The double double.

Mcding - I fully get what your saying but Since I build all my boards start to finish, every step of the process is a chance to progress. Blank gluing- shaping- glassing-glossing- sanding - polishing. And it’s all fun and enjoyable. - if it ends up just sitting, at least it will look good doin it haha.

There are so many places I want to progress, I figure why pass up an opportunity.

Ok so I figured I’d give this an update.

The above board surfed much like a classic twin but with a lot of hold. Could never get it to slip. It wasn’t quite my cup of tea but those who were fans of 80s/early 90s boards really dug it.

I wanted something with more draw in the lines so I figured a straighter rail was in order. I stuck the set up in a bills broomtail and man…Magic! - I surfed it at two central coast gems the last few days ( one a pealing left and the other a right ) and I was blown away. - it has the grove of a classic single but very snappy like a thruster.

On one session I was out with a friend and we switched back and forth with a standard twingle and this current board. Both the same plan shape but rails and glass were a bit different. The twingle was glassed a bit heavier with a bit more of a down rail while the triple fin was a lighter and ran a softer rail.

The triple fin was a bit more all around middle road feel, while the twingle really excelled in the pocket. Just a matter of what feeling you wanted to get out of the board.

Here is the triple

I really like that outline. Are you happier with the offset fins?

well I can take no credit for the outline on this one (it’s one of Bills from 1972 - still rips today!).

As for the fin set up - having the side fins about an inch to and inch and a half in front of the main fin really did it for me. Gives a more smooth response. With the fins all in a line the set up was a bit more skatey Than I like. Still held extremely well but just wasn’t my taste.

I want chrisp to take it for a spin at some point and compare it to his twinzers he loves so much.

How big is the Broomtail?
I have a bunch of boards with the single fin long box from under 6’ up to 7’. I may give this a try using FCS fins for the sides. What is the distance from the tail to the leading edge of the sides? I have probox centers that will give me about 1/2" play. It would be interesting to see the difference between the thruster side fins versus the 3 close together. I have a couple that went from being OK as singles to great as thrusters.

The tail block sits at 9.5 inches.

Leading edge of center fun is 12" and sides are at 13"

Board is 5’10 x21x2-5/8

I’m 6’2 -220#

There have been two other out on this board - both similar height but much small builds - probably in the 170-180 range and it worked well for them aswell.

The great thing about the long boxes is that while this current set up may be the ticket- there are endless options I have yet to try.

That is clean keep it up

Thanks for the info.

Jim - thanks for the kind words! Really appreciate it.

Sharkcountry - no problem. If you have any more questions just let me know.

Awesome Stuff. This is why I visit Swaylocks!

What fin setup are you using on the original board you started this thread with?

I am using the same set up as described with the blue board and it works well but just wasn’t the feel I was personally after so I changed the template.

The original board had a much more skatey feel to it, which a couple guys who are into 80s twins really liked. I started to get used to it but then we had a long spell of bad surf so I changed it up. - once we get some good swell back in the water I plan on continuing to work out the original board.

I’m sure by drawing the fins out a bit more I could have reached a place more to my liking.

I also wanted to compare the set up to a standard broomtail twingle.

An educational read, from an exceptional young builder.