Met a guy who sat at his desk eating cat food right out of the can with a fork. He  spent many years laying low in Viet Nam after the War.   I got laughed at by a Shop landlord (Haole) for eating Kirkland/Costco Albacore tuna from a can

Nice Tom.  Mexican Beer from Modelo Brewery (preferred) and Tequila.  My undoing.