This Years Shaper Of The Year Award Goes To...

Well now that Rusty and Al Merrick are out of the way I can only think of one name left and that’s JC. Will it be John Carpers turn this year? Will Surfing magazine give Mr Carper this award as some sort of obligation? Got to get the big names out of the way right? Rusty & Al Merrick were pretty much guaranteed. Any other sure winners out there?

Ambrose M. Curry III

Who spends the third most advertising dollars? Whoever it is sure seems like a shoe in to me.

-Jon

Quote:
Who spends the third most advertising dollars? Whoever it is sure seems like a shoe in to me.

-Jon

Wow. That’s pretty a pretty jaded comment. I think Stretch was honored without spending a dime on advertising. Same with Bert. They are now only indirectly associated with advertisers vis a vis Surftech and Firewire. And Bert’s not even part of that anymore.

The sad thing is I happened to have the “Surfing” issue with Bert lying next to me and the only other shaper with an ad was Doc Lausch. there were Surftech and Aviso. There were also a few surfboard/clothing companies- Town and Country, Wave Riding Vehicles, and Aloha, but no mention of their shapers names. And that’s it.

The “surf” industry is a clothing and accessory industry, not a surfboard industry.

My vote goes to George Greenough for Shaper of the Year based on lifetime achievement and total body of work. Few have been more inspirational or revolutionary in their approach to surfboard design.

Kind regards,

Steve Coletta

i second the george greenough vote !!!

only problem is he left santa barbara

why not matt biolos? especially with all the stuff he’s doing with taxing boards that come from low-wage countries. i dunno if he’s won yet or not…

Following in the course laid with Stretch then Bert and the fact that we’re only looking over a year then I vote for Greg Griffin.

There’s perhaps only a handful of others who were at his stature in this business to have gone thru what this man has gone through over the past year and still have the heart and soul to spend three hours talking design with a “potential” client he doesn’t even know… Guys here who’ve made the call know what I’m talking about.

I know there’s been some here lately with personal health battles but Chandler will always have my admiration for doing his very best to stay grounded and focused to still produce the best possible product he can with all the challenges he faced over the past 18-24 months.

George has definitely lived a charmed life but many others like Greg have gone through a living hell just to be here and do what they do…

My hat’s off to all those who struggle through their personal battles not due to their own self indulgence and still have the focus to produce the best they can…

Sometimes life can be really mean and cruel

How folks react to that experience is what seperates us…

when I saw this thread title only one name came to mind:

Griff.

Yo Steve,

George in a class by himself. IMHO his real status reaches far beyond a prize of the year. Your statement about his overall contribution to surfing rings loud and true for me. Frankly, I think he’s the most influential designer in the history of surfing. He is the man that showed us how to surf the power of the wave and maneuver within it. Shaper of the last 50 years, lifetime achievement, father of surfboard research and development, creator of the high performance surfboard fin, inventor of applied flexibility in surf-craft ~ the list goes on and on. In a way he is to surfboards what Jules Verne is to space travel and the submarine.

I’m sure who ever gets the award will be very deserving of it, but when I consider how the winner will be chosen I expect much of winning such an award will have to do with financial success.

I know some very gifted shapers personally who are small time on the money list and big time on creative endeavour. Hmmm…the French do have a way with words, don’t they? (-;

Hope you’re feeling well mate.

Seaya, Rich

Quote:

Sorry Oneula, but to suggest George has led a charmed life is to imply that somehow he has done it easy and had everything handed to him on a silver platter.

I can assure you mate , nothing could be further from the truth.

Ask Rennie Yater about that.

George, has done everything for himself, and now , in his sixties, is incredibly generous in sharing his knowledge.

There are always plenty of parasites hovering around looking to profit from his good nature, a continuing problem for him, but to those who come with good intentions , he does not hold back with his knowledge.

GG has suffered through the death of loved ones, health problems, legal imbroglios etc etc but it’ll be a cold day in hell before he comes on the internet and tells the world about it.

As to calling him “shaper of the year”, I know he would find that hilarious as he hasn’t shaped a board in years, although he recently made a “shaping bay” and has spoken about shaping a board.

His “shaping bay” is the most feral jungle setup imaginable; it’s about the furtherst thing possible from a chinese factory.

He has recently completed a rescue/fishing boat so maybe “boatbuilder of the year” would be more appropriate.

There’s no doubt on the lifetime achievement though…it’ll take years after his passing to fully appreciate his legacy.

Steve

Just to add: thats not to take anything away from Greg griffin, who no doubt deserves that nomination and has been through very traumatic times. Deepest sympathies to him.

Steve

I forgot about Lost. That would have to be another mandatory winner.

didn’t mean to insinuate anything but he did start off with a large trust grant that allowed him the flexibility to pursue his passion without worrying about too much about if you had shelter or food. Having some of that freedom probably allowed him to become the person he’s become.

Someone like George is just beyond all this industry cr*p like this magazine nomimation. In my opinion which again isn’t much it would almost be an insult to what George represents to the “lifestyle”.

Looking back he’ll be one of the “icons of influence” like Duke who shaped this thing called surfing into what it is today.

“shaper of the year” is an industry award and I’ve never thought George considered himself a major player in the surf industry as we know it.

George represents what surfing should really be focused about, its too bad the majority of the world just never got the message… The color green blinded us all and we went mainstream.

Good thoughts Rich (Halcyon) and Steve (Lennox76), It will be great day indeed when his legacy is fully appreciated by everyone whose had the joy of surfing come their way. You’re right, George would no doubt blush at the thought of an industry award or a shaper award. Here’s a couple of views of a George Greenough inspired board I shaped in the late 60s. Andrew Kidman’s movie “Glass Love” has a cool segment of Michael Peterson surfing a similar board on the Gold Coast. Another inspirational chapter of surf culture / history / surfboard design / surfing.

Greg Griffin is another worthy nominee. More shapers could take the time to “communicate” with surfer / clients and share their knowledge.

Kind regards,

Steve Coletta

How about Dick Brewer and Gary Linden… 90 years of combined experience, and they’re working together again after a seven year break. Still making boards for the best surfers in the world.

Quote:

The sad thing is I happened to have the “Surfing” issue with Bert lying next to me and the only other shaper

with an ad was Doc Lausch. there were Surftech and Aviso. There were also a few surfboard/clothing

companies- Town and Country, Wave Riding Vehicles, and Aloha, but no mention of their shapers names. And that’s it.

a whole lot of the marketing for shapers/boardbuilders comes in the way of photo incentives.

if you look at the photos (in articles and ads), how many “Channel Islands”,R dots, “…Losts”, “Mayhems” are in that magazine?

i’m guessin a lot. why pay for a full page add when you know you’re logo will be on almost every other page?

How about wun hunglow from shanghia, 7s have a full page spread in most magazines.

Quote:

Good thoughts Rich (Halcyon) and Steve (Lennox76), It will be great day indeed when his legacy is fully appreciated by everyone whose had the joy of surfing come their way. You’re right, George would no doubt blush at the thought of an industry award or a shaper award. Here’s a couple of views of a George Greenough inspired board I shaped in the late 60s. Andrew Kidman’s movie “Glass Love” has a cool segment of Michael Peterson surfing a similar board on the Gold Coast. Another inspirational chapter of surf culture / history / surfboard design / surfing.

Greg Griffin is another worthy nominee. More shapers could take the time to “communicate” with surfer / clients and share their knowledge.

Kind regards,

Steve Coletta

very nice indeed, the MP stuff in Glass Love and just MP stuff in general is all very cool and considering the equipment ridden, it makes that surfing even more inspirational ( at least for me ). all shapers mentioned are worthy of the award if they feel they need to have such an award, but just wanna mention Gordon Merchant who first did the tucked under rail edge, he goes mostly without credit for this …and MP for pushing the rocker back to between his feet from up in the nose, things that are still done today after 35 years of use and experimenting with other stuff…

Hey Pandanus

That’s a big call !

Everyone who knows anything says Wiliponglong is the best shaper in Shanghia. Jeez get with the program !

Cheers

Mooneemick