The parallel world of surfboards and motorcycles.

Years ago near where I live there was this big resevoir that would dry up every summer. The walls were a good 80’ high from tapered to vertical in some places… The dirt was perfect loam. Anyway, I used to carve that thing up on my dirt bike like a giant wave. Full on berm shots off the top throwing big roosts then dropping down to the bottom. Do a big berm shot down there like a bottom turn, then blast back up the vert face… The whole time I was visualizing a giant wave. It was so much fun… Now the thing never dries up because no more agriculture down stream… Oh well… Had it good for years…

What a great collection of shots. Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

That archway is “whatever you do, don’t look down”, material.

The feeling of big carves on a bike are great.

I ride motocross and it is very much like surfing in that you have to flow with the track.It is one of the most phisically demanding sports as well.I love Bikes!

…I dunno about your other life, but in this life is possible without too much money

this Triumph is my DAILY ride (not a Sunday motorcycle) and is from 1948…and NOT like the old Harleys that ONLY ride with the new kits inside the old engines

all crucial parts of this engine is from that year

So where do I (and the Wombat) fit in this grand Scheme?- “I love the smell of two stoke oil in the morning”

Reverb,

That bike is way cool…

I’ve been obsessed with mo’cyc’s since grommethood, an obsession only tempered by intimidation after a stack 25years ago…

I count it as an accomplishment that overcame that and I now ride too fast.

I trawl the used bikes pages looking for a per-war rigid framed UK bike. It’ll come…don’t care how long it takes. It’s quite a co-incidence that yours is the bobber style…thats what I’m into.

The forums for bobber fans have kinda become my Swaylocks in the sense that they give me the Newbie thrill…

Josh

Feeling a bit ashamed when I see Reverb’s bike, but here’s mine anyway… Poor Honda rebel 125cc…

Couple more comfy seats for Cuttle…

BTW, anyone seen such a thing as a board-sidecar or trailer?

would that be a Hodaka wombat?

Hi Matt- That would be a 72’ Hodaka Wombat- The Street-legal brother of the Combat Wombat- She does’nt need it to be 3 ft, and glassy- Just fire her up and go!

the thing looks bitchin’! back in 5-6th grade hodakas were the rage around where i lived. in 6th grade i got a yamaha 175 enduro which sure was fun, but on the motocross track, it was all about hodaka!

Quote:

So where do I (and the Wombat) fit in this grand Scheme?- “I love the smell of two stoke oil in the morning”

Wow! Hodaka… I learned on a Hodaka Super Rat 100 back in the early 70’s…

More pics of Hawaii Riding…

This trail is in my yard on the Big Island…

Secret Trail I made above Haleiwa

I like this pic because I shot it on the fly, one handed. Almost ate sh*t but I got the pic… Kauai

Typical Jungle obstacle in Hawaii

Uhhh, deeper puddle than he thought… Hee hee!

Hey Carve…

Those shots shame me. All I’ve dealt with is pussy Ol’ roads, albeit pot-holed roads…

Have you ever discovered new surf-spots ?

Josh

Quote:

So where do I (and the Wombat) fit in this grand Scheme?-

Far, far ahead of me and my mighty '65 Benelli Leoncino ( roughly translated as ‘lion cub’ ) below. This isn’t an actual pic of my bike, just one of the same model.

Mine was bought used, all flat black, and I suspect a bit hot.

If the Wombat compares to, say, an early '70s Weber Australia or similar, the Leoncino compares to a cut-down popout.

doc…

I am ejoying all the Moto stuff here!- Modern (Carve’- your pics are insane!) to the nostalgic-(Doc, your tiddler is really cool!) There is a deep Surf/Bike conection- Always was, (ie “On any Sunday”) Matt, I dug the early 70’s Yamaha DT’s , but Honda’s were king in my neighborhood! Hodaka had one of the most interesting histories, but thats for another forum!- Bikes like the “Combat Wombat”, “Super Rat”. “Dirt Squirt”, and “Road Toad” might just be the Classic Transition era rides of the alternate universe! It took me 47 years to satisfy my Hodaka itch. The first family bike was a 69’ Honda CT-90, with the dual range setting- (Still own the same bike, as pictured below!) We would put the CT on the front of our longbed Chevy van, and use it as the lead vehicle, on coastline assaults, mid peninsula Baja, in the mid 70s- It could get up just about any hill that a 14 year old surfkid might care to take on, in the trail setting! Low top tennis shoes and a Bell half helmet were about all the gear used to keep the body in one piece. Took a couple wicked spills with my bro on the back as we did the pointbreak shuffel! Nowadays with an extra 150 lbs to burden the CT, It still scoots! In the late 80s, found a $600.00, 64’ Triumph T100SC, Mutt, After about a year of good service it left me 20 miles from home, on APS in Santa Barbara, stuck in 2nd gear- limped it home, and it sat till just last year. Its slowly being brought back to life as we speak. Why is it I can sell my old boards, just not my old bikes? Finally, a bit of trivia for everyone- What kind of bike was featured in the Late 60s “El Paipo” add, with the bitchen spoon on the back of the Moto, and a guy sitting up on a hill surveying a fine looking lineup- think it said something about freedom or discovery- Cant remember for sure, heavy brain cell loss during the college years!

www.deus.com.au

these guys surf and build custom bikes- pretty epic shop they have too.

Quote:

Finally, a bit of trivia for everyone- What kind of bike was featured in the Late 60s “El Paipo” add, with the bitchen spoon on the back of the Moto, and a guy sitting up on a hill surveying a prisene looking lineup- think it said something about freedom or discovery- Cant remember for sure, heavy brain cell loss during the college

I’m with ya on the brain cell loss, though in my case it was more job-related.

In any event, thanks to Nels we have it still: http://vagabondsurf.com/VintagePaipoAds.html

And I’d say that’s a Yamaha DT1 ( http://garagecompany.com/bikes/japanese/DT1/index.html for other photos) - the old Dirty Ones, maybe the first Japanese bikes built to bang around the back woods.

One of the nice things about being a kneelo is that yes, you can strap it to your back and set off on your bike to places the crowds don’t go…

doc…

I’m going to have to get some old photos of mine scanned so I can post them for the enthusiasts among us.

While landlocked in Chiang Mai, Thailand back in the late 90’s/early 2000’s my riding/tinkering with bikes really came to the fore.

Spent an awful lot of time in a spare parts cum metal work shop there having the Thai staff make all sorts of custom bits and pieces for bikes I would bring in.

The price was not in the least prohibitive. The made a pair of stainless steel straight thru pipes for a Harley Sportster I had for 1500 baht ($40 Aud) once.

Awesome rides off road up in the hills surrounding my wife’s hilltribe village as well.

Taking the tarmac up to there (140 kms) and then on a loop back round to Chiang Mai (total 360 kms) had over 1700 corners.

my latest two-wheel project…

quite a bit of stuff done to 'er so far, more than i’d like to list at the moment; geared for torque and canyons, not high speed stuff, quite a fun bike and a good thing to take my mind off of surfboards when my brain is overloaded :slight_smile:

Quote:

BTW, anyone seen such a thing as a board-sidecar or trailer?

Here you go Josh, Trailer and towbar built in my sister’s 2nd floor flat kitchen…

Still have the leather pants but they only come up to my knees before the circulation gets cut off!!!