…I might be moving to Montana soon

to raise me up a crop of dental floss

Moving

Moving to Montana.

…Frank Zappa, musical genius… R.I. P.

Is that a real poncho?

Is that a Mexican poncho?

Or is that a Sears poncho?

I worked on his house in Laurel Canyon. Interesting man. Still a huge fan.R.I.P. indeed.

Hey 'Verb, It’s because those damn magazines are here.

Hahahaha! You guys are the best and most interesting group around. Ryan used to work at Fiberglass Hawaii and now he’s going around shaping so we thought it would be cool to follow up with him. It’s funny too what Reverb said about the one handed planing technique of the aussies…Ryan had some pretty interesting words to say about that. I have a clip that I can post on here that will make you all laugh but I want to make sure he’s okay with it first. We just want to show different shapers, at different stages in their career, in different areas that we deal with…that’s all. We always welcome suggestions for videos or interviews so don’t hold back from telling us what you guys want to see, we’ll do it, for real. 

Unfortunately it too L8 for that.

Swaylockians arise!

Hear the call to arms!!!

We march against the Fiberglass Hawaiians at dawn!

Victor per git ad spolia!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

just have fun!

Dead do yo really think you could get an organized Army from swaylockians?  Here is how it go. First call to arms would go Ok as long as beer and a Fish fry were offered. After that it would be all down hill.  The first thing would be, everyone would argue over who makes the best spear. Then of course the best method and materials for swords building. People would disagree on the best size swords for different type of fights. What is the best shape and size for a shield? should it be more aero dynamics? weight VS protection.   I don’t want to think about what would happen if someone bought a spear made in China! 

Fiberglass Hawaii can relax. The first sign of a 6 foot swell with off shore breeze would put an end to any siege anyway.

Roman shield art would look great on a mini Simmons  

Guess this ‘roast’ is … over!

In the meantime take a look at Brad here… he has REALLY simple surfing equipment, no hidden agenda and his surfing speaks for itself!

Bruce--------  You can usually find the green soft floats at the end of the aisle with all the stucco and drywall tools. in the front of the store near the sheetrock concrete block etc.  I bought one recently.  Green soft foam.  The best hard block I have is a wooden mahogany trowel that I took the handle off of.  Most of my blocks are hand made from wood with various densities of EVA glued to them.  I bought a couple of nice handmade blocks a few years back at the estate sale of the late great Chris Vandervoort(sp?).  I also don’t mind at all buying new and interesting blocks and hand tools from the likes of Greenlight, Foam EZ and Fiberglass Hawaii.  I like the balsa block made by Flexpad that I got from Foam EZ.   I bought a new-fangled “fred” tool from Greenlight recently and the High density foam block that Fiberglass Hawaii sells is the best block for fewest bucks. Lowel

AND-----------  Fiberglass Hawaii is da kine. And I am glad they turned Grant loose on the internet.  The webpage is up and running and I dig the vids.  Really enjoyed the shaping video with Ben and the interveiw with Dave Gott.  Grant you should go over to Maui and do some stuff on Jeff Timpone or Matt Kinoshita.  Or the classic would be Gramp’s “Rockin’ Chair Ding Repair”.    Lowel

Thanks for the locator for another “greenie”… I 'll add a fresh one or two along with my more coveted self made blocks and various backings.  Hey, I was surprised (more like shocked) to see a “Dorsal” SUP for $428 right near the cash registers at Home Depot.  

Costco? Sure… but Home Depot?  There was just one standing upright with no other stock around. I doubt people will be waiting in line outside for them to open to p/u their new SUP’s… though wax would be good!

This is one of the reasons I still come back to Swaylocks. I’m home sick today and catching up on some threads.  This one made my day.  Surf history, how to, comedy, penetrating analysis. You’ll laugh you’ll  cry you’ll want to take the whole family to see it. Or just read in bed and laugh. Thx guys. 

All the best

You should be taking notes from RL. He is a marketing/shaping genius. I glassed a 6’ asym recently shaped by RL and the shape cost(not inculdind blank) was close to what I sell a complete board for. He is in the Dick Brewer category for fees. I checked out his site and price list and all I have to say is Effin ay!!! The hippster sloppy rail wrap of deck color to the bottom clear glass job 8’ hull for $1500+. Obvisously has a following and wish nothing but the best for him and his family living the wonderful lifestyle he seems to have from shaping. I doubt trust funds are necessary resources and the silence of any whinning from him says it all. Would love to talk with him someday. If he is as interesting as his shapes it would be a memorable conversation.

…Greg Tate you are right, I really like these threads that it s transform in a “real” chat that have all what you say, without some body talking about off topics etc.

By the way BB30, how do you glass a Lovelace shape and never meet him?

You can wrap sandpaper around anything.  One of my favorites is a Louisville Slugger with the handle cut off just below the lable, wrapped in EVA.   I never could get the habit of using a block with a handle on it other than a Fred or Pleskunas.  I don’t like metal backers and I don’t see the big deal of using a float as a shaping tool.  I have used a drywall circle cutter for years though to mark rails and cut laps. Better to keep the mouth shut than whine about the fame that somehow by passed me.  Lowel

What is said is said…especially when it’s in print.

…or is it?

Getting the price of a brewer shape. Didn’t say the skill or imply it. Quote you mention wasn’t from me.  I scratch my head every tow session with all the $1500 5’8" DB tow boards out there. Mine cost about $60 before fins and straps. Haven’t read any interviews about him just saw some pics and a pricelist. Colored free laps are brilliant that people think they are cool and buy them.  G   E  N   I  U   S.

Wisdom.

I agree that cheapie greenie thing was just an impulse buy and it works okay except wraping my hand around the stupid handle iwhich I tried removing. There was a point in time that I was into finding the cheapest lowest tech common stuff to shape with in case I started traveling and didn’t want to lug special expensive tools around. 

Greenie sure as hell isn’t “essential”.

It works and I got used to it… but then I get bored with doing everything EXACTLY the same even though I am highly disciplined from decades of shaping… so sometimes use different techniques to get the same end result. 

At the end of the day, nothing is flush and plumb when you are building square boxes on a round planet.

Yeah my travel bag has gotten to exspensive to fly. But the bag, a box and a few templates, favorite straight edges and battens still fit in the back of the old van.