the single keel board

the article by Steve Seebold [an American] in this July '74 issue of Surfer may interest you Josh .

If I can’t scan and reduce it to a readable size for here , I can photocopy the article , and send it to you , if you are interested ?

cheers mate !

ben

Thanks Chip! that would be great.

and it reminds me I do also expect one day i'll have a lot of articles on single fins and other stuff that i can organise and make an easy printable file. i'm still colaborating but it should be good stuff.

a test …

will this work ???

…well, here goes !

next bit …

…the “aussielator” almost sounds like a hicksy board name eh ?!

As a “rider / disclaimer” , it seems that , as boards got a bit wider , shorter , and the keels reduced in size / volume [see the example in my opening photo of ‘duck’ , with HIS smaller keels ],

THEN cutbacks became more possible …perhaps figure 8 roundhouses even ? [which is what Richie West was doing on his stubbie in ‘Crystal Voyager’ , while Nat , because of the size and narrowness of his spear , and the MAAASSSSIVE single keel , was doing long drawn-out “rollercoasters” , basically .

Mind you , in all fairness to Nat , he stuck it HIGH under the lip in a couple of lefthanders in that movie , and it held in well !

Well , I hope some of you have enjoyed this article [used without permission]

cheers !

ben

…Hicksy ,

if you are reading this …

I hope you still have that single keel ‘ZoSurf’ sent me ? [which we tried in the moonrocket for it’s launching , remember that keel …the red one ?? ]

Reviving this thread HAS got me wanting to try that , in my 7’ single fin …

thanks mate !

ben

Thanks for posting that Ben what a GREAT read!!!

STOKED!

whoooo 32" base…***massive! perhaps thats why my mellow keel at 13" base with a tad higher aspect cutsback so much better.

DEFINATLY try that zosurf keel chip!

i’m loving these designs.

my keel/hybrid inspired by the Pat Morgan Keel and the Brewer/Lopez gun. a bit shorter and wider for aussie conditions. it goes GREAT by the way.!

ah gerringong …miss that place ! [ross is 7 miles south of there]

yep , NOW maybe you can understand that guys comment about them being awful to cutback on . The shorter ones , like ZoSurf’s one “should” work great , hopefully . [His one he sent me was more like a cross between a reduced D-fin / twin keel outline …no pointy bits , which I am HAPPY about , I MUST say !]

ben

Wayne Lynch did a pretty nice backhand cuttie in the surfers journal i think it was on his.

can’t wait to here/see how your keel goes and looks too.

…Think “clubbie boards” ,and you get the idea ! [mine , however , should TURN !!]

ben

i’ve always wanted too just grab one of those clubbie boards and try it out, maybe paddle to a remote island and meet my avatar…

I think you need to post a larger version of your avatar. So, uh we know what you’re talking about.

Apparently she’s a tv star in america or something.

I like the sequence,

mmm

is she a vampire?

…ambrose…

only if there’s no swell .

or if you want her to be …

Seems that the single keel fins have mostly been used in powerfull waves with pintails, but the article you posted hinted of the possibillity of also aplying them to wider outlines/tails in smaller/weaker waves. Narrow high rockered spears like Nat's crystalvoyager board would not work in averidge conditions with any fin set up in my opinion.

Has any one tried aplying them to wider boards, I've been playing with the idea of using them om a widetailed board for some very shallow rocky spots that I have damaged some fins on in the past. Twin "keels" on a tweaked midget Veebottom outline, those keels would provide the hold that that huge tailblock needs.

… To be continued , ‘Sami’ , to be continued…

:slight_smile: