Thrailkill Pig Build Thread

Would love to see more pics, and hear about the details of glassing & finishing, also like to see some fin shots, & beach shots if u got 'em.

Yeah, nice. What’s the bottom look like. Single fin? Twingle?

Bill recommends a thick 8-inch single with a 6 inch base. I’m looking for one now. I’ll post a bottom pic when I get home. 

all the best

It’s a beautiful board, and I’d hate to ruin it, but I recently put 2 shorter single boxes in a board similar to your outline. I like the way it works.

My board was made to try a concept a guy here has been doing for a while, a true double ender. The wider end has about a half inch more rocker to make the single fin shape work a little better, but I like riding it as a twin if the waves are only head high or less. The boxes are about 2 inches in at the rear, and I use 7" fins.

Bernie and I have been riding piggish boards since the early 2000s.

I’ve kept piggy boards onhand for the last 10 years

I am adding a pig to my wish list!

For small/weak conditions - no more than a (slower) head high - I think the singlefin versions are a lot of fun to surf.   If the conditions are fast or big then it’s better to stick with wide point forward.  They tend to be more sensitive to paddling position, and there’s less margin for error on the transition so I don’t think they’re a good design for novices.  But for actively surfing a singlefin for the bottom turn and carrying through to the top and staying with the curl they’re a lot of fun.  

More 1969 Wayne Lynch, less 1974 Reno Abillera

IMO

Gdad that looks spot on  WRT the outline. I struggled to get it right before Bill helped me get it right. 

And full disclosure, I really struggled with the volan cloth. 

I think you have a nice curve in your template.   I would expect that board to give you a LOT of control and sensitivity under your feet, but I would also expect it to be quicker off the line as opposed to having a high top-end speed.  More pivot; less long-arcing-carves.   

I do all my shaping and paint work outside. Lights and tools are only as good as those who use them.

These boards were made made as twins.

Those two boards have nice fluid outlines.       They remind me of shapes done by Billy Caster.        If they look good, they generally go good.    Nicely done.