template

Can I make a template by going to the surfshop with a roll of paper and a pencil and making an outline of a board? or is there more to a template? I was at HSS and saw a Nuuhiwa twin fin that I would love to copy. Its a great looking board. I saw a picture of David riding one just like it in Surfers Journal Volume 11 NO. 4 - Fall 2002…in the Dan Merkel photo section. Looks like a fun board! Would this be an easy board to pull off for board #1?

good luck getting them to let you trace a board, unless you know the owner/employees pretty well. you can always ask, but be prepared for a lecture. a more discrete way is take a small tape measure with you and take a few measurements(w/out them knowing) and then make your own…

good luck getting them to let you trace a board, unless you know the > owner/employees pretty well. you can always ask, but be prepared for a > lecture. a more discrete way is take a small tape measure with you and > take a few measurements(w/out them knowing) and then make your own… yea… I allready got kicked out with that one. Told me if I bought it I could take all the measurements I want. I realize he can’t have every kid in the county comming in to rip measurements off, but give me a brake. Its not like I was going to buy it, then decided to take measurements instead. Ive supported the shop with wetsuit purchases, booties, leashes, grip pads, bags… lets not forget wax (that was a joke). And up till a month ago… board purchases.

yea… I allready got kicked out with that one. Told me if I bought it I > could take all the measurements I want. I realize he can’t have every kid > in the county comming in to rip measurements off, but give me a brake. Its > not like I was going to buy it, then decided to take measurements instead. > Ive supported the shop with wetsuit purchases, booties, leashes, grip > pads, bags… lets not forget wax (that was a joke). And up till a month > ago… board purchases. I am not a computer guy but I have a friend that has some sort of architectural program…anyway he can take a photo from a board advertisement and somehow scan it and print a dead on template with numbers in increments of 1 inch.If you get really lazy and don’t want to transfer the numbers,you can take it to a blueprint place and they print it full size.All he needs is one measurement to work from .I think it costs 7 bucks for a full size paper pattern.It blew my mind… but then again so does the internet. R.Brucker

Can I make a template by going to the surfshop with a roll of paper and a > pencil and making an outline of a board? or is there more to a template? I > was at HSS and saw a Nuuhiwa twin fin that I would love to copy. Its a > great looking board. I saw a picture of David riding one just like it in > Surfers Journal Volume 11 NO. 4 - Fall 2002…in the Dan Merkel photo > section. Looks like a fun board! Would this be an easy board to pull off > for board #1? Stealing? Is that how we raised you?! If you want to use a photograph, like Cleanlines suggests, the shot needs to be taken from the exact center of the board with a lens that will not distort the shape. You can get close but not exact. So I’m being very picky. While the outline is major, rocker and rails are more important. If you came into my shop and wanted to trace a board - bye. Really. Nicely though. Use a friend’s board. Figure it out on your own (hey Jim Phillips, Velzy, Harbour, Yater, Fry, Merrick, etc… didn’t have Swaylocks and they managed to turn out decent board or two). Or get help here. There are some great minds here so belly up to the keyboard and pound away or get out to your work shop and star whittlin’. Gee I sound angry. [blush]) Get at it and have fun!

Stealing? Is that how we raised you?!>>> If you want to use a photograph, like Cleanlines suggests, the shot needs > to be taken from the exact center of the board with a lens that will not > distort the shape. You can get close but not exact. So I’m being very > picky. While the outline is major, rocker and rails are more important.>>> If you came into my shop and wanted to trace a board - bye. Really. Nicely > though. Use a friend’s board. Figure it out on your own (hey Jim Phillips, > Velzy, Harbour, Yater, Fry, Merrick, etc… didn’t have Swaylocks and they > managed to turn out decent board or two). Or get help here. There are some > great minds here so belly up to the keyboard and pound away or get out to > your work shop and star whittlin’.>>> Gee I sound angry. [blush]) Get at it and have fun! And yes that board looks like a fun shape. For my first board I made an 11’6" tanker. I knew that no matter what I did to the shape it would still float me and surf. Well it does that. The outline is nice however, it’s the most gawd awful thing to look at - the rails are boxy and the rocker is so negative it sucks water from nose to tail.

Stealing? Is that how we raised you?!>>> If you want to use a photograph, like Cleanlines suggests, the shot needs > to be taken from the exact center of the board with a lens that will not > distort the shape. You can get close but not exact. So I’m being very > picky. While the outline is major, rocker and rails are more important.>>> If you came into my shop and wanted to trace a board - bye. Really. Nicely > though. Use a friend’s board. Figure it out on your own (hey Jim Phillips, > Velzy, Harbour, Yater, Fry, Merrick, etc… didn’t have Swaylocks and they > managed to turn out decent board or two). Or get help here. There are some > great minds here so belly up to the keyboard and pound away or get out to > your work shop and star whittlin’.>>> Gee I sound angry. [blush]) Get at it and have fun! Ther is no higher honor payed to a shaper then to steal his template… But if you have big enough balls to ask at a shop to steal a shaper temp?? Go for it!!! or just find a friend with the temp you like… I have at least 30 temps and i use all of them based on what i’m shaping a little AM hip with a little EA nose slide back and pulled in… Then put my own tail??? I build alot of the smaller boards and i have alot of people come to me and ask me to duplacate a board they have… So over the years i have made a lot of temps of some great shapers. If you take ten 6’2 x 18 1/4 temps from 10 different shapers there all are so close its like who copied who?? Then as time goes you trim a little here and little there and come up with combos you like… Island shapers and mainland shaper do have there own look that’s what so cool about shaping is trying others ideas… Temps, rockers, rails may change and fin’s stay the same but when it’s all done it still comes out a FUC#*&^ surfboard… The board i’m riding right now was a Aussi nose temp a island hip and my own pin tail?? More nose (Fuller) pulled in in the tail hence the Pin… Then i have a friend i have built boards for for years he has a close stance so i pull the wide point back and pull in the nose with a island temp then add a more curve to the tail cali hips with a sq tail?? I even have used nose temps to draw in a curve in the tail?? it’s a about curves and how to slide and shift them around… Have fun that’s why we do it!!! It’s not where you got it… it’s how you use it??? Rob

Ther is no higher honor payed to a shaper then to steal his template… But > if you have big enough balls to ask at a shop to steal a shaper temp?? Go > for it!!! or just find a friend with the temp you like…>>> I have at least 30 temps and i use all of them based on what i’m shaping a > little AM hip with a little EA nose slide back and pulled in… Then put my > own tail???>>> I build alot of the smaller boards and i have alot of people come to me > and ask me to duplacate a board they have… So over the years i have made > a lot of temps of some great shapers. If you take ten 6’2 x 18 1/4 temps > from 10 different shapers there all are so close its like who copied who??>>> Then as time goes you trim a little here and little there and come up with > combos you like… Island shapers and mainland shaper do have there own > look that’s what so cool about shaping is trying others ideas… Temps, > rockers, rails may change and fin’s stay the same but when it’s all done > it still comes out a FUC#*&^ surfboard…>>> The board i’m riding right now was a Aussi nose temp a island hip and my > own pin tail?? More nose (Fuller) pulled in in the tail hence the Pin…>>> Then i have a friend i have built boards for for years he has a close > stance so i pull the wide point back and pull in the nose with a island > temp then add a more curve to the tail cali hips with a sq tail??>>> I even have used nose temps to draw in a curve in the tail?? it’s a about > curves and how to slide and shift them around…>>> Have fun that’s why we do it!!!>>> It’s not where you got it… it’s how you use it???>>> Rob – A boards template is only one element (and not even the most important) among everything else that must work together to make up a really good, functional design... tracing an outline is basic... just the beginning. Watch someone try to walk away with the thickness flow, or the rocker on centerline vs. the underside curve along the rails! Or cross-sectional contours as they relate width to length to volume? I reality, a skilled shapers talents are like those used by an experienced magician… the more seamless the end result appears to be, the more difficult it is to successfully accomplish.

i found a board once in a local shop in the uk, the guy also shaped (backyard) i couldnt get a template as his boss was about, but i took the basic dimensions off the board and then along with the picture out of a mag scaled the drawing and worked out the template for every 1"! maths gets you everywhere! [blush]) for the rails i would go in every day over the days i was shaping it and spend about 20 mins studying and feeling the rails just to get them right. so if you get blown out asking for a template you can always do it this way! :O)

The best way I’ve found to use a template I don’t have is to go out to “cleanlines” shop and use his!

Glad to help Tuna.The funny thing is that even though I probably have 30 templates it always comes back to 3 or 4 favorite spin templates.Like Rob Brown said its all in learning how to blend curves.Usually I work off of marks put on the board versus using the stringer.As stated earlier the outline is not too bad…gettin that smooth foil is the thing…the stringer is the “mother” indicator.It tells me everything.Damn…I,m out of blanks and I have a craving to get in the room…friggin addiction and I have better things to do. R. Brucker

I am not a computer guy but I have a friend that has some sort of > architectural program…anyway he can take a photo from a board > advertisement and somehow scan it and print a dead on template with > numbers in increments of 1 inch.If you get really lazy and don’t want to > transfer the numbers,you can take it to a blueprint place and they print > it full size.All he needs is one measurement to work from .I think it > costs 7 bucks for a full size paper pattern.It blew my mind… but then > again so does the internet. R.Brucker I’m not much of a shaper, but graphic/CAD/computer design - I am good at. There’s a serious problem on a board with any decent amount of rocker, the curvature will distort the overall length. I tried that with a bunch of fishes a week ago - not having any at home to base off of. I was able to use the center width as my base measurement and the tail width as a check. I think I modeled the bottom half really well, but things get fuzzy at the top. The overall length on the board turned out to be about 90% of listed, I assume most of this was in the nose. So I don’t know if your friend put in an algorithm to estimate curvature based on a rocker estimate, but that should affect it. Plus the fact that the pic needs to be taken at dead center, orthogonal to the plane of the board. I know it probally seems silly to you master shapers, because having now made a fish I would probably never get that tech again, but for the first time on a shape your unfamiliar with, it’s very helpful. Cheers,

…When I want a fish, I use my fishing rod.Herb

Thank you everyone but Herb. While I have always valued Mr. Spitzers knoledge of surfboard construction, I think his humor is the same as what makes the old crazy black guy on “Show time at the Apollo” bring out the broom. I guess I can do some 007 work and try to trace it…take some pics of the rails ect…and if all else fails, measure every 1"…thanks all you guys rule! (not you Herb) Mike http://curtis.curtisfong.org/fobonics/bases/

I’m not much of a shaper, but graphic/CAD/computer design - I am good at. > There’s a serious problem on a board with any decent amount of rocker, the > curvature will distort the overall length. I tried that with a bunch of > fishes a week ago - not having any at home to base off of. I was able to > use the center width as my base measurement and the tail width as a check. > I think I modeled the bottom half really well, but things get fuzzy at the > top. The overall length on the board turned out to be about 90% of listed, > I assume most of this was in the nose. So I don’t know if your friend put > in an algorithm to estimate curvature based on a rocker estimate, but that > should affect it. Plus the fact that the pic needs to be taken at dead > center, orthogonal to the plane of the board. I know it probally seems > silly to you master shapers, because having now made a fish I would > probably never get that tech again, but for the first time on a shape your > unfamiliar with, it’s very helpful. I really don’t know how he did it.I wasn’t trying to totally clone a shape(its impossible anyway).I know that the first boards that he did came out of a mag that gave length,width,nose,tail etc.The computer somehow cleaned up the line but I dont have a clue about how he did it…Maybe we ended up with just a basic curve but it is really cool in my opinion.I will call him and see if he will come on board and explain it further.thnks for the input. R. Brucker>>> Cheers,

…No joke,I use a fishing pole.It’s used for pond fishing.Telescopes from 4’ to 15’ ,no eyes on it,with the exception of a small wire one at the tip.Travels easily,very lite.I also use spring steel as well.Herb

Hey Herb…I got it! Good fishing rods make good templets. I really like my 9’ bamboo fly pole. It makes great curves.

…Yeah,THAT’S the real spirit,Tuna!!!Hey you’re in the right geo-location,try and find a telescoping canepole.In your area there about $15.00.Mine is called a “Black Beauty”.Here on the westcoast they’re hard to find.Herb

I really don’t know how he did it.I wasn’t trying to totally clone a > shape(its impossible anyway).I know that the first boards that he did came > out of a mag that gave length,width,nose,tail etc.The computer somehow > cleaned up the line but I dont have a clue about how he did it…Maybe we > ended up with just a basic curve but it is really cool in my opinion.I > will call him and see if he will come on board and explain it > further.thnks for the input. R. Brucker cool… I’m just a bit of a tech junkie, kinda curious. Though I’m hoping a couple more boards and I won’t be coping other peoples shapes either…>>> I wasn’t trying to totally clone a shape(its impossible anyway). Felt that was worth restating… I still can’t mimic the outline perfectly - haircut syndrome; little on the left, little on the right, little more on the left… perfect, a toothpick.

cool… I’m just a bit of a tech junkie, kinda curious. Though I’m hoping > a couple more boards and I won’t be coping other peoples shapes either…>>> Felt that was worth restating… I still can’t mimic the outline perfectly > - haircut syndrome; little on the left, little on the right, little more > on the left… perfect, a toothpick. I found out that the deal he used was called CAD.Thats all I know. R. Brucker