The Handshape Manifesto...

Someone sent this to me, author unknown…

1. Whereas Surfing was born out of a tradition of craftsmanship dating to the beginnings of the pastime,

2. Whereas Surfing was spread throughout the pacific to the shores of California and beyond in a manner seeking to share the magic of the experience,

3. Whereas Surfing pioneers undertook to understand, enjoy, and improve the surfing lifestyle,

4. Whereas Surfing pioneers undertook to understand, enjoy, and improve the surfing crafts that were the heart of the surfing experience,

5. Whereas Surfing culture developed around ideals of freedom, experimentation, individuality, creativity, appreciation, camaraderie, and collaboration during a time of widespread conformity,

6. Whereas Surfing craft evolved as an art form as opposed to a manufactured item in concert with the ideals of freedom, experimentation, individuality,

creativity, appreciation, camaraderie, and collaboration during a period of widespread conformity,

1. Whereas Surfing’s heroes are most notably and profoundly those whom surfers see at their local surf spots, allowing interpersonal contact and an understanding of the shared ideals possessed within surfing’s culture,

2. Whereas Surfing is an essentially an uncontrolled and unpredictable endeavor yielding new and rewarding experiences,

3. Whereas handshaped Surf boards remain true to the above stated positions of opinion and fact, separating surfing from any number of other “sports” and placing surfing into a unique and beautiful category unto itself,

4. Whereas Surfing is turned away from its original ideals and transformed into a “sport” of conformity, isolation, and consumerism by the use of machine manufactured surfboards,

5. Therefore, I hereby state my decided preference for Surfcraft created by the hands of surfer craftsmen.

thats Great, I’m going to print that out and stick it up on the wall in my workshop.

In a world where the authorities go house to house and confiscate any and all but the machine built surfboards.

The creators of these articles of form and function are rounded up much like the Templars and locked away for the individualism of independent thinking.

Much like Midnight Express, “you must not be a bad machine”.

It is almost a passive agressive movement to punish those who strive to do the best job humanly possible in the throw away society we have grown into ever so slowly.

We have met the enemy and they are us

Posted on “Born To Lose” blog on July 17 by A Smith. He didn’t credit anyone else, so, I assume it was written by him…

Got to love his bio,“I’m a Smorgasboarder. I partake of all surfcraft without discrimination.”